Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Anyhow to add to my previous statements, I'm not disappointed with the Coach P hire. I just wouldn't consider us LUCKY to have hired her. There's a middle ground there that I'm in.
    I agree with this. The only things I'll add to the discussion are a reminder at how different women's college basketball is from men's (it's easier to keep your status as a top team because of the lack of competition), and that at least some of the initial bad feelings about Coach P came from the girls themselves. That hardly counts as screeching unreasonable fans. But yes, Coach P is certainly doing a good job these days.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Hmmm. Just think what the next MEN'S coach will have to do before he gets your stamp of approval. And how long he'll just be above average (IF he can win like Coach P). Then realize that Duke doesn't have a "family tree" coach like Roy Williams to come back home after great success at another school. I'm just hoping the wheels don't come completely off.
    Really? Duke doesn't have any successful coaches in their family tree?

Synder is a Lakers Asst. Coach.
    Brey at Notre Dame.
    Dawkins at Stanford having to rebuild (conference play has been up and down)
    Capel - back at Duke
    Collins - born to coach
    Wojo - he's gonna be around a while
    Amaker - Wait - isn't this guy responsible for righting the ship at Michigan and getting HARVARD ranked?
    Brickey - yep - he coaches too
    And then there was this kid named Greg Paulus...
    Hold up - hold up - hold up! This guy named Hurley just started coaching too. Wait - so did a guy named Laettner...

And honestly I'm pretty sure I'm leaving someone out...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

Brey at Notre Dame.
    Capel - back at Duke
    Collins - born to coach
    Amaker - Wait - isn't this guy responsible for righting the ship at Michigan and getting HARVARD ranked?
    Hold up - hold up - hold up! This guy named Hurley just started coaching too. Wait - so did a guy named Laettner...

David Henderson -- was at Delaware for a long time, not sure now.
    Timmy O'Toole -- was a Fairfiled for a long time, not sure now.

When K leaves, the situation will be different. Duke wont be replacing their coach because the coach that built the program into a power couldn't stand working for the AD anymore.

And it would be wise to leave K's successor alone for 5 years and see what happens, barring serious off court issues.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Brey at Notre Dame.
    Capel - back at Duke
    Collins - born to coach

I am pretty sure KL knows there is a rich family tree at Duke. I believe also though that he pointed out that none of them have had the success that Roy did before taking over at UNC. While he didn't win the championship, he went to the FF four times with Kansas.
    None of K's group that you have listed have even been once. Capel lost in the Elite 8, that's as far as he's made it. (With Ok.) Snyder lost in the Elite 8, that was his highest acheivment too. Brey made it once to the Sweet Sixteen. (2003) Amaker never made the NCAA's with Michigan. Dawkins has not made the NCAA's.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I am pretty sure KL knows there is a rich family tree at Duke. I believe also though that he pointed out that none of them have had the success that Roy did before taking over at UNC. While he didn't win the championship, he went to the FF four times with Kansas.
    None of K's group that you have listed have even been once. Capel lost in the Elite 8, that's as far as he's made it. (With Ok.) Snyder lost in the Elite 8, that was his highest acheivment too. Brey made it once to the Sweet Sixteen. (2003) Amaker never made the NCAA's with Michigan. Dawkins has not made the NCAA's.
    Minor edit: Amaker did lead Seton Hall to the Sweet 16 in 99-00 season. Hopefully, he will get some further tourney experience this year with Harvard!

This doesn't take into account that Williams took over a Kansas team FRESH off of a National Championship - and the fact that he was a UNC assistant prior to his stint at Kansas where he actually took over for a UNC Alum, Larry Brown (which wasn't a stretch b/c UNC and Kansas do have quite the history together).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This doesn't take into account that Williams took over a Kansas team FRESH off of a National Championship - and the fact that he was a UNC assistant prior to his stint at Kansas where he actually took over for a UNC Alum, Larry Brown (which wasn't a stretch b/c UNC and Kansas do have quite the history together).
    In defending Roy I filled my "being nice to the baby blues" quota for this decade, so I'm not going any further with it.
    But I still think it is highly remarkable that Duke got as fortunate as we did with P, and that we've remained the high caliber team that we've become accustomed to. I really, really hope we beat Miami or the Hurricanes flat out don't make it to Sunday so we get to play our regional in Raleigh. As UCONN proved in Cameron, home court advantage is not given as a victory...but it sure would help against ND. Coach P has had Duke in the Elite 8 the last two years, and we let our best shot slip away when we lost to Baylor in 2010. (Handed that victory to them, even...bleah.) There was no way we were going to beat UCONN last year. This year, being down to 8 players, IF we make it back to the Elite 8 we're going to need every advantage we can get, including a home court crowd. This team has the attitude to do it, and I think we have the coaching. That being said, I'm licking my chops at the thought of next year with everyone back and healthy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This is what I meant, thanks. I've seen all of these guys play (except Brey) in person, and have watched with interest as they have gone into coaching. Nothing would make me happier than to see one of them succeed wildly at Duke. And it can happen. But we do not have anybody in the pipeline with the experience and success that Roy had before coming to UNC. And HE didn't even want to be the first coach after Dean. Or the second. My main point is this: There are plenty of people who aren't on board with a women's coach who has been very successful at keeping Duke competitive on a national level. She faced opposition from the fans. She faced opposition from some of the players. She has made mistakes, but overall, Joanne McCallie has done a great job, considering the obstacles. People can say, "Aw, it's Duke, she OUGHTA win.", but that is far from the truth. It has taken a lot of hard work. And if you think Duke will just plug in a new men's coach and there'll be no problems? Well, I hope you're right. But it might be harder to replace the best college basketball coach ever born than you might think. Then again, I wouldn't bet against Coach K having our backs on the new hire, too. But every stumble will be accompanied by enough howls of protest that the job won't be easy. Get on board with Ms. McCallie. Call it the "practice" for the next men's coach.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I don't see how that lessens the fact that Williams is much more successful than anyone on K's tree. Brown kindly left the team in probation for Williams' first season, and only one player from that championship squad was left when they faced Duke in the final.

