Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 281

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

    MBB: UNC-Chapel Hill 88, Duke 70, Post-Game Thread

    Put your post-game thoughts here. And remember to avoid bashing or venting.
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  2. #2
    Seth Davis does it again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here. And remember to avoid bashing or venting.
    BASHHHH!!!!

    VENT!!!!

    amazing what carolina did when they decided to play defense....

    we had a monster half on the offensive side in the second half....46 points...that's huge

    but we gave up 48 and 40.....same story as all year...defense, and rebounding
    usa

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    BASHHHH!!!!

    VENT!!!!

    amazing what carolina did when they decided to play defense....

    we had a monster half on the offensive side in the second half....46 points...that's huge

    but we gave up 48 and 40.....same story as all year...defense, and rebounding
    Think the second half defense was a lot better - in the first half UNC was getting the shots they wanted and hitting them; in the second half they were getting shots they didn't want and hitting them. Not much to be done about that except not getting into a 26-point hole to start with.

  5. #5
    Knew something like this was on the way in CIS with last years comeback and the slaughter the year before. Hopefully we continue our good road play into the ACC and NCAA tourneys. Still, 26-5 in the regular season, 13-3 ACC, thats better than I thought we'd do back in November.

    In closing.....at least we didn't loose by 32.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    To paraphrase Herm Edwards "To win the game, you must make shots".

    In the first half, we simply just missed a ton of wide open shots. Despite what Dickie V was saying...this was two evenly matched teams (both good at offense, both not so good at defense). They had John Henson hitting 17 foot jumpers...we had missed layups. Sigh.

    The Dukies will come back from this.
    Windy City Devil

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    To paraphrase Herm Edwards "To win the game, you must make shots".

    In the first half, we simply just missed a ton of wide open shots. Despite what Dickie V was saying...this was two evenly matched teams (both good at offense, both not so good at defense). They had John Henson hitting 17 foot jumpers...we had missed layups. Sigh.

    The Dukies will come back from this.
    Actually, Duke is great at offense and bad at defense. UNC is very good on offense and very good on defense. Our great offense could not bail out our bad defense tonight.

  8. #8
    NIGHTMARE 1st half was too much to overcome.

    Off shooting night (variance) and -20 on the boards.

    We simply have to figure out a way for our shooting to not affect the performance on the other end. It seems if we are off shooting our Defensive intensity/focus/effort/etc... all takes a hit as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    NIGHTMARE 1st half was too much to overcome.

    Off shooting night (variance) and -20 on the boards.

    We simply have to figure out a way for our shooting to not affect the performance on the other end. It seems if we are off shooting our Defensive intensity/focus/effort/etc... all takes a hit as well.
    I disagree about its affect on our defense. We had a monster second half on offense....and still gave up 40 points despite the fact that they were playing stall from 10 minutes out. They're just a really friggin good team, and once we couldn't hit a shot, we couldn't stop them consistently enough to come back
    usa

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I disagree about its affect on our defense. We had a monster second half on offense....and still gave up 40 points despite the fact that they were playing stall from 10 minutes out. They're just a really friggin good team, and once we couldn't hit a shot, we couldn't stop them consistently enough to come back
    I'm not saying we are a "good" defensive team when we hit shots (clearly we are not). However, we are a really bad defensive team when we do not hit shots and just an average defense when we do. I think K has said several times this year that our offense affects our D.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN

    What the hell does that mean?

    Doug Gottlieb: "Duke is not as good as their record is." Huh?!?!?!? We played the 4th best schedule of the year and were No 2 in the RPI, and we're not as good as our record?

    I buy that UNC is better than their record (when they decide to play), but I don't get that comment at all.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    Doug Gottlieb: "Duke is not as good as their record is." Huh?!?!?!? We played the 4th best schedule of the year and were No 2 in the RPI, and we're not as good as our record?

    I buy that UNC is better than their record (when they decide to play), but I don't get that comment at all.
    Having a difficult schedule does not mean that one can not be as good as their record.
    usa

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Having a difficult schedule does not mean that one can not be as good as their record.
    But when you beat most of the good teams on that schedule (6-3 against the top 25), I'd argue that you are.

    We beat three of the 5 other potential No 1 seeds on that list of 6 on the graphic during the game.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    But when you beat most of the good teams on that schedule (6-3 against the top 25), I'd argue that you are.

    We beat three of the 5 other potential No 1 seeds on that list of 6 on the graphic during the game.
    We beat them in november. and we have won some games that we had absolutely no business winning (UNC, NCSU)
    usa

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    We beat them in november. and we have won some games that we had absolutely no business winning (UNC, NCSU)
    I'm pretty sure that when you score more points than the other team, you have every right to win the game -- I don't recall there being a bylaw in the NCAA that discounts games in which a team was losing before the final buzzer.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    I'm pretty sure that when you score more points than the other team, you have every right to win the game -- I don't recall there being a bylaw in the NCAA that discounts games in which a team was losing before the final buzzer.
    Nobodies saying the wins don't count......I was simply providing a justification for Mr. Gottleibs statement.

    Its not always about just winning....its often about how you win.....
    usa

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Nobodies saying the wins don't count......I was simply providing a justification for Mr. Gottleibs statement.

    Its not always about just winning....its often about how you win.....
    Not that I'm equating our team this year to the 2001 squad, but I seem to remember that they "had no business" beating Maryland in College Park and lost a home-season closer to them later in the year. That team had no questions about how they won, and they had a 33-point turnaround in the Final Four.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Nobodies saying the wins don't count......I was simply providing a justification for Mr. Gottleibs statement.

    Its not always about just winning....its often about how you win.....
    Why would you want to justify anything that idiot says. GoDuke!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    The Plumlees should gain some confidence out of their second half performance, hopefully they can apply it if we do get to play UNC again. Foul trouble really hurt them but they held their own against UNC's vaunted front line. Would have liked to have played both Plumlees together more, as that would have put a lot of pressure on them inside, but we just couldn't because of fouls.

    What's with all the crazy charge calls? I've never seen anything like that. I think it wound up about even for each team, but I thought almost all of them were blocking fouls.

    We made way, way too many mistakes to have a shot at this one. Missed shots, missed layups, missed free throws, missed rebounds... if we play a near-perfect game we can beat them but it wasn't happening tonight.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    It's not all bad. Our "record by halves" in that game was 1-1.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Similar Threads

  1. FB: North Carolina-Chapel Hill 37, Duke 21
    By mkline09 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 11-29-2011, 12:48 PM
  2. Chapel Hill 'Titletown'?
    By Bluedawg in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-11-2008, 07:04 PM
  3. Duke MBB v UNC-Chapel Hill pre-game/in-game thread
    By TwoDukeTattoos in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 11:01 PM
  4. Duke WBB v UNC-Chapel Hill
    By DukePA in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
  5. Trouble in Chapel Hill?
    By VaDukie in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •