Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Shaka is the top target for Illinois.

Looks like Bruce Weber is interviewing for his old job too.

Regarding Shaka, he either wants to stay at VCU forever (unlikely) or he will be very, very interested in this job. Illinois, Texas, SoCal and Maryland are traditionally known as great potential programs that have never reached the heights they should have. If Shaka turns this down, my guess is he's holding out for an even better program in the next two years. But what better jobs are there out there? There's always rumours of Donovan leaving Florida and there's been talk of Calipari to the Knicks. I do not think Shaka would get tons of consideration at Duke or Unc in the next few years. UCLA is a possibility if they have another really bad year. Kansas is wrapped up. Matta and Izzo are not leaving. So Illinois makes a whole lot of sense for Shaka unless he knows something is up with Calipari or Donovan, in my opinion.
    I hope you would be wrong about his not being at least considered for the Duke job once Coach K steps down. I love Shaka's fire and his ability to recruit players that play hard for him. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I hope you would be wrong about his not being at least considered for the Duke job once Coach K steps down. I love Shaka's fire and his ability to recruit players that play hard for him. GoDuke!
    Well, Coach K has said a few times that Dawkins deserves a shot and is his preference. So I am assuming that has not changed. Dawkins seems to have improved a little the past few years. Next year is year 5 for him at Stanford. I'd say we'll have a good idea of his prowess by the end of year 6. The next two years should be telling since he'll have an all-Dawkins recruited roster to work with.

Hurley News!

Wagner coach Dan Hurley has accepted the job at Rhode Island. Now the question is whether brother Bobby, on his staff at Wagner, will move with him to Rhode Island, or whether he'll get the top job himself at Wagner. I won't be surprised if it's the latter. Hope so -- let the tree groweth!

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Wagner coach Dan Hurley has accepted the job at Rhode Island. Now the question is whether brother Bobby, on his staff at Wagner, will move with him to Rhode Island, or whether he'll get the top job himself at Wagner. I won't be surprised if it's the latter. Hope so -- let the tree groweth!
    Jeff Goodman, who is usually pretty knowledgeable in these matters, thinks that Bobby is going with Danny to URI

http://twitter.com/#!/GoodmanCBS/sta...45731593904128
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Hurley

I thought I had read that Danny Hurley took the Wagner job over other jobs because he didn't want to uproot his family from their home in NJ. Rhode Island is a pretty long commute - I guess life changes. Rhode Island is definitely a step up from Wagner, but I'm not sure if it is that much incrementally better that it is worth leaving Wagner after only 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I thought I had read that Danny Hurley took the Wagner job over other jobs because he didn't want to uproot his family from their home in NJ. Rhode Island is a pretty long commute - I guess life changes. Rhode Island is definitely a step up from Wagner, but I'm not sure if it is that much incrementally better that it is worth leaving Wagner after only 2 years.
    It's a substantial step up - Rhode Island is A-10 which is on the mid-major/high-major border (3 At large A-10 teams this year, whereas the NEC won't even get an at large into the NIT).

That said, I wish he stayed and I hope Bobby stays to coach Wagner. I understand that the mid-major life is one where the low-majors are clear stepping stone, but they didn't even get a tournament bid, and they had some nice recruits coming in next year (including a 3 star who'd committed to MSU).
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Jon Rothstein at CBS tweeters about Shaka staying put

Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein

Sources confirm that unless something drastic changes in the next 24 hours, Shaka Smart will stay at VCU....

Jon Rothstein ‏ @JonRothstein

Sources confirm that unless something drastic changes in the next 24 hours, Shaka Smart will stay at VCU....
    Is that Smart of Shaka?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is that Smart of Shaka?
    I think it is. All great problems have to start somewhere, and honestly VCU's been building a good one since Jeff Capel Sr's days. Smart has his stamp on the program and if he sends the signal that he's there for a while longer, he's going to get some big name recruits saying yes.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Is that Smart of Shaka?
    Hard to tell, but Shaka Khan coach.

