Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    This is an interesting move if the reports are true. Seems like a lateral, at best, change for Frank Martin.
    Location-wise its a step up, but competition-wise its not. Especially with Mizzou leaving, Kansas now has K-State as its main rival (this from the perspective of an ACC type, more informed opinions from B12 country welcome)

This is an interesting move if the reports are true. Seems like a lateral, at best, change for Frank Martin.
    I can't see how it's even lateral. But, he's apparently very upset with his AD at KSU. The Samuels suspension for the Syracuse game was apparently icing on the cake. His one decent recruit apparently signed only a grant in aid agreement (not an LOI), which should mean he can follow Martin wherever and sure looks like there have been issues brewing.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonandblue View Post
    I can't see how it's even lateral. But, he's apparently very upset with his AD at KSU. The Samuels suspension for the Syracuse game was apparently icing on the cake. His one decent recruit apparently signed only a grant in aid agreement (not an LOI), which should mean he can follow Martin wherever and sure looks like there have been issues brewing.
    Well, if he's looking for a softer hand with compliance issues (not saying I necessarily disagree with him on the Samuels situation, which I don't understand sufficiently to take a view on one way or another), moving to the SEC would seem to be the right approach.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Frank Martin to South Carolina

No shortage of peronality as far as the South Carolina football and basketball head coaches are concerned.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7739256/kansas-state-wildcats-frank-martin-hired-south-carolina-gamecocks-reports-say
    Last edited by subzero02; 03-27-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: added link

UAB has hired Carolina assistant Jerod Haase to replace Mike Davis.

Groce to Illini? And Who to Ohio?

According to ESPN Chicago, Ohio University coach John Groce is in negotiations to take the Illinois Job.

A mid-major coming off a Sweet Sixteen appearance, and with lots of talent coming back: hard to imagine a better first head coaching job. Woj, it's time to leave the nest.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This is a great hire. Setting his name aside and what that can bring to the recruiting table, Danny Manning, I believe, is the guy primarily responsible for the development of KUs big men, which was especially important this year after losing the Morris twins. Robinson, bench player last year, is an all-american, and Withey, no run at all last year, has been a force inside as well.

Tulsa has been the ultimate "gateway" school for college coaches (including Bill Self), and most of those guys have had success if they find success at Tulsa. (was actually surprised they had such a quick trigger with Wocjik, but I don't know the full story there).

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    According to ESPN Chicago, Ohio University coach John Groce is in negotiations to take the Illinois Job.

A mid-major coming off a Sweet Sixteen appearance, and with lots of talent coming back: hard to imagine a better first head coaching job. Woj, it's time to leave the nest.

I agree. Ohio has its entire team coming back. Seems like a perfect spot for Wojo. Solid team to start with, but a mid-major. Not major conference pressure. Great "starter" head job.

But the names I've seen floated for the Bobcats job are Jeff Boals, a former Ohio player now an assistant to Thad Matta at OSU, and current Bobcat assistant Dustin Ford, also a former player at the school.

I'd guess Boals is their guy and they're just waiting for Ohio St's run to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Location-wise its a step up, but competition-wise its not. Especially with Mizzou leaving, Kansas now has K-State as its main rival (this from the perspective of an ACC type, more informed opinions from B12 country welcome)
    South Carolina actually has pretty good resources in place for basketball but hasn't had a real winner since 1997 and 1998. Back in those days the basketball arena used to sell out frequently. The current venue, the Colonial Life Arena, is the 4th largest in the SEC. And Frank Martin's salary jumped from ~1.2M to ~2M.

I don't really see why everyone says it's a step down. KSU was a worse program than SC before Huggins and Martin went there. SC is in a better situation for both financials and talent. I'd wager that the fan support will be very strong next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Why would they do that? Another failed retread.

Wojo getting a mention on the Bobcat boards.
    http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageb...umPID=1&page=7

Doug Wojcik to succeed Bobby Cremins at Charleston.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-charleston

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    Wojo getting a mention on the Bobcat boards.
    http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageb...umPID=1&page=7
    Certainly nice to see, but I wouldn't place too much stock into it. They are also mentioning Paul Westhead and "LMU: Part II" in that same thread. As long as they are just throwing names out there, why not Phil Jackson? He'd make a good coach.

Multiple Moves Announced Today

Clemson assistant Rick Ray is the new head coach at Mississippi State.

TCU head coach Jim Christian is moving to Ohio University.

Keno Davis is the new head coach at Central Michigan.

Jim Baron has, as predicted in post one on this topic, landed on his feet. He gets to try and rebuild at Canisius. Hey, if it can be done at St. Bonaventure, it can be done pretty much anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    TCU head coach Jim Christian is moving to Ohio University.
    This is a puzzling move, although I know Ohio returns its whole team. TCU is heading to the Big XII next year, and actually had a not horrible year this year in a fairly strong Mountain West. They beat 4 tourney teams (UVa, New Mexico, Colo St. and UNLV).

The Big XII may be seriously down next year after a strong regular season. KU loses a lot, Mizzou and A&M, who have been strong, are gone, Iowa St. loses its best player, KSU lost its coach and best recruit, and OU, OSU and Texas Tech are all struggling (although OSU will be talented, but young, next year).

Assuming Cameron Ridley shows up, Texas will be top 25 next year, and Baylor has another "How'd they do that?" class coming in. West Virginia will likely be in the mix too. So it's not like TCU was going to be great next year, but it was as good of time for a historically bad program to upgrade conferences. This seems like somewhat of a downgrade in the long term for Jim Christian, especially since the MAC has been a 1 bid league in recent years.

Larry Brown to SMU.

Interesting place for him to land. In other news, SMU will be looking for another coach in 3-4 years.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Wow! What next - the Herricks?

Larry Brown to SMU.

Interesting place for him to land. In other news, SMU will be looking for another coach in 3-4 years.
    Are they trying to get the death penalty in basketball too now?