Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Admiral Akbar sends his congratulations...

and i concur...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Couple of rebounds and then throwing it back up when clock was the issue. Curry and Ryan were the culprits. Just not thinking.

Glad for the 8-0 on the road, but sloppy end.

On to Saturday and the ACC regular season championship on the line.

GTHC!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    From my seat in the living room I saw Andre get his shot blocked. Then he proceeded to let his man beat him off the dribble two times and then drop kick the ball over to Wake. I don't know if he was in foul trouble, but he sure got the hook pretty quicky not to return. GoDuke!
    That's what I saw from my seat in the living room as well. A comfy seat for the most part, then it got a little warm and uncomfortable when Duke's nap time started. Gl

I'm glad we held on but I could have lived without the State impression at the end. Maybe a somewhat close call like this will keep us from being complacent going into Saturday's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Each time he got put in the game in the 2nd half he did one of 3 things (sometimes all 3 during one stint on the court): get beat off the dribble for a layup, miss an open shot, turn it over. He is a shooter so when he misses OPEN looks and doesn't play much defense, he is a liability
    Well, this explanation would be more convincing if Andre had actually taken any shots in the second half. But since he didn't (at least according to the ESPN play by play), it's not actually possible that he did all three of these things in the same stint on the court in the 2nd half.
    Last edited by MCFinARL; 02-28-2012 at 11:34 PM.

I thought the 2nd half was important for Mason. He was not finishing plays and not getting the ball a whole lot. But he was hitting his free throws and continued to work. This was the sort of game that showed his maturity. He did not disappear but kept doing his job setting screens and playing good defense. Finally, he hits a few big free throws and has a key bucket down the stretch. That's got to feel good for him, to break out of a little slump after grinding out an up-an-down, guard-oriented game that was not in his wheelhouse. Good for him.

Seth Curry is officially good at taking his man off the dribble. This is an excellent development for the Blue Devils.

Miles is officially good at rebounding and this is also excellent for the Blue Devils.

I was hoping for a better, more confidence building finish, but a win on the road in conference is never a given. I'll take it. Time for those sob's down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Seriously, this has been happening for three years now and you are suddenly made aware...
    Well... I've seen it awhile too... just was wondering if someone has more current insight into what's going on. (sorry if I just stated the obvious)

Congrats on an undefeated ACC road season! I've come to expect games like this, so whatever. Surprised and a little disappointed Gbinije didn't get a little more burn; really, he would have been the perfect guy to guard their undersized, mobile, hot-shooting PF who was abusing Mase and Ryan early. But Gbinije left him to help on a fast break early on and gave up a 3, and never saw the court again. I suppose K's going to run with the horses he has at this point, and just wants to get the most reps with them as possible at this point.

Re: Andre - the only thing that drives me crazy about him is his defensive slides. A shooter is going to be streaky, so that doesn't bother me, but he seems to completely forget this extremely fundamental aspect of basketball at times. There was one time in particular today where he was iso'd 30 feet from the basket, D'ing up McKie (I think), and instead of sliding laterally when McKie made his move, he just turned and stood up straight. We do this too often anyway, which I generally excuse as necessary turning-and-chasing due to lack of lateral quickness. However, McKie hadn't turned the corner on Dre when he stood up, and he didn't even try to stay in front of him. Not one slide. Love the kid, but I wonder what he's thinking sometimes...

Anyway, I thought our defense continued to look much better for the first 28 minutes tonight. Wake may have helped us a bit in that respect, but it was our third game in six days. W's a W.

Hope Curry's knee and Kelly's ankle are alright, as they both tweaked them in the 2nd half. I was surprised Curry came back.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I thought the 2nd half was important for Mason. He was not finishing plays and not getting the ball a whole lot. But he was hitting his free throws and continued to work. This was the sort of game that showed his maturity. He did not disappear but kept doing his job setting screens and playing good defense. Finally, he hits a few big free throws and has a key bucket down the stretch. That's got to feel good for him, to break out of a little slump after grinding out an up-an-down, guard-oriented game that was not in his wheelhouse. Good for him.
    He got the ball enough to get to the free throw line for 9 attempts. I thought Mason got plenty of touches in this one, he looked to be one of the main focal points. But once again he strangely had problems finishing plays. Even when he has the ball underneath with the defender on his hip he takes forever to get the ball up to the rim. Something must be going on with him mentally right now.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think Coach K has decided Andre is either on or off. He's either into the game, playing hard and making shots or his not crisp and mistake prone. You can usually tell if he's got it or not and his minutes are earned accordingly.
    This makes some sense. I gather he had one very brief stretch in the second half that I missed that got him pulled again. That being said, this seems like a vicious circle to me. Earlier in the season, it seemed like Andre had a little more leeway--a slip or two, or a missed shot that wasn't a mistake to take, wouldn't automatically get him pulled, and he would usually settle down and make some contributions. If you know that any error will get you pulled, couldn't that make you so anxious that errors are almost inevitable?

