Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This story of one young player's life on the court is certainly developing into a happy ending! It seems only yesterday that folks were complaining of his poor foot work and other attributes. Miles is to be congratulated for the hard work and tenacity (on the court and in the weight room) needed to develop into a game changer.

His personal journey seems to suggest that the adage about big guys needing longer to develop is absolutely true.

Besides the beard and the lovely haircut this year (sorry, this is from a female perspective), Miles has made great strides in his play as well!

I have been high on the Miles bandwagon for the past month. It is so fun to watch when a player finally puts "it" all together. To me, in 2010, that team was all about realizing and playing to their potential (Zoubs and Lance) and coming together to play as a TEAM. As a fan, that is probably the most memorable year yet. Miles is making some of those same strides.

Miles has surely been playing to his potential and he's doing all the little things. From mastering the art of the "tip-out" on offensive boards to his defensive spacing, I've been in awe of his contributions to this team. IMO, he's the reason we won that NC State game...his defensive positioning and rotations were key factors in preventing them from getting easy baskets and helped us get back in the ball game.

Thank you, Miles. YOU are what college basketball is all about. YOU are the reason I am an obsessive fan.
    Senior night will be a happy night, but I'll shed a few tears for the amazing player he's become, but also for the outstanding individual he has, is, and will be.

Miles has been a far better player than even Duke fans have given him credit for. In a way similar to Zoubek, he has always been a beast on the boards. When you take into account both offensive and defensive rebounding, Miles is second only to Zoubek among Duke forwards since 2000 (Shelden was marginally better (.2% better) on the defensive end, but Miles is way better on the offensive end). Actually, Mason has been better at defensive rebounding this season, but I'm not ready to shut the book on his career, yet (one more year!). On a team that doesn't get a lot of boards from its guards, Miles' boardsmanship has been absolutely essential. As he's gotten more minutes, his per game stats have started to reflect what he's always done. It is my biggest wish that he is able to continue to operate at a high level and do his part to help the team rebound its way to a title . . . or two (ACC and NCAA sounds good to me).

I'll always be a fan of Plumbeard. Thanks Miles.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Miles has been a far better player than even Duke fans have given him credit for. In a way similar to Zoubek, he has always been a beast on the boards. When you take into account both offensive and defensive rebounding, Miles is second only to Zoubek among Duke forwards since 2000 (Shelden was marginally better (.2% better) on the defensive end, but Miles is way better on the offensive end). Actually, Mason has been better at defensive rebounding this season, but I'm not ready to shut the book on his career, yet (one more year!). On a team that doesn't get a lot of boards from its guards, Miles' boardsmanship has been absolutely essential. As he's gotten more minutes, his per game stats have started to reflect what he's always done. It is my biggest wish that he is able to continue to operate at a high level and do his part to help the team rebound its way to a title . . . or two (ACC and NCAA sounds good to me).
    I'm not quite sure I agree with the first sentence. I agree that Miles has had very good rebounding rate stats on aggregate. The problem has been that he has been highly inconsistent in his production from night to night in terms of total production. Whether it be foul trouble or just not having it on some nights, he hasn't always been a presence. He'd have a monster game here and there and then go silent for games on end.

This is really the first stretch of several games in a row in which he's been a presence. In that way, he's been very similar to Zoubek. He's been a key piece of 3 ACC championships and a national championship, but it hasn't been until now that the pieces have really started to fall into place consistently for him. He's been able to be a presence game after game down the stretch rather than tossing in some real clunkers along the way. I'm really excited for his progress this year. Hopefully he's able to continue to build on his current run of success and contribute mightily to a 4th ACC championship in a row and maybe even another NCAA title.

I think he and Mason are huge keys to our chances in March/April. We need them to be big-time as the stakes increase. It seems like Miles is taking that step. Hopefully he continues to do so, and hopefully Mason regains his early-season form.

