Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skip Prosser

How incredibly sad. I never met the guy, but he seemed like a really good coach, and well respected. My condolences to his family and the Wake team and coaches.

Here is a link to is bio on the Wake Forest sports web site:

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/spo...er_skip00.html

His philosophy reminds me a lot of Coach K's. Wake Forest really has lost a good man.

I really hate that this happened. Even though Wake had a couple of down years, Skip Prosseur did a great job of continuing the success that Dave Odom had started. I really think Wake would have been (and still could be) the surprise team in the ACC this year, it would have ben nice if Skip was at the helm to guide that success. Really seemed like a class act.

When I read the headline this afternoon, I felt numb. How can this happen to such a good guy? WHY? Everything seemed to be going so well for Coach Prosser. . .

I went to law school at Wake Forest, and I was proud to pull for Coach Prosser and his Demon Deacons (when they weren't playing Duke). How can the Wake Forest players go on when their beloved coach isn't there to guide them anymore? Coach Prosser WAS Wake Forest. He epitomized the ideals of the university, making the academic success of his players one of his top priorities. He was doing things the right way and building a strong basketball program at Wake Forest.

My heart goes out to Coach Prosser's family, to his team, and to his friends.

Skip's son Mark Prosser is a coach at Bucknell

Mark Prosser, Skip's son, is an assistant coach at Bucknell. The Bison are scheduled to visit Wake this December. Who knows if they'll go through with that game now. But if they do play, I'm sure it will be a very bittersweet moment. It should have been a touching on-court clash between father and son. Skip Prosser built solid programs everywhere he went, and here's hoping Mark Prosser succeeds in coaching as well. That would be another great legacy for a really good person.

Skip Prosser was one of those coaches you like having in the league. I'll miss him, and I know a lot of Duke and ACC fans feel the same way. Condolences to his family, friends, and everyone associated with Wake Forest.

This is terribly sad news. My condolences go out to Prosser’s family and the entire Wake nation.

A real gentleman

Not long after arriving in NC from Scotland, I spent a weekend at the Grove Park Inn. One quiet afternoon, whilst in the spa, I came across Coach Prosser. I was just becoming acquainted with basketball and thought that I perhaps recognized him but didn't know from where. He was very unassuming, full of funny stories and great crack. Eventually I asked him what he did, he responded by saying he did a bit of coaching. I asked him what and where and he responded by saying he coached basketball in NC. That was it. He kept it very low key. I assumed he coached high school. Only later that weekend I discovered he coached WF.

Coach Prosser was an absolute gentleman, someone who instantly becomes one's friend. I can certainly understand why his players came to WF and it is no surprise how well he recruited this year. If I hadn't come to Duke I would have easily supported Wake. Skip, I will miss you.

All you guys out there that think this will never happen to you -- learn. Get your cholesterol checked - get your coronaries scanned - be careful in your jogging, basketball etc - it can happen to you. The first heart attack is often the fatal one.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    Not long after arriving in NC from Scotland, I spent a weekend at the Grove Park Inn. One quiet afternoon, whilst in the spa, I came across Coach Prosser. I was just becoming acquainted with basketball and thought that I perhaps recognized him but didn't know from where. He was very unassuming, full of funny stories and great crack. Eventually I asked him what he did, he responded by saying he did a bit of coaching. I asked him what and where and he responded by saying he coached basketball in NC. That was it. He kept it very low key. I assumed he coached high school. Only later that weekend I discovered he coached WF.

Coach Prosser was an absolute gentleman, someone who instantly becomes one's friend. I can certainly understand why his players came to WF and it is no surprise how well he recruited this year. If I hadn't come to Duke I would have easily supported Wake. Skip, I will miss you.
    Thanks for the story, Johnny B. Sounds like we lost a gem of a man today.

link to Wake Message Board

Terrible loss for the entire NCAA, not just the ACC. Skip, you will be greatly missed.

Skip

Like all the previous posters, I was shocked to hear about Coach Prosser passing away. Kind of makes you want to seize the day because we never know when it will be our last. The guy was always good for a great quote and IMO tried to run a clean program. DBR had posted several artciles over the past few weeks about the verbal commitment list he had put together for the 2008 season. I hate to be morbid, and if it gets me banned so be it. But what are the chances any those three recruits (Al-Farouq Aminu, Ty Walker & Tony Woods) actually ink with Wake after this tragedy? I know much of that will depend on whom Wake gets to replace Mr. Prosser. Has anyone heard any early rumours about possible replacements? Forgive me for looking ahead to possible scenarios while Wake fans (and basketball fans in general) are still in mourning. But if those recruits back out of their verbal non-binding commitments, I think we all know a couple of schools (and one in particular) where we DON'T want them to end up. What were those recruits "other" potential suitors who might be back in the running now? I don't know about the rest of you people, but the day Coach K dies I'll be crying like a chick laying in the shower like in one of those lifetime movies! Mr. Prosser seemed to be a class act and as genuine as they come.
    Last edited by Uncle Drew; 07-27-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Additional comment

ACC dedication

I really think that the ACC should take out the time and dedicate the season and/or year-ending tournament to him.

He seemed to be an absolute great guy, and exactly the kind of coach you want a rival to have.

a class act

When I heard the news of his death I just broke out in tears. I loved him -- from Xavier to WK. I send hugs to his family and his BB players. Damn.

Coach Prosser -- his family, friends , players, the Wake basketball community, WFU, and really all of us who love ACC hoops -- are in my prayers today. Prosser was a fine man, beyond his obvious basketball an coaching skills, and I always admired his rye sense of humor. My heart wants to believe that somehow, some good will come from this -- but I don't understand how. This is simply a tragedy.

My heartfelt condolences to the Prosser family and the Wake Forest community. I was an undergraduate at the University of Dayton when Coach Prosser was at Xavier and met him on several occassions. I was then a graduate student at Duke when he began his tenure with Wake. Being a fairly visible fan at Duke and invovled with ticketing, I again had the pleasure to meet Coach Prosser and was shocked that not only did he remember me from Dayton, but took the time to ask after some friends of mine that he had also breifly met. He was truly one of the great men in all of college sports, and did things the right way. He was concerned with more than just winning... he cared about his players and those around him. It is tragic that he will not be a fixture in the ACC for years to come, and our prayers are with the Prosser family and Wake Forest University.

I really think that the ACC should take out the time and dedicate the season and/or year-ending tournament to him.
    I agree 100 percent. Dedicating the Tournament of all Tournaments, our very own ACC Championship, would be a grand way to celebrate the life of an apparently grand human being. I never had the pleasure of meeting Coach Prosser while he was on earth, but, after hearing the high praise and acclaim others have shared of him not only on here but throughout the rest of the sporting world as well, I would love to meet him one day.

May God bless his family and friends while trying to make sense of this truly horrible tragedy.

What a tragic loss for his family, his school, the ACC, and NCAA basketball. I was looking forward to years of great, hard-fought games against his teams. We will all miss him very much.

I just read about Skip Prosser's funeral today. I will *definitely* miss him in the ACC. He was my favorite. He always had a smile on his face, even when imploring his team on, or arguing with refs. To me, he seemed like a great person (unfortunately, I only "know" him from watching him on TV whenever Wake Forest was on). Also, his experience with the troops in the Mid-East... what a great loss to *all* of us.

I want to express my deepest condolences to the Prosser family... and to the Wake Forest community.