I feel like the team will probably need some good games from Andre down the stretch. If he feels the coaches have no confidence in him, thus has no confidence in himself, what are the chances he will be able to come through?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Congrats on an undefeated ACC road season! I've come to expect games like this, so whatever.
    Agree. Amazing that we go 8-0 on the road. The offense actually seemed fluid for long stretches. The D is up to 54 on KenPom. Bring on the Holes!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Our big guys got excellent looks underneath but once again, Mason specifically, had trouble finishing around the basket. This again creates the illusion that we rely on the perimeter too heavily. It almost looks like Mason's hurt because it doesn't even appear to be getting any lift. Whatever it is, it needs to be gone by Saturday.
    Jipops, would you mind elaborating a bit here? I could not watch the game (don't get ESPNU) but from the box score it looks like Miles and Mason only attempted 7 shots combined. Were some of Mason's attempts discounted because he was fouled in the act of shooting?

While trying not to harp too much after a win, I will say that I really hope we're not abandoning the balanced inside-outside approach we took earlier in the year. We beat some very good teams early in the season this way, and it seems like a game against Wake would have been a perfect opportunity to get our bigs a tuneup before facing a much better frontline on Saturday. Again though, I could be totally off on our actual strategy, since all I could do was follow gametracker and read the box score.

We have GOT to tighten things up down the stretch

Congrats to the team on the undefeated ACC road slate this year. That is a great accomplishment.

Now, we have GOT to tighten things up down the stretch in these games and absolutely put the nail in the coffin. You keep letting "left-for-dead," lesser opponents get back into it and sooner or later it is going to bite you in the arse. So frustrating.

Very solid outing by Seth (I like the maturity/leadership he's developed this season), Miles (steady, if unspectacular, as always) and Kelly (though his defense was weak, and the immediate 3-pt-shot upon Duke getting the offensive rebound with 1:30 remaining was not smart at all).

Give Wake some credit for fighting back in the last 9 minutes. They made some great plays, difficult shots, and actually played some decent D. But, GEEEZ, that should not happen in late-Feb to an experienced top-4 team versus an also-ran conference opponent. I do expect K to get after 'em in practice the next few days. That sort of effort/performance won't get 'er done vs NC@ch on Saturday.

BTW, agree with the posters puzzled by MP2's recent apparent drop in assertiveness. Not sure what is going on, but certainly wouldn't have predicted two months ago that MP1 would be the dominant frontline player for Duke entering March... He (MP2) certainly has the physical tools to be hugely more impactful by now.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-28-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Greybeard?

Wonder what greybeard would have to say about Mason's tension/core tightness issues, or whatever complicated mechanisms he was explaining re: Miles. It seems Mason has recently inherited this tendency to tense every muscle in his body and rock his weight back on his heels whenever he prepares to go up around the basket, which has seemed to really limit his fluidity and explosiveness recently. Maybe Mason can awaken a little bit of his freshman year self, who would just try to dunk everything, without a care in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    He got the ball enough to get to the free throw line for 9 attempts. I thought Mason got plenty of touches in this one, he looked to be one of the main focal points. But once again he strangely had problems finishing plays. Even when he has the ball underneath with the defender on his hip he takes forever to get the ball up to the rim. Something must be going on with him mentally right now.
    Slightly different take. I just think that Mason isn't that physically strong, at least compared to the guys guarding him. I think it takes him forever, as you rightly say, to get the ball up, because he needs to gather himself to fight through the defense. I was impressed with Mason's FT shooting - and his resilience even though he didn't make shots. Mason is very fast and agile for a big guy - I just don't think he's very strong.

