Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    It's hard to come back from the lowest-scoring first half of the year. Solid second half. Regular season ACC championship doesn't mean anything. On to the ACC Tournament.
    Well actually it does mean something, such as the #1 seed in the ACC Tournament. While I have no problem facing the heels again, I'd prefer not having to face them after what more than likely is another round of FSU.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but if I am not mistaken there is no such thing as an ACC Regular Season championship. I thought the ACC adopted a rule in like the 60s saying it crowned only one champion (the winner of the ACC tourny).
    Until about 1990, you were right. Around that time, the ACC changed its policy and recognized a "Regular Season Champion", but the official winner of the NCAA bid and the tournament champion is still the designated ACC Champion. Al Featherston had a great article a few days ago on DBR talking about all this.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

All of the rest of the games are on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but if I am not mistaken there is no such thing as an ACC Regular Season championship. I thought the ACC adopted a rule in like the 60s saying it crowned only one champion (the winner of the ACC tourny).
    There has been since 1990. The ACC Champion is officially the winner of the ACC Tournament, but the ACC Regular Season Champion is officially recognized by the league.
    "There can BE only one."

Two things:

1. Okay, bad game. Next Play.

2. 9 Games Left. 9 Games to win.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Having a difficult schedule does not mean that one can not be as good as their record.
    But when you beat most of the good teams on that schedule (6-3 against the top 25), I'd argue that you are.

We beat three of the 5 other potential No 1 seeds on that list of 6 on the graphic during the game.

I'm glad we went down fighting hard. Hopefully we get a rubber match in the ACCT. Miles and Mason both played strong in the second half. We need more from Ryan and Dre. Hopefully Josh will be ready nexgt weekend. Nothing but neutral court games from here.

Carolina played outstanding perimeter defense on our 3 point shooters and their bigs played very well.
    If we can't hit 3s we can't win against a team like Carolina.. not to mention our defense wasn't so hot.
    We were lucky to get away with an 18 point loss.

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    But when you beat most of the good teams on that schedule (6-3 against the top 25), I'd argue that you are.

We beat three of the 5 other potential No 1 seeds on that list of 6 on the graphic during the game.
    We beat them in november. and we have won some games that we had absolutely no business winning (UNC, NCSU)
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Well actually it does mean something, such as the #1 seed in the ACC Tournament. While I have no problem facing the heels again, I'd prefer not having to face them after what more than likely is another round of FSU.
    This. Biggest advantage of being the #1 seed in the ACC Tourney is getting to avoid a semifinal matchup with the Seminoles. Wish we could have forced UNC to beat both teams that took them down in conference to win the Tournament.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Regular season ACC championship doesn't mean anything. On to the ACC Tournament.
    It surely means UNC now has a leg up on Duke for NCAAT 1- seed. Seems as if UK and 'Cuse are certain, with KU, MichSt, UNC, and maybe still Duke fighting for other 1-seeds. I'd think UNC now only needs to make ACCT semis to stay ahead of Duke for a 1-seed, just in case either KU or MichSt falter.

I'll be rooting for OSt at MichSt tomorrow. Also prefer to see Clemson wind up #7 in ACC, so 3 important ACC games tomorrow.

Knew something like this was on the way in CIS with last years comeback and the slaughter the year before. Hopefully we continue our good road play into the ACC and NCAA tourneys. Still, 26-5 in the regular season, 13-3 ACC, thats better than I thought we'd do back in November.

In closing....at least we didn't loose by 32.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    We beat them in november. and we have won some games that we had absolutely no business winning (UNC, NCSU)
    I'm pretty sure that when you score more points than the other team, you have every right to win the game -- I don't recall there being a bylaw in the NCAA that discounts games in which a team was losing before the final buzzer.

While losing to UNC is never fun, I did take enjoyment that when Duke got it down to 11, UNC went away from their style of play & took the air out of the ball. Blowing the game again was definitely in their heads.

I hope Duke sees them in the ACC final. There is no way Duke misses as many open shots as they did in the first 9 minutes of tonight's game.

I think Dre needs more time. He didn't really play either UNC game probably b/c of match-ups so in the tourney, he should get more PT b/c we saw what he can do against FSU. Additionally, we won't face a team with that size more than likely for a while. We can conceivably get the #1 seed but as long as we stay away from UK in the bracket, I think we can get to the F4. Put us in the bracket out West with MSU or KU and I'll be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    Carolina played outstanding perimeter defense on our 3 point shooters and their bigs played very well.
    If we can't hit 3s we can't win against a team like Carolina.. not to mention our defense wasn't so hot.
    We were lucky to get away with an 18 point loss.
    Actually, we had quite a few wide open 3s...they just didn't fall. Most of our 3s were not contested shots.
    Windy City Devil

Dre

11 mins.
    1 FGA
    0 Pts.
    I may not have over 900 wins, but on a night when our offense is not hitting, why not try and get our best shooter some open looks?
    His defense may not be the best, but neither was anybody's tonight.
    I just can't believe how under utilized Dre has been in some games this year. I mean 11 mins? Cmon....

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    I'm pretty sure that when you score more points than the other team, you have every right to win the game -- I don't recall there being a bylaw in the NCAA that discounts games in which a team was losing before the final buzzer.
    Nobodies saying the wins don't count...I was simply providing a justification for Mr. Gottleibs statement.

Its not always about just winning...its often about how you win....
    1200. DDMF.

Answering a post in the in-game thread, which is now closed. Someone said it's odd when Marshall can hit everything but Curry and Dawkins can't. I don't disagree. But Dawkins got to take one shot--at no other time when he was in the game did anyone get the ball to him when he was open, and Coach K didn't give him much time on the court. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I don't get it. When you are deep in the hole and Seth Curry is going 3-13 and Ryan Kelly is going 1-8 and even Austin Rivers is going 1-6 from 3, wouldn't you a) give Dawkins a chance, and/or b) at least suggest that someone pass to him during the few minutes that you did put him in the game?

I really don't know what has happened between Coach K and Andre over the last two weeks, but honestly, I don't think it's a good sign for our post-season prospects. Duke depends on outside shooting, whether we like it or not, and if some folks aren't hitting, it seems like other folks need to get an opportunity. I didn't see Andre do anything so terrible on defense tonight that it justified abandoning him completely (especially since apparently no one could play good defense in the first half, with the possible exception of Miles).

It's not all bad. Our "record by halves" in that game was 1-1.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine