Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Coaching Carousel -- You Need to be a HC

Most of the way through the annual coaching carousel, we can give a recap of results to date. Here's the data. I think I missed some schools, so please feel free to add on --

Code:
    Vacancy	Former Coach	Reason	New Coach	Former Position
    MissSt	Rick Stansbury	Fired	Rick Ray	Asst - Clemson
    Tulsa	Doug Wojcik	Fired	Danny Manning	Asst - Kansas
    TennSt	John Cooper	Left for Miami O.	Travis Williams	Asst - Tenn State
    UAB	Mike Davis	Fired	Jerod Haase	Asst - UNC
    VaTech	Seth Greenberg	Fired	James Johnson	Asst - Va. Tech
    C. Mich	Ernie Zeigler	Fired	Keno Davis	Ex-HC - Providence
    K-State	Frank Martin	Left for USC	Bruce Weber	Fired as HC - Ill
    CofC	Bobby Cremins	Retired	Doug Wojcik	Fired HC - Tulsa
    Neb.      Doc Sadler	Fired	Tim Miles	HC - Colo State
    SC	Darrin Horn	Fired	Frank Martin	HC - K-State
    TCU	Jim Christian	Left for Ohio U.	Trent Johnson	HC - LSU
    LSU	Trent Johnson	Left for TCU	Johnny Jones	HC - N. Texas
    Ill.  	Bruce Weber	Fired	John Groce	HC - Ohio U.
    Miami-O	Charlie Coles	Retired	John Cooper	HC - Tenn state
    Co. St.	Tim Miles	         Left for Nebraska	Larry Eustachy	HC - USM
    R. Isl.	Jimmy Baron	Fired	Danny Hurley	HC - Wagner
    Ohio U.	Jim Groce	         Left for Ill.	Jim Christian 	HC -TCU
    USM      Larry Eustachy    Left for Col. St.  Donnie Tyndall HC - Morehead St.
    IllSt.	Chris Lowry	Fired
    Here are some observations. You can supply the generalizations.

1. Of the 19 vacancies, ten coaches were fired; seven left for new HC jobs (not all of them better ones); and two retired.
    2. Of the 18 filled vacancies:

• Ten were filled by current HCs at other schools.
    • Three were filled by former HCs, two of whom were fired at the end of this season.
    • Only five of the 18 vacancies were filled by promoting assistants

Surely there were more than 19 HC vacancies this year, so I have undoubtedly missed some. But it is striking to me that only five jobs were filled by hiring assistants, and only three of these were from other schools.

sagegrouse

You forgot SMU and Larry Brown...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    You forgot SMU and Larry Brown...
    My only excuse is that I thought this was a family Web site, and an entry with both Matt Doherty and Larry Brown is clearly NC-17.

sage

Working on the ESPN List

ESPN has a list of 41 Div I head coaching changes. I will analyze and post results later.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    My only excuse is that I thought this was a family Web site, and an entry with both Matt Doherty and Larry Brown is clearly NC-17.

sage
    Well it goes with the whole "Duke fans like to see UNC guys fail."

If anyone has dibs on the word "failure" it's Matt Doherty. And Larry Brown at SMU is a failure-in-waiting...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Mark Macon, out at Binghamton.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ach-mark-macon

I wouldn't want to touch that job right now with a 7'5" Chuck Nevitt.

Stats on Coaching Turnover

For the 42 coaching losses, there are a few lessons. Number 1, don't plan your retirement party any too soon.

Of the 347 Division I programs:

Only four coaches retired (1.2 percent), but 27 were fired or resigned with losing records (6.9 percent).

In other words, extrapolating from this year's data, you are 6-7 times more likely to get fired than to ride off into the sunset at the end of a long career. Overall, 12 percent of coaching positions turned over this year, which, if repeated every year, implies an average tenure of about eight years

While there is quite a bit of "churn" in the coaching laundry, but it not as much as I suspected:

11 coaches left for new Div I head coaching jobs. That's 3 percent of the total Div I coaches. Not all of these were upward movements; for instance, TCU coach Jim Christian left for Ohio U.

Of the 36 jobs filled so far:

11, as noted, were filled with head coaches who moved from other Div I schools.

Five were filled by former head coaches. Interestingly, three of these guys had been fired a few days before: Jim Baron went from Rhode Island to Canisius; Doug Wojcik was canned at Tulsa and landed at the C of C as Bobby Cremins' replacement; Bruce Weber was axed at Illinois only to land at K-State.

17 assistant coaches got head coaching jobs. Five of these were already at the school (counting James Johnson as a VT assistant, not a Clemson assistant). Assuming each Div I school has three assistants, then the promotion rate to head coach is less than 2 percent per year (17 divided by 1,041).

One new head coach had been a former assistant not actively coaching (Pat Kelsey going to Winthrop was a former Xavier assistant).

Two were "none of the above." Larry Brown's previous gig was as HC of the Bobcats. It had been 24 years since he was the head coach at Kansas. Jay Spoonhour, hired at Eastern Illinois, had been at a community college; he is the son of Charlie, former UNLV and St. Louis coach.

sagegrouse
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-02-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: typo

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Mark Macon, out at Binghamton.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ach-mark-macon

I wouldn't want to touch that job right now with a 7'5" Chuck Nevitt.
    I wonder why a school in that position would wait so long after the season ends. It would have made sense to me to pull the trigger the day after the locker room's lights are out.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wonder why a school in that position would wait so long after the season ends. It would have made sense to me to pull the trigger the day after the locker room's lights are out.
    True, but in Macon's defense, he had to clean up a filthy mess of epic proportions left by his predecessor. Not sure who was going to succeed after that ugly episode. Still, not sure why they waited so long...

Clint Jackson‏@clintjackson1
    UNC hires Hubert Davis as new assistant basketball coach. Great hire for UNC. Personable, recognizable, rapport builder with credibility.

I guess he's leaving Gameday. Hopefully they take this opportunity to get rid of Digger too.