Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Shabazz Muhammad to UCLA

I think it is time for a thread on Shabazz. Ranked over all #3 and number SF in 2012 by ESPN. #7 over all on scouts and the #3 SF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yHWvBvvcFI&translated=1

Some video not real good, but its all I could find!

I think it's a hard thing to really evaluate these kids before they get well into their junior and even senior years. Sophomore year seems to be when a lot of these guys really hit a growth spurt and begin to mature rapidly. Some benefit, some don't.

Muhammad, Tokoto, Jefferson, and Anderson are all right about the same size right now, sitting at the 6-5, 185 range, more or less. Any one of them could end up at 6-10 while the others stay put.

I'd be interested to see these guy's games broken down though because they are all listed as SFs. It looks like K is trying a different approach here after losing Prince Harry and recruiting everybody, rather than zoning in on 1 or 2 in particular. Here's to someone who hopes it works...

The general sense I get from following recruiting analysts is that Shabazz is the number one SG/SF in the class and a top 3 player by almost all of their estimations. Many feel he is the best player in the class.

It might be a long road with him. I am glad we were in early, but I just can't get too excited about him because I feel we have a low chance of landing him.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanAssassin View Post
    Interesting that he does not list UNC as one of the places at which he and Purvis have discussed playing together. May be an accidental omission. They would be a ridiculous backcourt tandem.

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Interesting that he does not list UNC as one of the places at which he and Purvis have discussed playing together. May be an accidental omission. They would be a ridiculous backcourt tandem.
    Is UNC recruiting Purvis? I suppose everyone is to some extent, but if they're not all that serious about it maybe that would explain why Shabazz didn't list UNC as a place where they might play together? I have no idea, but it was just a thought.

I can't tell you if ROY is recruiting him hard, but I can tell you IC is hot after him.

Which really doesn't tell you anything, I suppose...

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Is UNC recruiting Purvis? I suppose everyone is to some extent, but if they're not all that serious about it maybe that would explain why Shabazz didn't list UNC as a place where they might play together? I have no idea, but it was just a thought.
    I know LJ Rose is a top priority for them in that class and has been for some time so they may not have been on Purvis as hard as most.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The list on Rivals say they have offered him, along with every other pertinent program in the country.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...ollege_choices
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Heres a video of both Shabazz and Purvis doing work, talented kids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VvCvYKE ...BTW according to Purvis UNC has started to recruit him heavily, dont know much about Shabazz' recruitment at the moment, dude is super long....Purvis actually just tweeted about 10 mins ago that he now has Baylor on his list thanks to Q Miller.

As far as I know from reading interviews and "scuttlebutt" from recruiting sites both players are being recruited by UNC, with Shabazz being considered a pretty viable target for the Heels to land.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The list on Rivals say they have offered him, along with every other pertinent program in the country.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...ollege_choices
    You linked to Shabazz's page. UNC has definitely offered Shabazz. Kedsy was talking about Purvis though. Shabazz definitely has UNC on his personal list, but didn't mention UNC as one of the schools Purvis and him could play together (as of right now). But, from the above posts, sounds like UNC has started to get in the Purvis game...just probably haven't officially offered yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...-Purvis-105796
    http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...2689%26fhn%3d1

Those show no offers from UNC for Purvis yet.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 11-11-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    As far as I know from reading interviews and "scuttlebutt" from recruiting sites both players are being recruited by UNC, with Shabazz being considered a pretty viable target for the Heels to land.
    Someone around here I trust, I forget who - I think airowe? - mentioned a few days ago that UNC had recently stepped up its recruitment of Purvis.