Thank you, Miles, for 4 great years. Your hardwork and team-first attitude are priceless. You will be missed when this season ends... now, let's keep it going into April with a couple more banners on the way.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Plumful of love for Miles!

I am so happy that Miles has been channeling his inner Zoubs this season, and it's been in full effect the last several games. He's always had the athletic ability and skill, but it was a matter of him believing he had it! The guys often say that he is great in practice, but just needed to show it in the games. I think it speaks volumes that he earned the inaugural Iron Duke Strength and Conditioning Belt for his work off the court. He's put his time in. The guys speak very highly of him, and he has a great overall positive, kind-hearted demeanor to boot. I think he'll be a big key for us going forward. I really, really want him to have a great Senior Night at Cameron. What a special night for him!

On a purely non-basketball note, Miles has gotten hotter and studlier in his senior year! I'm loving the hair, beard, and "Clark Kent" look he has going on sometimes...lolol...

Thanks for everything, Miles! Let it all out there on the floor these last games, and GIVE CAROLINA HELL!!!!

(me too...) THANK YOU!!!!! MILES!!!!!!

bump!!!!!!

I'm seeing a 12 and 14 game in Plumlee's last game at Cameron. And a victory. Bring it home in style, Miles.

I'm not quite sure I agree with the first sentence. I agree that Miles has had very good rebounding rate stats on aggregate. The problem has been that he has been highly inconsistent in his production from night to night in terms of total production. Whether it be foul trouble or just not having it on some nights, he hasn't always been a presence. He'd have a monster game here and there and then go silent for games on end.
    Exactly. He just never seemed to play well consistently. The strength and leaping ability have always been there (Zoubs was always 7'-1" his whole
    time at Duke too) , but the footwork, ability to catch the ball and make plays, and the ability to avoid fouls haven't. Also, he's never really had great
    lateral quickness either; he's a pretty good north-south player, but not a great east-west one, and I think that's had something to do with both his
    penchant for fouls and traveling. Now, with the number of games winding down, he's simply rebounding, playing defense, and taking smart shots; at
    this point, that's exactly what we need from him, just like Zoubs. What he's giving us now is just what we need, when we need it.

Let's go big guy! Close with a bang! GoDuke!

I think he looks a lot better in royal blue than he would have in cardinal. Plus, I think his growth as a player can be credited to the efforts of WOJO!--well...Miles himself deserves most of the credit. Effort, work, effort, work.

Thanks Miles -- for being you. And thanks to Mason for getting you here.

Big Miles fan here. He's probably my favorite player on this team, possibly because he has an "everyman" quality about him. Hate to see him go, but that's part of the college game.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Huge thanks to Miles, who came and helped when we REALLY needed him, and is an excellent example of both a Duke basketball player and, more importantly, a Duke student. A really good all-around young man.

Thanks Miles! We'll miss you

I hope he dunks Henson's spindly arm through the rim. I remember last year when our bigs just completely man-handled UNC's frontcourt in the ACC Finals, led by Miles. I'd love to see that again.

What I've noticed about Miles most these past six games (I have to admit, I didn't catch all of them) has less to do with how well Miles has been playing, than with how he presents when on the court. Me, I'm seeing a different guy, a guy who runs the court with ease and fluidity, who displays the beginnings of a smile when there is a moment of respite from the heat of action, and who has a relaxed look around his eyes that seem to have a brightness about them I have not noticed in Miles before. What's all this about? Who knows. But, I'd like to think it has something to do with what K has said he always wants for and from his guys--a commitment to growing, getting better, not just as individuals but also as a team.