Then our guys fell asleep. I actually thought I saw a couple of them wearing jammies on court.
    Yeah, pretty sloppy stretch there for a while. The fellas snapped out of it in time to make plays (a number of them, in fact)
    and close out the game. 8-0 on the road with this team is pretty good. Nice to see a big RK game; been a little while since
    we've seen one of those. We'll take it. On to Carolina!

Wonder what greybeard would have to say about Mason's tension/core tightness issues, or whatever complicated mechanisms he was explaining re: Miles. It seems Mason has recently inherited this tendency to tense every muscle in his body and rock his weight back on his heels whenever he prepares to go up around the basket, which has seemed to really limit his fluidity and explosiveness recently. Maybe Mason can awaken a little bit of his freshman year self, who would just try to dunk everything, without a care in the world...
    My guess is that he's collecting himself to absorb the contact. and thinking too far ahead about the ensuing free throws.

Personally I'd love to see him and Miles attack the rim with such ferocity to deliver a compound fracture to the arm of any defender in the way. I might even consider it successful if it resulted in 5 straight offensive fouls.

I think we need to lower Mason's pelvis and remove the track around it.

Wait...wrong guy.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, this explanation would be more convincing if Andre had actually taken any shots in the second half. But since he didn't (at least according to the ESPN play by play), it's not actually possible that he did all three of these things in the same stint on the court in the 2nd half.
    Ok. So he did 2 of the 3. Shame on me for being wrong

He did or didn't do enough that Coach K didn't feel he deserved the playing time over guys who were doing more with their time.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    This makes some sense. I gather he had one very brief stretch in the second half that I missed that got him pulled again. That being said, this seems like a vicious circle to me. Earlier in the season, it seemed like Andre had a little more leeway--a slip or two, or a missed shot that wasn't a mistake to take, wouldn't automatically get him pulled, and he would usually settle down and make some contributions. If you know that any error will get you pulled, couldn't that make you so anxious that errors are almost inevitable?

I feel like the team will probably need some good games from Andre down the stretch. If he feels the coaches have no confidence in him, thus has no confidence in himself, what are the chances he will be able to come through?
    After lighting up FSU in the first half, Dawkins got very little playing time down the stretch in the second half, then got a total of 21 minutes of playing time in the next two games. I don't know whether Dawkins thinks the coaches have no confidence in him, but if he does, I can see why.

No, Dawkins didn't look particularly good today. (He wasn't alone in that -- Thornton, for example, was on court for much of the second-half meltdown, one highlight of which was Tyler dribbling the ball off his own foot, out of bounds, to help prolong Wake's run. He remained on the court.) Dawkins did have some poor defensive play -- and he also played very good defense on at least a couple of possessions, one of which unfortunately ended with his man hitting a very tough contested fallaway jumper as the shot clock ran down. And no, he didn't shoot poorly; he made 1 of 3 three-pointers, which is the number you'd expect him to make given three attempts.

Most of all, though, he just didn't play enough to assess his performance. I reject the idea -- popular among announcers, fans, and, I suspect, Duke coaches -- that you can tell in his first 180 seconds of court time whether Dawkins is going to play well or poorly going forward. Players are not robots. They do not perform perfectly consistently. A few minutes do not tell us with any real certainty how they are likely to perform over the next 25 -- particularly if they are not primary ball-handlers and thus have relatively little control over what happens in those few minutes.

I know, I know: With Andre, it's different. You can just tell whether he showed up that day based on his first couple of minutes. Like against Michigan State. Ah, but in the first 2.5 minutes of the Michigan State game, Dawkins missed a three and a layup. Two minutes later, he turned the ball over. Eight minutes into the game, he was 2-5 shooting with a turnover. That's the kind of start that leads a lot of people to conclude "he doesn't have it today; he doesn't deserve PT." He finished with 26 points on 15 shots. Against Clemson, Dawkins missed his first three shots. He just didn't have it that day; better bench him -- except that he then hit 7 of his next 9 shots to finish with 24 points on 12 shots. In the first three minutes of the first Wake game, Dawkins had a turnover and was 0-1 shooting. Ten minutes in, he was 1-3 with a turnover. His head clearly wasn't in the game; better sit him until he becomes more consistent. Oh, wait -- he finished the game with 21 points on 13 shots.