It was pretty exciting that (not-too?)Shabby mentioned Duke and not UNC as one of the potential "package deal" schools, especially given the above and that Shabazz has been considered a UNC lean. I think I'm going to force myself to remain disconnected from this recruitment though, for the sake of my health. We've seen too many times how uselessly stressful it can be to hang on a kid's every word!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You linked to Shabazz's page. UNC has definitely offered Shabazz. Kedsy was talking about Purvis though. Shabazz definitely has UNC on his personal list, but didn't mention UNC as one of the schools Purvis and him could play together (as of right now). But, from the above posts, sounds like UNC has started to get in the Purvis game...just probably haven't officially offered yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...-Purvis-105796
    http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...2689%26fhn%3d1

Purvis's reclassification to the Class of 2012 messed up the timing on his offers a bit, but a scholarship offer from Carolina will be forthcoming. (Even if they hadn't planned on offering Purvis, they will now after reading that journal entry from Shabazz.)

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Purvis's reclassification to the Class of 2012 messed up the timing on his offers a bit, but a scholarship offer from Carolina will be forthcoming. (Even if they hadn't planned on offering Purvis, they will now after reading that journal entry from Shabazz.)
    Oh, I don't doubt that.

http://twitter.com/JayJayESPNDime

Shabazz Muhammad told me the systems he and Purvis fit into best... I'll let him tell you about it in his diary. Should be out tomorrow. half a minute ago via Twitter for Android
    Is that different than what he just did?

Shabazz:
    We talk about schools like Memphis, Duke, Kentucky, Texas and UNLV. So we’re definitely looking at that option very seriously.
    Maybe Jason Jordan got his days confused or didn't already see that his diary entry came out today...Unless there's additional info.

I said this on another page but i don't think these good if these kids really want to play together. If the year was 2013 maybe but there are too many names on the table IMO for them both to come to Duke...

Curry, Dawkins, Thornton, Cook, Gbinije. There's a chance Roy "passed" on Cook for this reason.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    You linked to Shabazz's page. UNC has definitely offered Shabazz. Kedsy was talking about Purvis though.
    I get illiterate around 5 o'clock. Thanks for the correct links. Does it mean anything when they list coaches recruiting for some players (like Wojo for Shabazz) and then leave us empty on others (like Purvis)? I see State is double teaming Purvis.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I get illiterate around 5 o'clock. Thanks for the correct links. Does it mean anything when they list coaches recruiting for some players (like Wojo for Shabazz) and then leave us empty on others (like Purvis)? I see State is double teaming Purvis.
    No problem. When it's empty, I think it simply means that the recruiting service (scout, rivals, etc.) just isn't sure which coach is the main point of contact...or one hasn't been firmly established yet. But others might know more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post
    I said this on another page but i don't think these good if these kids really want to play together. If the year was 2013 maybe but there are too many names on the table IMO for them both to come to Duke...

Curry, Dawkins, Thornton, Cook, Gbinije. There's a chance Roy "passed" on Cook for this reason.

??? I think Cook passed on Roy would be more accurate. I think you may be giving ol Roy a little too much credit here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1515 View Post

There are a lot of variables at play that may change the way these guys would view the projected depth chart at Duke. First, I don't know whether Purvis or Shabazz consider themselves to be one-and-done. Second, even if they consider themselves to be one-and-done now, it's not clear what the next NBA collective bargaining agreement will do to the one-and-done system. This obviously is a huge X factor that hopefully will be decided before these guys have to decide. If they can't go to the NBA for two years after high school, for example, then they may view the depth chart differently. Third, it's not entirely clear what positions these guys will play in college. Purvis is listed as a shooting guard, but seems to be more of a combo guard - I'm not sure what he sees himself as long-term. Shabazz seems to be a 2/3 - not sure what he wants to be long-term. Fourth, another issue is that our number 1 priority for that class (as confirmed by airowe a while ago if I recall correctly) is Murphy. If Shabazz really sees himself as a 3, I'd think Murphy would be a bigger concern for him than Gbinije.

I think the early entry rules will be a major factor here. If they are in college for more than a year, they'll both be less concerned about Curry and Dawkins who will be seniors in 2012-13. Shabazz won't be concerned about Thornton and Cook (pure PGs) regardless. Also, Purvis would be the only real combo guard after Curry is gone.

Bottom line - there are a lot of variables here.