Miles, I think, came to Duke precisely because he heard K speak in those terms, that it resonated with him so strongly because that is probably who Miles Plumlee has always been. We all have seen that in Miles from the begining, but seem to describe "it" differently. Maybe you have to play for K to really "get" what that commitment actually comprises, and maybe the key to it all is seeing first-hand, day-in and day-out how the older guys conduct themselves from the time they enter the locker room until they leave, and at all times in between. Miles learned what it meant to play for Duke from two of the best, and I think that he understood by the time that this run of his began that he had done for his younger teammates precisely what Lance and Brian had done for him. I also think that Miles learned something else at that same time, something that makes him chuckle to himself, a chuckle displayed in that grin that seems to come so easily now--I think that it hit him that he had been wrong all these years, that the committment to strive to be better did not mean that he had to be so damn serious when game time came, that he could play with the freedom and joy that the game holds for him. Yeap, I think that Miles was and remains tickled that he got this "little" upside down misconception righted while there was still time--while there still was a meaningful number of games to be played, important ones, games that he could play with all that weight, weight of his own making, off his back. The twinkle? Simple, Miles Plumlee is ready to have himself some fun, to play the game he loves with all the freedom he can bring to it.

We've caught a glimpse of what type of play that can produce, and like everyone else, I would enjoy nothing more than to see him take it even farther, to see him have a storybook finish. But, however it turns out, Miles Plumlee has had quite a ride, and I gotta believe that he and his family, his coach and all the guys at Duke who he's played with, know it. As for me, I'm very happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    Your hardwork and team-first attitude are priceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Exactly. He just never seemed to play well consistently. The strength and leaping ability have always been there (Zoubs was always 7'-1" his whole
    time at Duke too) , but the footwork, ability to catch the ball and make plays, and the ability to avoid fouls haven't. Also, he's never really had great
    lateral quickness either; he's a pretty good north-south player, but not a great east-west one, and I think that's had something to do with both his
    penchant for fouls and traveling. Now, with the number of games winding down, he's simply rebounding, playing defense, and taking smart shots; at
    this point, that's exactly what we need from him, just like Zoubs. What he's giving us now is just what we need, when we need it.
    Maybe--but what he HAS done consistently is just what BuschDevil noted--worked hard and had a team-first attitude. I've seen games in which Miles didn't play well or made errors, certainly--but I don't ever remember seeing a game in which he wasn't hustling, working hard, trying to do something good for the team whenever he was on the court. He made an interesting choice from the beginning--to come to Duke where the odds were good he would always be "the other Plumlee." The reality has been, perhaps, a little more complicated than that, but most of the time he has, indeed, taken a bit of a back seat to Mason in terms of attention and expectations. But it seems he has made the most of his experience, growing as a player, a leader, a person, and a student.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

The twinkle? Simple, Miles Plumlee is ready to have himself some fun, to play the game he loves with all the freedom he can bring to it.

We've caught a glimpse of what type of play that can produce, and like everyone else, I would enjoy nothing more than to see him take it even farther, to see him have a storybook finish. But, however it turns out, Miles Plumlee has had quite a ride, and I gotta believe that he and his family, his coach and all the guys at Duke who he's played with, know it. As for me, I'm very happy for him.
    Me too--I think you make a very good observation here, as well--it may be a chicken-egg thing, but Miles seems to play best when he looks most relaxed and happy on the court. Really, that may be the biggest trick--you have to be willing to work your tail off, do things that are tedious, make the extra time commitment, probably get yelled at from time to time, during practice and off-season preparation--most of that probably isn't actually much fun. But when you get on the court in a game, to get your best performance you have to be able to channel your love of the sport--to have fun playing (even if you do it with a really fierce facial expression, like Austin Rivers).

Recently while watching a game (I think it was the FSU game) I realized that Miles is just my favorite Duke player this year. Something about him just has me rooting for him to do well like no other. I think he's playing really well and has a great attitude. Earlier in the year there was a lot of talk about leadership on this Duke team. I think Miles shows leadership.

I'm not sure anyone saw Miles become one of the best rebounders in the NCAA, but that's what he's gone and done his senior year. Too often overshadowed by his brother, Miles continues to exceed expectations. He won't be competing for individual awards, but he's certainly the key to our competing inside, and we'll miss him more than we know.

Go Miles!!