Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    I also don't know if NW's position on admissions has changed since Tommy interviewed there. NW's rather strict stance on admissions turned Tommy off to that job, and I suspect would be an impediment to Chris if they haven't changed.
    But he was ok with Harvard's admissions? Very odd. Not in anyway saying that you are wrong, I just hadn't heard that before, so in hindsight that's a big "hmmm" moment.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    But he was ok with Harvard's admissions? Very odd. Not in anyway saying that you are wrong, I just hadn't heard that before, so in hindsight that's a big "hmmm" moment.
    Northwestern's admissions relative to the rest of its conference, I would guess, is much more strict than Harvard's admissions relative to the Ivy League. Don't know if that was his perspective, but I could see it from that angle.

First, there's a big difference in the jobs and the rules by which your competition is playing. Harvard's on a level playing field with the other Ivies. NW isn't with the rest of the Big Ten.

Also. Tommy was in a different place when he interviewed at NW (it would have been his first job) and when he went to Harvard (having been let go at Michigan.

I've heard the same story about Tommy's issues with the NW admissions office keeping him from taking that job from two different sources, one Duke, one NW. I feel like its really strong info

Quote Originally Posted by B-well View Post
    How can you tell when the Crazies give someone a standing ovation?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    Haha touche. What I meant to is that it was the only time I saw the Crazies "enthusiastically" clap for a player on the other team, much like we would for our own. And there's no doubt he deserved it
    Don't forget us upstairs, we can actually sit if need be, so it is possible for us to stand for an ovation, and trust me, there are plenty of Crazies above the rail, too.

Another example of the Crazies giving a round of applause to an opponent was Bryant Stith of UVA. K took the mike after his last game at CIS and encouraged the crowd to honor him with an ovation. A fine example of class, too, for that matter.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Actually, Harvard had long impossed even more restrictive admissions standards on BB players than the rest of the Ivy League. Supposedly one of the things that helped Tommy decide to go with Harvard was the Admissions office being willing to relent and, while still at the always tough Ivy level (e.g. no scholarships, etc) Harvard no longer faces tougher standards than the rest of the Ivies, supposedly. Ironically, then, the former Harvard coaches, still angry over being let go, were used as sources the following season in a NYT article (or maybe a series?) on how Harvard was lowering its admissions standards in order to improve their BB fortunes. It set a deceptive tone, making it appear that mighty Harvard had caved at the behest of a (corrupting) big-time new Head Coach and gone the way of the KY's, Syracuse's, and UNLV's of the world. It was eventually cleared up, but the bottom line is that Tommy is now operating on a level playing field with the rest of his league (and beating them handily). That would not have been the case at Northwestern, and may still be the situation there.

Calhoun

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    8-1 odds Calhoun is at URI next year.
    If Calhoun is dragged kicking and screaming, something i'd pay big bucks to watch, off to the retirement village, he will be replaced with an
    equally likeable fellow, Mr. Billy Donovan. Nothing like cloning the master.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Why Tommy's at Harvard

I can't help but think that a big selling point for Tommy at Harvard was the terrific job his wife got there. That also makes me think that it's going to be pretty hard to get Tommy out of Harvard.

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post
    If Calhoun is dragged kicking and screaming, something i'd pay big bucks to watch, off to the retirement village, he will be replaced with an
    equally likeable fellow, Mr. Billy Donovan. Nothing like cloning the master.
    Donovan has a pretty good gig with the Gators. Why would he leave there for UCONN?

Here's hoping no ACC head coach is temporally unemployed. Shouldn't Capel be the first assistant coach to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Here's hoping no ACC head coach is temporally unemployed. Shouldn't Capel be the first assistant coach to leave?
    Why? He just got here...

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Donovan has a pretty good gig with the Gators. Why would he leave there for UCONN?
    Billy the kid doesn't have a dirty rep with lots of other coaches because he's so cute , he learned at the feet of Mr "Who, me?" Did a little successful tinkering around and under the edges, so the smoke signals say. Jim's Lucifer, Billy's the Beast. Why UCONN, you ask - conntinuity!
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Calipari

Well, Cal ain't going anywhere, unfortunately, but I couldn't find another appropriate place to link the Onion's "Strong Side / Weak Side" for Cal. Pretty funny, I think. LINK

As others have mentioned above, I think Collins and/or Wojo would be a lot better off letting the initial coaching dominoes fall then backfill, i.e. let Shaka Smart take the Illinois job then go for the VCU job. They are better off starting a bit lower down as head coaches rather than going for the big time. They have gotten great assistant experiences, but better to learn how to run your own program without such a bright spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As others have mentioned above, I think Collins and/or Wojo would be a lot better off letting the initial coaching dominoes fall then backfill, i.e. let Shaka Smart take the Illinois job then go for the VCU job. They are better off starting a bit lower down as head coaches rather than going for the big time. They have gotten great assistant experiences, but better to learn how to run your own program without such a bright spotlight.
    This is interesting. VCU would be a good "starting" head coaching position. Or even Butler, if Brad Stevens leaves (but I doubt it). Let Shaka take the brunt of the "big time" problems... let our guys flourish, then move up.

I am obviously in the minority here, but I believe that Chris Collins should stay put at Duke if he wants to get the Duke job when Coach K retires. I believe going elsewhere would decrease not increase his odds at landing the position. Plus, previous Head Coaching experience is over-rated (i.e., if you are good, you are good). I have no doubt that Coach Collins will be ready to take over when Coach K calls it quits.

Also, I believe that Coach Amaker will jump at the chance to coach a BCS college program if given an offer. I know he likes Harvard but have heard some say he has got the itch to get back to coaching at a program with more upside.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    This is interesting. VCU would be a good "starting" head coaching position. Or even Butler, if Brad Stevens leaves (but I doubt it). Let Shaka take the brunt of the "big time" problems... let our guys flourish, then move up.
    It worked pretty well for Jeff Capel. And for Smart. I wonder if VCU might step up and match offers so they don't start to feel as being that gateway to bigger jobs.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if this isn't already a done deal. it's been interesting over the past few weeks to see Chris take on a leadership role in the huddle, calling plays and pretty much running several time outs. Maybe he and K have known this is in the cards and K has graciously allowed him to take on some game situations to provide him more experience.

I would be shocked if ILLINI don't offer Collins the job. Time to begin thinking about who we may replace him with. Is it Capel, as we have about 48 assistant coaches right now..
    Collins has also been doing all of the half time interviews on television. Just sayin...

It worked pretty well for Jeff Capel. And for Smart. I wonder if VCU might step up and match offers so they don't start to feel as being that gateway to bigger jobs.
    IIRC, Anthony Grant of Alabama was also the coach at VCU. It's been a pretty good gateway job, and now it's becoming a pretty high profile job in its own right.

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    Collins has also been doing all of the half time interviews on television. Just sayin...
    And has been for many years. Means zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    And has been for many years. Means zilch.
    I agree--but I actually thought that was the point stixof96 was making, too. Maybe I misunderstood the post, though.