Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Well, Cal ain't going anywhere, unfortunately, but I couldn't find another appropriate place to link the Onion's "Strong Side / Weak Side" for Cal. Pretty funny, I think. LINK
    Genius:

Makes a mockery of higher education by helping students find multimillion-dollar careers in their chosen profession.

Collins is going to have some competition out there. Maybe the two can go head-to-head for a job!

collinsdoherty_display_image.jpg

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...hern-methodist

Doherty spent three forgettable seasons as the head coach of his alma mater, North Carolina, from 2000 to 2003.
    I'm fairly sure I remember each.

Matt Doherty fired

A long way down for the former national coach of the year.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/...ty-six-seasons

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    Collins is going to have some competition out there. Maybe the two can go head-to-head for a job!

collinsdoherty_display_image.jpg

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...hern-methodist

I'm fairly sure I remember each.
    How could you forget 8-20?

I suppose Doherty might want to take an assistant job somewhere and lay a little lower. I doubt he'd be all that great on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    A long way down for the former national coach of the year.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/...ty-six-seasons
    I never really liked Doherty, but I have hard time feeling schadenfreude over him getting fired.

Unrelated, but I also have a hard time pronouncing schadenfreude after stumbingling onto this: Pronunciation of "schadenfreude"

Agree with the general points made by fellow Illinoisans below - there's a giant market not far from Champaign, but it's hard to capture and harder to keep. Just a couple points to add:

1. Being the capitol of the Midwest means that there are also a lot of of us who live here in Chicago who didn't actually go to a rival Big Ten School, but still grew up rooting for one. That applies for probably 2/3 of the Domer grads in Chicagoland, for instance. One of my most thrilling sporting events prior to age 17 was watching my local Big Ten team upset the then-No. 1 Flying Illini in 1989. Those secondary and tertiary loyalties don't change easily.

2. Even though its position is similar to Vandy's in the SEC, Northwestern is 20 minutes from the Loop, and by virtue of that geography gets covered much more in relation to the state's flagship land grant university than would be historically justified by sporting success, or by alumni base size. Their football team's recent success and the tantalizingly close but not quite seasons of the basketball team have only added to that. So, if the Illini aren't significantly better than the 'Cats, NW's getting almost equal print in the local papers even if they're only drawing 15,000 to home football games. They advertise around here as "Chicago's Big Ten Team." That hurts the perception of Illinois even more.

Consequently, for a demographic like mine, Illinois is literally the fourth choice. The two biggest sports fan acquaintances I have around here are a good friend who grew up in Iowa, went to Marquette and then Kellogg, and is a huge Cubs fan; and a brother-in-law who grew up following Ohio State and Cinci and then went to Notre Dame. These guys couldn't care less about the Illini programs. We live in the North suburbs and I lived in the City for a decade, and have been to multiple NW football and basketball games, mostly to see my home state team and Duke when they come to town. My 5 year-old son's been to both a Northwestern football and basketball game and has a purple football t-shirt and a giant foam wildcat paw, but unless he attends UofI, I can't imagine him ever going to an Illinois game. That's a totally different landscape than Detroit, where the Big House is half an hour away and East Lansing not much further, or Minneapolis, where there's only one collegiate game in town, or even Milwaukee, which is about the same distance from Madison as Chicago is from Champaign.
    Last edited by Mal; 03-13-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: typo

More on Horn Firing at South carolina

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    The story deals with the firing of Darrin Horn at South Carolina. This USC often looks north of the border for its coaches (Odom, McGuire, Fogler(?)).

Here's a clip from the story. Please note the extreme timeliness of the Wikipedia update:

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) -- At a live press conference Tuesday, Eric Hyman announced that USC Basketball Coach Darrin Horn was out of a job.

Several media outlets in the Palmetto State reported Horn's demise before it was official. Before the press conference even happened, Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, had updated its Darrin Horn entry with his firing.
    sagegrouse

To: the media

I will pay you $100 to ask Roy if he gives a you-know-what about SMU.

Doherty was an assistant coach for my under-14 AAU team in Charlotte in the late 80's. Perhaps that gig is still open...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    2. Even though its position is similar to Vandy's in the SEC, Northwestern is 20 minutes from the Loop, and by virtue of that geography gets covered much more in relation to the state's flagship land grant university than would be historically justified by sporting success, or by alumni base size.
    By the red line, purple line, automobile, or helicopter? Last time I rode it it was like 55 minutes.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

URI to talk to Danny Hurley. Wonder what it could mean for Bobby...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/stor...ach-dan-hurley

