Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    They need to change today's sports center top ten to Duke lets unc bench dominate sports center top ten.

couldn't read through all 11 pages before work, only got through the first 4...but anyone know what was being cheered that made coach K step out and tell everyone to stop?

DD
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

K admonished Crazies -

They were chanting Go to Hell Carolina, Eat $hi+!. Coach quickly came out and put a stop to it.

I also would like to point out the woman sitting in front of us that was reading a book on her smartphone through the ENTIRE game. Are you kidding me?

Tried to read this whole thread this morning. Please excuse any repetition.

1) Really have to admire Zeller. Great skills, smart player, plays hard, and not a punk.
    2) Wish I could describe the UNC fans behind the bench w that last descriptor. Some started taunting a little old lady Devil fan sitting to Mickie's right, and it was a horrible display of the worst kind of sports fan.
    3) When we cut deep into the lead w 4 or 5 minutes left and had 7 team fouls, I am shocked we didn't try to foul Henson. Yeah, would have been a gamble but a smart one.
    4) Bullock is a hard matchup for us.
    5) Karl Hess is still horrble, but at least he didn't cost us the game.
    6) If UNC stays focused and out of foul trouble, they may win the whole enchilada.

Let me first congratulate Wheat. His team came out focused and they took it to us early and often. Every dog has it’s day and yesterday was the heel’s day. I really don’t understand all the flack some of you are throwing Wheat’s way. Let him enjoy his moment and talk all the junk he wants, his teamed earned him that right. I will say that we were a missed Seth Curry 3 pt shot away from another spectacular comeback, as the pucker factor would have been off the chart for the heels had that shot dropped. Of course if pigs had wings....

At the half I said we needed to do four things to give us a chance, box out, hit free throws, make open shots, and bigs play like bigs. We got two out of the four and still were within one shot of making a game out of it. Love the heart we showed as it would have been very easy to lay down and die.

Don’t love our chances going forward, especially with the short bench and what appears to be the very real possibility of having to play FSU and UNC back to back. To pull this coming weekend off we need Dre, Josh, and Silent G to give us some solid minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by HS Dukie View Post
    They were chanting Go to Hell Carolina, Eat $hi+!. Coach quickly came out and put a stop to it.

I also would like to point out the woman sitting in front of us that was reading a book on her smartphone through the ENTIRE game. Are you kidding me?
    wait wait wait....since when are students not allowed to GTHC????? or was it just the second part that was being chided?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    wait wait wait....since when are students not allowed to GTHC????? or was it just the second part that was being chided?
    I'm guessing the second part. The first part has been a staple of the Crazies for forever (including games in which UNC was not involved).

Though I'd also note that the second part was also pretty commonly heard when I was at Duke. "Carolina go to Hell, eat sh--" was a common refrain during the fight song (instead of "beat State").

if our guards had rebounded last night, we may very well have had a chance to win that game. Only one of guards (TT) had more than one rebound (2). That demonstrates a total lack of focus and effort. K is right to point out that when our guards aren't hitting their shots they just check out of the game in other areas. It really is frustrating, cuz you can see them putting in effort, although it's almost entirely trying to find a shot. Ryan Kelly shouldn't be allowed to skate on this either, as he only pulled in one rebound. His lack of post defence also leads to a lot of Oboards for opponents, since it is nearly impossible to crash the glass after having flopped to the floor. He's pretty good as a weak-side or off-ball defender in the post, but not when an opposing PF/C has the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm guessing the second part. The first part has been a staple of the Crazies for forever (including games in which UNC was not involved).
    Hm. The second part was certainly part of the cheer when i was there...but i saw a video where the crazies were outside and the second part was much more prominent...so perhaps as times have changed, its moved from GTHC,es to gtch, ES...and that was what was displeasing...shrug...
    1200. DDMF.

It's difficult when the team you most want to beat plays better than do you.
    They were good.
    We were not.
    Love to Miles, will miss you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaMinor View Post
    It's difficult when the team you most want to beat plays better than do you.
    They were good.
    We were not.
    Love to Miles, will miss you a lot.
    He's not done yet!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I don't know, though... it's one thing for a player with a 4-6", 30+ pound disadvantage to plant himself between his man and the basket when his man is a stationary post player. It's another thing when his man is a wing who is running off screens, cutting around, and making you face guard him when he runs the baseline. You've got to have perfect awareness and timing with a little luck.