Shall we revisit this topic based on today's events? Losing to a 9 seed who played yesterday in a sport that lacks parity? This was beyond inexcusable. First time a 9 beats a 1. First time Duke doesn't win an ACC Tourney game after 17 straight years.

Discuss
    Last edited by msdukie; 03-02-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Shall we revisit this topic based on today's events? Losing to a 9 seed who played yesterday in a sport that lacks parity? This was beyond inexcusable. First time a 9 beats a 1. First time Duke doesn't win an ACC Tourney game after 17 straight years.

Discuss
    I don't think its fair to condemn her based on a single game, but its certainly fair to say that the other elite teams don't usually lose like this in their conference tournaments. The duke women and Coach P aren't there yet. Uconn lost to st johns a couple weeks ago. ND lost to west virginia. Losses happen. NCSU is 5-11 in conference, though. That's pretty bad relative to duke. If duke wants to get up to the pantheon of women's basketball, they can't lose these games.

Again, I think the next 2-3 years will be critical if coach P wants to inarguably establish herself as one of the top coaches in the game.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post

Discuss
    We also won the regular season this year. I didn't get to watch the game but kudos to State for the victory. I hardly think one game is worth questioning the job that Coach P has done at Duke.

We also won the regular season this year. I didn't get to watch the game but kudos to State for the victory. I hardly think one game is worth questioning the job that Coach P has done at Duke.
    Pretty much sets the tone for Maryland to win the tourney and with the wacky women's bracketing we could see a rematch of the teams.

Duke women should see the Sweet 16.

This was a great year for Coach P but next year looks to be the real wonder of her work.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I don't think its fair to condemn her based on a single game, but its certainly fair to say that the other elite teams don't usually lose like this in their conference tournaments. The duke women and Coach P aren't there yet. Uconn lost to st johns a couple weeks ago. ND lost to west virginia. Losses happen. NCSU is 5-11 in conference, though. That's pretty bad relative to duke. If duke wants to get up to the pantheon of women's basketball, they can't lose these games.

Again, I think the next 2-3 years will be critical if coach P wants to inarguably establish herself as one of the top coaches in the game.
    There is far more evidence than a single game. And Duke WAS there under G, at the top, beating championship teams, with the only difference being that Duke couldn't win the last game. The current regime isn't at that level. State had to play yesterday. If Duke got upset by a low seed in the semis (see State - 2007), that is a lot different than a #1 being knocked off by a #9. In fact, that's never happened in the Women's ACC Tournament. St. John's and West Virginia are also far better than this State team.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Duke women should see the Sweet 16.
    Why? Pretty sure Duke will have to beat a team much better than NC State to get to the Sweet 16. Maybe two teams.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    And to think, Coach P was not Alleva's first choice.
    This alone raises her stock a few points. I wonder if Coach G looks back forlornly at what might have been with Kevin White in charge? Possibly not; Austin's a great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Except Coach P is on the list of coaches who have gotten to the Final Four. She just hasn't done it with Duke yet. But the fact she's on that list weakens your point, IMO.
    So did Paul Hewitt. Just goes to show what some luck and recruiting success can produce for one season. Not much of a marker in my opinion. If the bar is likely hood of winning a NC, I think Coach P comes up short based on her body of work
    Last edited by 77devil; 03-02-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Geno applied for the Duke job; however, Duke chose Goestenkors. The advantage that Coach P had over other applicants was that she has a "traditional family"...

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Why? Pretty sure Duke will have to beat a team much better than NC State to get to the Sweet 16. Maybe two teams.
    This Duke team should be a #2 seed. Do you realize the kinda team they play in the first round? There's much less parity in women's bball...

This Duke team should be a #2 seed. Do you realize the kinda team they play in the first round? There's much less parity in women's bball...
    Duke *may* be a #2 seed. They can't take anything for granted now.

And I didn't say I thought Duke would be playing a good team, I said I thought they might end up playing a team better than N.C. State. Big difference.