Is Austin Getting Worn Down?

I started worrying about the kinds of minutes K was playing Austin a few weeks ago, and now I'm worrying about it more. In the last 15 games, starting with the first FSU game, his minutes have gone like this:

38-38-37-35-43-39-40-33-32-37-41-36-38-40-34. That's an average of 37.4 mpg.

In those 15 games, he's shot even 45% or above only four times -- only once in the last nine games, that being the blowout over BC.

I love this kid's game. He's a flat our baller and he plays with such passion -- like I wish every Duke player did. We'd be nowhere without him. Nowhere.

But is it just me, or does anyone have concerns that the freshman has gotten worn down?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I started worrying about the kinds of minutes K was playing Austin a few weeks ago, and now I'm worrying about it more. In the last 15 games, starting with the first FSU game, his minutes have gone like this:

In those 15 games, he's shot even 45% or above only four times -- only once in the last nine games, that being the blowout over BC.

I love this kid's game. He's a flat our baller and he plays with such passion -- like I wish every Duke player did. We'd be nowhere without him. Nowhere.

But is it just me, or does anyone have concerns that the freshman has gotten worn down?
    He didn't look worn down in either the VT or FSU game to me. That full court sprint to get the bucket to seal the VT game showed he still had plenty of gas in the tank, and he was a monster down the stretch today (with the exception of his brainfart on the next to last play). Those aren't the signs of tired legs.

He's a kid who has "poor" shot selection because he takes difficult shots sometimes unnecessarily. But he has had a habit of making them. In the last few games, he's not hit as many of those shots. But part of that is due to playing good defenses. FSU, UNC, and VT really crowded the perimeter with tall, athletic players. I think it's just a matter of hitting a shooting slump against the wrong teams.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything from Austin that makes me think he's running out of gas. In addition to the full court sprint in the VT game, there was the stellar drive and score today with about 45 seconds left in the game. That was a stunning play from a freshman.

Think about it for a second. The kid, still a freshman, got the ball and had the presence of mind to wait for the opening, and score in PERFECT timing to execute a 2 possessions for one trade with FSU. He came down, looked for a 3, didn't see it, did that hand wave like he did before shooting over Zeller to tell his teammates, "I know, I got this", and then he drove, in control, for 2 points to cut FSU's lead to 1, leaving enough time in the game where Duke was guaranteed to get the last shot.

In the end, we lost, because FSU made a great shot, and Austin followed that stellar play with a pretty poorly executed one. That happens. Even Jordan missed some game-on-the-line shots in his career.

But Austin looked to me, at the end of the game, like the guy on our team who probably had the most gas in his tank.

Now we've got probably 6 days before our next game, and then (hopefully) just 2 games per week for 3 weeks. I don't think physical exhaustion is going to be a factor for Austin from here on out, despite the pounding he takes on some of those drives.

Addendum: I don't have a problem with Austin trying to take that last shot on his own, even though he didn't pull it off. Right now, I can't think of anyone else on this team I want with the ball in his hands and the game on the line. The kid is amazingly cool under pressure, and he wants to be the guy taking the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Honestly, I haven't seen anything from Austin that makes me think he's running out of gas. In addition to the full court sprint in the VT game, there was the stellar drive and score today with about 45 seconds left in the game. That was a stunning play from a freshman.

Think about it for a second. The kid, still a freshman, got the ball and had the presence of mind to wait for the opening, and score in PERFECT timing to execute a 2 possessions for one trade with FSU. He came down, looked for a 3, didn't see it, did that hand wave like he did before shooting over Zeller to tell his teammates, "I know, I got this", and then he drove, in control, for 2 points to cut FSU's lead to 1, leaving enough time in the game where Duke was guaranteed to get the last shot.

In the end, we lost, because FSU made a great shot, and Austin followed that stellar play with a pretty poorly executed one. That happens. Even Jordan missed some game-on-the-line shots in his career.

But Austin looked to me, at the end of the game, like the guy on our team who probably had the most gas in his tank.

Now we've got probably 6 days before our next game, and then (hopefully) just 2 games per week for 3 weeks. I don't think physical exhaustion is going to be a factor for Austin from here on out, despite the pounding he takes on some of those drives.