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    2. Even though its position is similar to Vandy's in the SEC, Northwestern is 20 minutes from the Loop, and by virtue of that geography gets covered much more in relation to the state's flagship land grant university than would be historically justified by sporting success, or by alumni base size. Their football team's recent success and the tantalizingly close but not quite seasons of the basketball team have only added to that. So, if the Illini aren't significantly better than the 'Cats, NW's getting almost equal print in the local papers even if they're only drawing 15,000 to home football games. They advertise around here as "Chicago's Big Ten Team." That hurts the perception of Illinois even more.
    The might advertise that, but in my experience, Chicagoans by and large couldn't care less about Northwestern. Yes, perhaps they get a mention in the local newscast or paper since they are close by, but that doesn't lead to a lot of interest. I find it somewhat hysterical that of the 20+ bars in the 4-block radius from me, there are ZERO Northwestern bars, yet 3 Iowa ones, 2 Illinois, 2 Michigan, 2 Wisconsin, MSU, OSU, and Penn State that I can think of. There was one, but I guess nobody showed up so it's no longer.

With pro sports being a much bigger deal in Chicago, hardly anybody (except alumni) care about Northwestern or DePaul for that matter. Duke/UNC definitely benefit by being the biggest ticket in town as there are no pro sports - that definitely helps. I would go to DePaul games if they weren't so far away (not on campus) and unnecessarily expensive...Not saying Northwestern is a bad job, but it definitely seems like UIUC gets more enthusiasm from Chicago simply because there are more alumni in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    By the red line, purple line, automobile, or helicopter? Last time I rode it it was like 55 minutes.
    Metra is the fastest! Should have taken that. Probably 25 minutes from Northwestern to the loop, but only runs every hour or so...Purple line express probably take like 40 minutes. Car can range greatly. Helicopter would be a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes, perhaps they get a mention in the local newscast or paper since they are close by, but that doesn't lead to a lot of interest...Not saying Northwestern is a bad job, but it definitely seems like UIUC gets more enthusiasm from Chicago simply because there are more alumni in the area.
    Understood - I'm just saying that if Northwestern were in Dekalb or Rockford instead of Evanston, it'd be different (they probably wouldn't be in the Big Ten, for one thing, but I guess that's part of the point). NU wouldn't get any attention or interest, outside of its relative to a state school's small alumni base, in that situation. And I wouldn't be making a spontaneous Saturday morning decision to take my kids to a Big Ten football game. Obviously, NU would also be hurt if UofI were in Naperville instead of over half way to St. Louis. And you're probably right that this being a pro sports town likely hurts the Illini as much as anything. Even if they were in Naperville, they'd still be second fiddle by a long shot to the Bears.

Throaty - I overstated a touch. Metra from Ogilvie to Evanston Central (just a few blocks from the stadium) is 26 minutes of comfortable paper reading and bagel eating on a mostly empty train on a Saturday morning. Alternatively, driving from the Loop to campus via Lakeshore Drive and then Sheridan can be done in 24 minutes in good conditions. Usually, Saturday at 10:00-11:00 A.M. is wide open. You can generally park for free no more than six blocks from the stadium. It really is an unappreciated experience - I don't think people around here fully recognize how unique it is to have the ability to go see a major conference team (now consistently a bowl team, in fact) take on Michigan or Wisconsin in a shockingly inexpensive, incredibly low stress, no traffic environment, and be home less than an hour after the game ends. There are very few BCS schools in the first ring of suburbs of one of the country's largest cities.

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    The Gamecock faithful want Marshall but, after snubbing NCSU last year, he may have higher aspirations. Marshall was apparantly interested befoer when Odom was hired and has roots in the area. The front page article is correct about his "diplomacy issues". He's well know to be arrogant and surley to media and his academic colleagues. Nothing but love from the players though and his teams play very hard and very tough defense and respect him. In short he's a good coach but not an especially likeable guy.

Rick Stansbury is "retiring," or so half the state of Mississippi tells me on FaceBook.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Will the Knicks knock on Calipari's door?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

RE: the Collins interested in the Illinois job post on the front page. Collins would be a good fit for that position.

But could you imagine him bringing Scheyer along? The head coach and the assistant cannot both be hometown boys who spurned the school for Duke. Does not work with any fanbase.

Shaka is the top target for Illinois.

Looks like Bruce Weber is interviewing for his old job too.

Regarding Shaka, he either wants to stay at VCU forever (unlikely) or he will be very, very interested in this job. Illinois, Texas, SoCal and Maryland are traditionally known as great potential programs that have never reached the heights they should have. If Shaka turns this down, my guess is he's holding out for an even better program in the next two years. But what better jobs are there out there? There's always rumours of Donovan leaving Florida and there's been talk of Calipari to the Knicks. I do not think Shaka would get tons of consideration at Duke or Unc in the next few years. UCLA is a possibility if they have another really bad year. Kansas is wrapped up. Matta and Izzo are not leaving. So Illinois makes a whole lot of sense for Shaka unless he knows something is up with Calipari or Donovan, in my opinion.

Charleston

Bobby Cremins' retirement opens up another position that looks like a great first head coaching gig for Collins or Wojo.