Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    killed on the boards, absolutely miserable shooting performance, UNC has hit tough shots as well as not so tough shots... Brutal

We can come back... We just need to hit shots and defend like we are capable of and we can get back in this.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    This is a lesson in what happens when you are having an off-shooting night from the field without a reliable inside game to stem the tide with high precentages shots. I don't think I've ever seen Duke this tight. Curry's shooting as tentatively as I've ever seen him. Short-arming his free throws are you kidding me? We've had the open shots but just missed terribly, many short of the rim (Curry, Kelly, Dawkins) and it's hard to understand why. I thought Duke may be vulnerable in this game but not due to a lack of confidence. Give Williams credit he has his team focused and ready to play. I thought if Duke could put some game pressure on them early, the spectre of Rivers' shot would rise up from the depths of their psyche but Duke's ragged shooting from the start has made it easy for the tools.
    This.

Also, when Marshall can shoot but Curry and Dawkins can't, the universe is wildly out of whack.

It seems they make every ridiculous shot they toss up there, and I've never seen Duke miss so many shots, many of them inside of 6 feet! I'm hoping for a respectable loss at this point. I don't think you can spot the Tar Heels 22 points and expect to beat them.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    well, we'd better start hitting some shots, or it's gonna be 82-50...
    Break it down by segments, Get it to 15 points by 15 minute mark, 10 by 10...etc. The game's not over but the margin of error is non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    If Coach K is smart, he will put Peyton Manning in. He gets 6 points everytime he scores
    Thanks...needed that laugh!

Our team just needs to show some heart.
    ~rthomas

Duke's magic number is 75. If they can hold UNC under that, I think is possible for them to go off and score 51 to get there, but even with great shooting that's about as much as I can see duke getting. For psychological reasons going forward, though, I think Duke needs to win this half by at least 10 and have a final margin under 15 to prevent any kind of carry over.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    killed on the boards, absolutely miserable shooting performance, UNC has hit tough shots as well as not so tough shots... Brutal

We can come back... We just need to hit shots and defend like we are capable of and we can get back in this.
    to do this, we have to do everything we didn't do in the 1st half, and then some. I don't think this team has that guy who can get everyone up and playing at their potential. Individually some players will, but it doesn't seem like a leadership-driven attribute.

Do we dare press Marshall to try to get back in it?

We need to try something different but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    What has impressed me most is how scared everybody is when shooting in the lane, Henson's a good shot blocker but there's no reason for our guys to be shooting so weakly.
    Must drive right up and into Henson, up and into his chest and chin. Better odds at drawing foul than avoiding a block. Henson way too long, but not way strong. Too late to do this for this game, as it has to happen from the first drive.

Not too late for guards to block out in second half to good effect, but it's not their instinct, which is to ball-watch. Fundamentally bad D by small guards, who cannot outrebound taller guys, but could block out. Not their instincts, and Heels very smartly - Roy's excellent gameplan and players' excellent execution - taking advantage of this - repeat - fundamentally poor D.

Not fun for a Duke fan to watch, but Heels' play is excellent, abetted by Duke's poor D and poor shooting.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-03-2012 at 08:18 PM.

I saw this coming a mile away (well, not this level of a beatdown, exactly, but I saw it coming). I told my brother earlier this week that I expected us to come out tight and get down big in the first half. Let's face it, Duke hasn't played all that great at home in conference this year, plus we'd already beaten UNC at their place so no one outside of Chapel Hill expected them to win and so I knew they would come out loose. When Kelly was so hot in the Wake game, I figured that would mean he wouldn't shoot well tonight and, well, like I said, I saw it coming.

Of course, I hope that we have some pride and heart in the 2nd half and make a decent showing. Right now, this is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This.

Also, when Marshall can shoot but Curry and Dawkins can't, the universe is wildly out of whack.

It seems they make every ridiculous shot they toss up there, and I've never seen Duke miss so many shots, many of them inside of 6 feet! I'm hoping for a respectable loss at this point. I don't think you can spot the Tar Heels 22 points and expect to beat them.
    Agreed on all points. This just isn't our night - period. I had a very bad feeling going into this game, so I won't be devastated if we can't come back and win this one (and I honestly don't see that happening in any way, shape, or form). Hopefully this will help us to be loose for the ACC tourney and beyond. We certainly can't play any worse than we have in the first half of this one.

You won the first 4 minutes. Come back at the under 12 timeout down by 12. Chip away. Go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Our team just needs to show some heart.
    I agree, heart is important, but right now, we need shooting accuracy and some D. [I have no doubt they care and are trying - their shooting is almost like a golfer's "yips"]

Doesn't look like a comeback is in play tonight but either UNC took the foot off of our throats or our effort has been much better in the 2nd half (or some combination thereof)

Wow, if Henson is going to keep draining these 15+ foot jumpers... Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on. LOL

This entire game is a teaching moment. Compete hard and live to play the next game!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Wow, if Henson is going to keep draining these 15+ foot jumpers... Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on. LOL
    Not to mention the left handed fade away hook and one!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I agree, heart is important, but right now, we need shooting accuracy and some D. [I have no doubt they care and are trying - their shooting is almost like a golfer's "yips"]
    I think their D this half has been pretty good. You just have to shake you're head when Henson hits a fade away. The problem is when you're down by more than 20, you need to play perfect ball and have all the breaks go you're way. Duke's shooting 23.5% from 3. That's certainly really bad, but it's not like one of those 1-22 games. That's this teams problem. For the most part to beat good teams with size, Duke needs to shoot at least close to 40% to have a chance. In Duke's best years, they only needed to shoot 30% to have a chance, and 40% would lead to a blowout. Because of the D, that's not the case this year.

Yeah, if Henson's gonna hit EVERYTHING he throws near the basket, it ain't our night, folks. We simply can't stop them and we haven't shown that we can score consistently, so if there is even a remote chance of winning, we've gotta get some stops. Now, it would help if the refs called even HALF of Zeller's shoves in the lower back against the Plumlees and we could get Tyler a seat next to Roy but, short of that, we're probably going down hard.

Tough game tonight fellas. The mental side of basketball has taken over. Need to focus on lateral quickness and noone has it but Gbnije. He's not getting in the game so we'll take it on the chin tonight. A 2-seed in the NCAA's not bad at all.

BTW, when Kelly isn't hitting shots, he's like Dawkins. I just don't see him contributing at all on the defensive end. I love Duke basketball to death, but I've never seen a big guy try to take a charge every single time he's around the goal. The opposing guy could be 5'11 or 7'1, Kelly will never try for the block. He will always try to take the charge.

I hope we can make it respectable. I wish Dawkins would get a shot to fall. Always seems to pick the the team up.