They can do better than they did tonight, I just think our scheme really asks our 6'2-6'4 guys to play beyond themselves against certain types of teams.
    Really got to disagree with the above....proper fundamentals on boxing out can offset size and weight most of the time....move your feet...keep contact with your guarded man...you already should be between him and the basket...if all 5 box out with determination the ball drops to the ground in theory....attention to details on defense can make up for lack of athleticism, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Really got to disagree with the above....proper fundamentals on boxing out can offset size and weight most of the time....move your feet...keep contact with your guarded man...you already should be between him and the basket...if all 5 box out with determination the ball drops to the ground in theory....attention to details on defense can make up for lack of athleticism, imo
    In theory this sounds good, but these plays don't unfold in such a cut and dry fashion. Let's remember and acknowledge we have physical limitations with this squad. This often leads to players being out of ideal position. Couple that fact with the fact that you're up against players who have superior size and athleticism and you get what we saw last night. Were there blown assignments? Yes, there were, but for the most part it was superior talent, which was executing at a very high level, coupled with the failure of our shooting the 3, which is normally our great equalizer when faced with superior athleticism that made things look so bad.

Just some thoughts

Unc played closer to their talent level,they did what they had to do and what we didnt stop them from doing it.
    Too big a hole to dig out of this time.

Downside,we didn't defend CIS, well again, can't remember a game where the whole team was
    "steering" shots from the field and hesitant around the rim,really tight and nervous first part of the game.
    Just maybe too much hype to block out.
    Upside we're a good road team and all road games left.

All teams are beatable, matchups are key this time of year, as we all know.

Throaty is right, they were begining to hear footsteps, If Curry's 3 goes in, more tension sets in,
    single digits are possible with 5min left, it was doable. We miss, they respond!

Miles was huge, Mason came alive, critical in all games going forward.
    Our shooting was an abberation, not a trend.
    Team Defense and boards, 40 min worth...will solve many ills, it will come down to how much do they want it?

We had a tough loss with national attention, cliff ending? Or springboard ?
    I think springboard, imo.
    It's still only one game, albeit, one we wanted.

hurleyfor3 had the most timely EA post, for comic relief, great stuff,great timing.
    Just gotta laugh, regroup, move forward.

There is a saying that it's hard to beat a good team 3 times in a row,
    that scenario now out of the equation, let's hope for ACC rubber game Sunday.

Next play.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I just had to bite on this because the argument that certain programs develop certain positions better than others constantly has me shaking my head. It has so much more to do with the individual player than the coach or even the system...Roy (and his staff) is very good at what he does. There is no dispute there. I just don't see anything that makes him unique from so many other coaches.
    I don't disagree with your basic point that all teams try to develop players and individual effort matters greatly, but I would still say that Roy deserves more credit than he gets here for developing players and his team. While it was not the point of your specific comment, it's common here for Roy to be given credit primarily for, or only for, recruiting. Most of the success the team enjoys is a function of the talent and we do best when Roy's hand is forced (i.e. shifting Henson back to his natural spot due to injury, injuries forcing a shortened rotation, etc) . Roy is 7-2 against Duke in the second game, which speaks to the fact that his teams tend to get better as the season progresses. That is not simply talent shining through, but the results of well coached talent playing in a system that works exceptionally well.

Roy and his system also develop individual players well. Better than other teams? That's hard to say definitively- not sure how you could prove or disprove it. Yes, individual effort is probably the single most important variable explaining why Zeller or Henson or any big man has improved. But it's not like they are spending time alone in a gym. They are being coached throughout their careers. Also we run our offense through big men, so their success is very much a function of the system, coaching, and overall program (e.g. it helps to play your summer ball against Rasheed Wallace).

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just think that, while you may not like his public persona, Roy's coaching and player development deserves credit. LAst thing, the idea that Roy's success is primarily a function of individual player talent is the same faulty logic that keeps Coach K from winning coach of the year.