Addendum: I don't have a problem with Austin trying to take that last shot on his own, even though he didn't pull it off. Right now, I can't think of anyone else on this team I want with the ball in his hands and the game on the line. The kid is amazingly cool under pressure, and he wants to be the guy taking the shot.
    No fault on him, he's a freshman...but ya gotta know to look for another option when the shot isn't there...he had an opening for a second, but pump faked before his guy was back on him. Those kind of things come with experience sometimes.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    No fault on him, he's a freshman...but ya gotta know to look for another option when the shot isn't there...he had an opening for a second, but pump faked before his guy was back on him. Those kind of things come with experience sometimes.
    Agree 100%. He had his mind set to take the 3 and, when it didn't develop, he stayed locked in and forced it. He's lucky he didn't get called for a push-off, then he tried to draw a foul in a situation where the refs simply aren't going to give him that gift. Amazingly, he still got the shot on the rim. With a little more experience, he handles that last play better. I'll take that play sometimes in a kid who'll also give me the preceding play I detailed and the Zeller shot.

I don't think so. I do think it would be helpful for someone else to (consistently) step up and share the offensive load with Austin. We have put a lot on Austin's shoulders and he frequently has risen to the challenge with many, many clutch plays. The kid is as you say "a flat out baller" and we would really struggle without him.

If anything he's seemed to me to get stronger and better-conditioned as the season has gone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    If anything he's seemed to me to get stronger and better-conditioned as the season has gone on.
    And we should have put the ball in his hands more often this weekend than we did.

After reading the threads this morning, the appropriate title seems to be:

Is Austin Getting Torn Down?
    and the answer unfortunately is "yes" in many comments I've seen.

Way too much undeserved and even hostile criticism toward Austin IMO.
    He's our best player and a winner.

I think Austin is less worn down physically and more likely he is closer to wearing down mentally. His skills are better than your typical freshman, hence he is the freshman on the year. But there is a lot of mental strain that comes from playing for one of the best coaches and best programs. And confident as he is, it is still a lot for a young man to take on. I'm sure he tunes out the detractors that criticize his every move. I think he is fine conditioning wise, but you got to wonder if the mental strain is wearing on him a bit. A long season can do that to the best of them.

I hadn't thought of this before, but you may be right. I don't think he's physically worn down, but I think his judgement has reverted MORE to what he was like early in the year. He may just not be as mentally quick to incorporate the new things he's learned because he's a bit weary.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    After reading the threads this morning, the appropriate title seems to be:

Is Austin Getting Torn Down?
    and the answer unfortunately is "yes" in many comments I've seen.

Way too much undeserved and even hostile criticism toward Austin IMO.
    He's our best player and a winner.
    In my opinion he is our best player but not our only player and in many instances he plays like he's he the only player on his team which is counterproductive to the way our team has historically played. I posted this on
    the recruiting thread, but think it is more appropriate here:

Well, I'll throw something out that I truly believe...it wouldn't bother me at all if Austin left because I think unless he makes significant improvement in his distributive abilities his game is not conducive to "team play" that is so necessary for Duke teams to play championship basketball the Duke way. I hope he can change the way he plays but if he doesn't I am not interested in watching him controlling the ball and not getting others involved. I think it causes other when they do get a chance to shoot, to take their shoot because they haven't touched the ball for long stretches of the game...I think his kinda of "one on one" plays spread to other players, like Curry.

I like Austin, he's gonna make it in the pro's, I think if he stayed he would improve in many aspects, but if he comes back next yr and the offense revolves around him with the ball and his assists don't improve dramatically it's gonna be a significant problem for the team. You can talk about other point guards all you want coming in but he is the one that has had the ball in his hands the most so to me he is the general that has control of the game, most of the games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    Yep, that's why these one and dones need to go somewhere else other than Duke. Hurley didn't start to gel until 1/2 way through his second year and he was far better as a collegiate player than Rivers. Duke is different than other places, but, Duke is becoming everybody else and it ain't gonna work out.
    Give it a rest. You have been making this argument tenaciously on another thread, and you don't need to bring it to this one, where it is clearly not on topic. Duke is NOT "becoming everybody else," even if they now actively recruit a few more players who probably won't play in college for 3 or 4 years than they used to. This is the world of college basketball, and it isn't going to change unless the NBA changes the rules. Duke has been pretty selective so far about the top-level recruits they have brought in, looking for maturity, character, and the ability to be complete Duke students for as long as they are at Duke. These recruits work within a base of longer-term, slightly less high-profile players who remain the bulk of the program. It isn't always going to work perfectly, but it's a sensible, balanced approach, and ignoring all of the top recruits doesn't seem like a viable strategy either.