Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Oh Crap "ITS ON!!" That is maybe the most lame thing I've ever heard from someone thats supposed to have a way with word. Bill Simmons sucks. So do all these writers who can't write their way out of a paper bag and claim to be "journalists".

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    BTW, I'd never read grantland, but the links were funny. So somebody said something about Duke hating, but the same guy praises Duke to the stars. Surely we can't expect everyone to be Dick Vitale--and even he praises--gasp--other teams. And I am completely confident (which is a rarity) that he spent less time thinking up and writing down some of his sentences than we've spent parsing his meanings and worth as a human being. And frankly, if I were Duke administration, I'd give him an extra seat since he is GOOD for us--far better than yet another suit saying routine things.
    But we don't like the ways he praises and otherwise characterizes Duke. He makes generalizations about the student body that He used "Plumdog Millionaire" the first few articles he wrote for Grantland, a carry-over from the Seth Curry Saves Duke blog, but I never saw the cleverness there. He fully bought into the "Austin Rivers doesn't play well with teammates" thing in the Blue-White game when anything but the case is true. He called the Big East the best conference in the country when his evidence for this is the massive mediocrity of the middle of their league. He started one of his articles commenting on how bad his headline was, and then compared it to a basketball team.

He can be clever, but he's certainly too playful for my taste. And he's willing to take any angle he can, even when he may not even believe it. He's capable of good articles (Duke@UNC), but I've disliked most of what I've seen. In that way, he's like Miami.

Simmons on the other hand? More like UNC. Doesn't focus on the fundamentals (i.e. journalism), but has the presence based on a time-tested style and succeeds based on on the style he presents and the people he attracts.

Somehow, I keep getting sucked into reading this thread because I see new posts as if some new revelation has been discovered. I could go on with some well thought out paragraph about how this hurts us, or how it doesn't really matter. But what comes to mind the most is two words...WHO CARES?

Bill Simmons has hated the Yankees for years, do you think the Yankees staff or their fans for that matter are sitting around worrying about what Bill Simmons thinks? I doubt it.

There are more importing things to worry about such as channeling all your energy to 9pm tonight to send UNC-CH to hell.

Moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    There are more importing things to worry about such as channeling all your energy to 9pm tonight to send UNC-CH to hell.

Moving on.
    Totally agree with everything you said. However, more importantly, in case you did not find out beforehand, UNC's one way trip to hell is at 7 pm this evening. That is one flight you do not want to be late for!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    The game is at 7 pm.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The game is at 7 pm.
    Wow. Can you IMAGINE... you sit down to watch at 9 and turn on the TV to hear "What a CLASSIC Duke UNC game! Another for the games!"

Wow. Bob, that is your good deed for the day.

Who's Bill Simmons? Never heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Totally agree with everything you said. However, more importantly, in case you did not find out beforehand, UNC's one way trip to hell is at 7 pm this evening. That is one flight you do not want to be late for!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The game is at 7 pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Wow. Can you IMAGINE... you sit down to watch at 9 and turn on the TV to hear "What a CLASSIC Duke UNC game! Another for the games!"

Wow. Bob, that is your good deed for the day.
    Holy Crap! Thanks guys. How could in the world could I have had THIS game time wrong of all games?! Oh well, the good news is it's now two hours closer to game time in my world. The bad part is I still have a ton of work to get done in order to start my pre-game festivities....Thanks again.