Thanks - I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

Well, Coach K has said a few times that Dawkins deserves a shot and is his preference. So I am assuming that has not changed. Dawkins seems to have improved a little the past few years. Next year is year 5 for him at Stanford. I'd say we'll have a good idea of his prowess by the end of year 6. The next two years should be telling since he'll have an all-Dawkins recruited roster to work with.
    When did K ever say that Dawkins was his preference?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    When did K ever say that Dawkins was his preference?
    Two or three times within the past 5-6 years. There are some old threads discussing this with some links. It's a common off-season topic.

Two or three times within the past 5-6 years. There are some old threads discussing this with some links. It's a common off-season topic.
    I don't know about that. I think the reason this is a common off-season topic is precisely because K has NOT made his preference clear. If he had, then there's a lot less to discuss, as most assume that if K wants to handpick his successor, he has earned the right to do so, and indeed will do so. I'd look forward to seeing what those links you know of are precisely, or if anyone else recalls anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    URI to talk to Danny Hurley. Wonder what it could mean for Bobby...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/stor...ach-dan-hurley
    If Coach Chris Collins takes a Head Coach position somewhere, I was hoping that Bobby Hurley would be in contention for an assistant coaching job at Duke. Bobby is one of the best Point Guards to ever wear a Duke uniform. The Hurleys have a pedigree for coaching basketball and have a great attitude also.

It's a common biweekly topic.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Illinois

Looks like the Illini are looking at Johnny Dawkins now. DBR links a tweet on the front page, which is not exactly a full on article. The others are Anthony Grant at 'Bama and Shaka at VCU. I wonder if this means the Collins possibility is a long shot. I'm assuming this will play out within the next week or so.

If I were Dawkins, I would try to finish what I started at Stanford. He's on the cusp of restoring the program to what it was in the 1990s, if he can continue to get quality recruits.

Illinois, FWIW

Illinois is still chasing Shaka Smart, and allegedly has increased its offer to close to $3M annually with incentives.

We'll see if that's enough to land Shaka. It would seem as though it would be.

Looks like the Illini are looking at Johnny Dawkins now. DBR links a tweet on the front page, which is not exactly a full on article. The others are Anthony Grant at 'Bama and Shaka at VCU. I wonder if this means the Collins possibility is a long shot. I'm assuming this will play out within the next week or so.

If I were Dawkins, I would try to finish what I started at Stanford. He's on the cusp of restoring the program to what it was in the 1990s, if he can continue to get quality recruits.
    Linking a couple of columns from this morning's Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7149067.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,15625.column

Lists the backup choices to Smart as Grant, Lorenzo Romar of U-Dub and Leonard Hamilton, who apparently has benn "lobbying hard for the job". No mention of Johnny D. Also clarifies that Robert Smith, Jabari Parker's HS coach, is not being considered for the head coaching job, but rather as an assistant who can be a high impact recruiter in metro Chicago, which is critical to the program's success.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Linking a couple of columns from this morning's Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7149067.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,15625.column

Lists the backup choices to Smart as Grant, Lorenzo Romar of U-Dub and Leonard Hamilton, who apparently has benn "lobbying hard for the job". No mention of Johnny D. Also clarifies that Robert Smith, Jabari Parker's HS coach, is not being considered for the head coaching job, but rather as an assistant who can be a high impact recruiter in metro Chicago, which is critical to the program's success.
    Wow. Did not see this coming:

"Florida State's Leonard Hamilton is lobbying hard for the job, sources added."

He's really built something at FSU. I guess he struggles enough on the recruiting trail and with the Duke/Unc dominance that he'd consider moving on. That's a shame, really.

Wow. Did not see this coming:

"Florida State's Leonard Hamilton is lobbying hard for the job, sources added."

He's really built something at FSU. I guess he struggles enough on the recruiting trail and with the Duke/Unc dominance that he'd consider moving on. That's a shame, really.
    Didn't see it coming either. Perhaps he has a sense that he won't be able to accomplish much more at FSU and/or that his stock will never be higher than it is now.