So True

Quote Originally Posted by mcdukie View Post
    Throw everything else out the window, this is the bottom line. Their talent is superior to ours. They have 4 or 5 definite pros and are bringing in more next year. Our second half play shows we can play with them but we had to work so hard to get good looks compared to the shots they were taking.
    This is about the only stat we need to look at right now, they simply have more talent than we do with Barnes, Henson, Zeller and Marshall. It's just too simple, they have pro(s) and we have one pro and several really quality college players. Sure, Mason will get drafted on potential, but 4 pros against 1 almost always equals a loss. Oh well, Next Play. We'll learn and hopefully rebound better if nothing else, you don't have to be a future NBA player to stick your butt into somebody and grab a bloody rebound for goodness sake.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    This is about the only stat we need to look at right now, they simply have more talent than we do with Barnes, Henson, Zeller and Marshall. It's just too simple, they have pro(s) and we have one pro and several really quality college players. Sure, Mason will get drafted on potential, but 4 pros against 1 almost always equals a loss. Oh well, Next Play. We'll learn and hopefully rebound better if nothing else, you don't have to be a future NBA player to stick your butt into somebody and grab a bloody rebound for goodness sake.
    To me, what is simple, is that when you play a team as good as UNC, with that many future pros, you need to bring your "A" game. We did not.

There are many examples that I could point to, that I'm sure you already know of, of teams with less future NBA players beating teams with more/better future NBA players.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    I don't disagree with your basic point that all teams try to develop players and individual effort matters greatly, but I would still say that Roy deserves more credit than he gets here for developing players and his team. While it was not the point of your specific comment, it's common here for Roy to be given credit primarily for, or only for, recruiting. Most of the success the team enjoys is a function of the talent and we do best when Roy's hand is forced (i.e. shifting Henson back to his natural spot due to injury, injuries forcing a shortened rotation, etc) . Roy is 7-2 against Duke in the second game, which speaks to the fact that his teams tend to get better as the season progresses. That is not simply talent shining through, but the results of well coached talent playing in a system that works exceptionally well.

Roy and his system also develop individual players well. Better than other teams? That's hard to say definitively- not sure how you could prove or disprove it. Yes, individual effort is probably the single most important variable explaining why Zeller or Henson or any big man has improved. But it's not like they are spending time alone in a gym. They are being coached throughout their careers. Also we run our offense through big men, so their success is very much a function of the system, coaching, and overall program (e.g. it helps to play your summer ball against Rasheed Wallace).

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just think that, while you may not like his public persona, Roy's coaching and player development deserves credit. LAst thing, the idea that Roy's success is primarily a function of individual player talent is the same faulty logic that keeps Coach K from winning coach of the year.
    I think this a very well constructed response and I really don't disagree with most of it. I think fans tend to give too much credit to coaches when things go well and too much blame when things don't. And at times they don't get enough credit after expectations were unrealistic. Obviously Roy is doing a lot of things right on the floor to sustain this kind of success. But realistically this should be tempered by the fact that he has a larger margin of error than most anyone else. And yes he develops his players well. But that's also like saying my kid is good at finishing her well-cooked dinner.

Every coach faces adversity at some point, and on the rare occasions Roy has faced it, it hasn't gone well. That aspect doesn't make him different than most other coaches either. And what he does for player development isn't any better than many others.

Having said this, I fully expect the heels to cut down the nets in April.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    In theory this sounds good, but these plays don't unfold in such a cut and dry fashion. Let's remember and acknowledge we have physical limitations with this squad. This often leads to players being out of ideal position. Couple that fact with the fact that you're up against players who have superior size and athleticism and you get what we saw last night. Were there blown assignments? Yes, there were, but for the most part it was superior talent, which was executing at a very high level, coupled with the failure of our shooting the 3, which is normally our great equalizer when faced with superior athleticism that made things look so bad.

Sorry, just don't buy it...our physical limitations don't cause the poor fundamentals regarding boxing out or lack thereof on defense...we simply don't practice good fundamentals on defense...IMO. If we did they would not have gotten so many 2nd and 3rd attempts...

On offense we were tight with our shots in the first half...everything coming up short...we should have known they were going to stop the screen sets at the top of key and run different plays...too much dribble, dribble, dribble plays and not enough passing to the interior and back out again and back in again, IMO

We gotta miss it up more on offense with different kinda plays

Miles' rant about the team lacking effort for a full game - I find that encouraging. Reminds me of Phil Henderson's "babies" comment which helped propel them to the Final Four.