Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 96 of 96
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The "redshirt freshman" is already the model at most BCS football programs. And Cut has Duke doing it now (or "finally" as some see it).

    Could the redshirt freshman have a place in basketball? I imagine top programs could use some 5 year leaders to help direct and anchor the one-and-dones. Is this K on the cutting edge again?

    -jk
    This is kind of what I was getting at but worded way better than the way I explained. Good point JK.

  2. #82

    no harm no foul

    Could Alex have helped to make Duke better? I think he could have. However maybe he wasn't ready. Was it his decision? It could have been mostly his, but I do not blame Coach K if he also thought it was a good idea. It is 100% impossible and nothing but pure conjecture to try to after the fact debate if Alex had played how much he could have contributed. You can't miss what you've never had. That is kind of how I feel about it. With a year under his belt of not only getting used to life at school he also got a year of practice along with strength training with the team. I think he will be much better this next season starting out than he might have been last. So it could have helped last year. It did not hurt us either. It will be a benefit next season and moving forward.


    GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #83
    So no one has any inside scoop on how Murphy progressed this year?

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    So no one has any inside scoop on how Murphy progressed this year?
    I think Austin had some very positive things to say in his last interview.
    "Enjoy every sandwich" -- Warren Zevon

  5. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The "redshirt freshman" is already the model at most BCS football programs. And Cut has Duke doing it now (or "finally" as some see it).

    Could the redshirt freshman have a place in basketball? I imagine top programs could use some 5 year leaders to help direct and anchor the one-and-dones. Is this K on the cutting edge again?

    -jk
    Cutting edge thinking here. I remember the pre-early-leavers K not being one to use all available scholarships on high DI recruits, I suspected he just didn't want the trouble (e.g., transfers, dissension) of sitting guys deep on the bench who would start elsewhere. Once the uncertainty of early leavers appears, he is 'forced' to use the full quota to be competitive for the top.

    This trick would fit perfectly for him (obviously, given willing player(s)). Since the actual red-shirt decision/application occurs well into the academic year it would allow full bore recruiting a kid who might red-shirt IF so-and-so goes pro but not otherwise too. It would also serve to disinhibit recruiting "over" someone with a superstar one-and-done. The less talented, say junior, could be offered a red-shirt year off (if purely voluntary red-shirt years are granted after freshman year).

  6. #86
    I think for a kid who came to college a year early it is easily a good decision no matter what. Probably would have benefited Andre, but we didn't have that luxury. Could he have made a difference? Played a few minutes a game? What, we might have one or two more games? I say he makes a much bigger difference the next 4 years simply because there was little improvement left to make in this season. I mean it wasn't as if we were going to cut down the nets or anything

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The "redshirt freshman" is already the model at most BCS football programs. And Cut has Duke doing it now (or "finally" as some see it).

    Could the redshirt freshman have a place in basketball? I imagine top programs could use some 5 year leaders to help direct and anchor the one-and-dones. Is this K on the cutting edge again?

    -jk
    Kansas seems to have been doing this successfully for a while now.

    On this year's team, I believe Travis Releford, Jeff Withey, and Thomas Robinson all were previously redshirted.
    Those who follow the Jayhawks more closely may be able to add to this list.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Kansas seems to have been doing this successfully for a while now.

    On this year's team, I believe Travis Releford, Jeff Withey, and Thomas Robinson all were previously redshirted.
    Those who follow the Jayhawks more closely may be able to add to this list.
    Neither Withey nor Robinson redshirted. Withey transferred from Arizona and thus had to sit out a year. Robinson never sat out a year. He just played very limited minutes his first two years.

    Releford did redshirt though, as did Teahen, Wesley, and Young from this year's team. Mario Little is a player from previous seasons who redshirted.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Neither Withey nor Robinson redshirted. Withey transferred from Arizona and thus had to sit out a year. Robinson never sat out a year. He just played very limited minutes his first two years.

    Releford did redshirt though, as did Teahen, Wesley, and Young from this year's team. Mario Little is a player from previous seasons who redshirted.
    Thanks for the correction.

    Other than Kansas, I can't think of other top teams that have used redshirting to a significant degree.
    Or could we count UConn for their strategic use of suspensions in stretching out a player's career?

  10. #90
    I'm sure it also makes practice more interesting (we talkin' about practice?!). I seem to recall K saying in 2001 that Dahntay Jones was a huge boon for the team because he could terrorize the starters in practice since he didn't have to save anything for the actual games.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

    Other than Kansas, I can't think of other top teams that have used redshirting to a significant degree.
    Or could we count UConn for their strategic use of suspensions in stretching out a player's career?
    Yeah, it's fairly unusual, and Kansas is a clear outlier in this regard. It's uncommon to see guys who redshirt wind up as starters. The interesting thing is how often they redshirt guys after their freshman year. None of the guys above redshirted as freshmen. All were likely to see minimal roles in the years that they redshirted.

  12. #92

    bazzless

    so now that we missed out on Bazz and have an apparent hole at the 3 for next years team... how does murphy stack up to bazz and anderson, poythress and other top freshman SFs, after redshirting and practicing with a college team for a season. Working with a full time str/cond coach certainly helps, looks like he's gained 35 pounds (from 180 to 215?!) since arriving... basically the 3 guys above are going to be starting for their teams (though anderson probably at the 1 or 2) -- can we expect the same for murphy?

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by everlong06 View Post
    so now that we missed out on Bazz and have an apparent hole at the 3 for next years team... how does murphy stack up to bazz and anderson, poythress and other top freshman SFs, after redshirting and practicing with a college team for a season. Working with a full time str/cond coach certainly helps, looks like he's gained 35 pounds (from 180 to 215?!) since arriving... basically the 3 guys above are going to be starting for their teams (though anderson probably at the 1 or 2) -- can we expect the same for murphy?
    I think we'll be fine at the 3 next year, with Murphy and {g}.

  14. #94

    Gonzaga

    Gonzaga has been redshirting their big guys for over a decade. Actually I don't know if they still do it, but that used to be their standard practice for the bigs. Their players were not headed to the NBA and they have an extra year to get bigger and stronger. Let your 23 year old bang with an 18 year old freshman and it will even the playing field. Bigs tend to be slower to make the transition to the college games than guards so I always thought it made sense.

    Most if not all of our players have professional aspirations (ie. europe) so maybe it makes less sense for our players.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by everlong06 View Post
    so now that we missed out on Bazz and have an apparent hole at the 3 for next years team... how does murphy stack up to bazz and anderson, poythress and other top freshman SFs, after redshirting and practicing with a college team for a season. Working with a full time str/cond coach certainly helps, looks like he's gained 35 pounds (from 180 to 215?!) since arriving... basically the 3 guys above are going to be starting for their teams (though anderson probably at the 1 or 2) -- can we expect the same for murphy?
    Where did you get the weight numbers?

    edit: nevermind. Goduke.com has him at 220? holy cow.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Where did you get the weight numbers?

    edit: nevermind. Goduke.com has him at 220? holy cow.
    The weight looks good on him:

    robocop_movie_image.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Alex Murphy
    By RockyMtDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 01-12-2012, 10:19 PM
  2. New Alex Murphy Interview
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 11:13 AM
  3. Alex Murphy to Duke!
    By DevilHorns in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 09:50 AM
  4. Alex Murphy Recruiting Thread
    By gam7 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM
  5. Alex Murphy
    By Duke4life22 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •