Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Football schedule finally released

2012 Duke Football Schedule (2011 Record; Bowl game)

SEPTEMBER

1 – FIU (8-5; Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl)
    8 – at Stanford (11-2; Tostitos Fiesta Bowl)
    15 – N.C. CENTRAL (2-9)
    22 – MEMPHIS (2-10)
    29 – at Wake Forest (6-7; Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl)

OCTOBER

6 – VIRGINIA (8-5; Chick-fil-A Bow)
    13 – at Virginia Tech (11-3; Allstate Sugar Bowl)
    20 – NORTH CAROLINA (7-6; AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl)
    27 – at Florida State (9-4; Champs Sports Bowl)

NOVEMBER

3 – CLEMSON (10-4; Discover Orange Bowl)
    10 – Open
    17 – at Georgia Tech (8-5; Hyundai Sun Bowl)
    24 – MIAMI (6-6)

Note that unc is happily in October, not during the Thanksgiving day weekend. In fact, I think that date may be Duke's homecoming weekend.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    2012 Duke Football Schedule (2011 Record; Bowl game)

SEPTEMBER

1 – FIU (8-5; Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl)
    8 – at Stanford (11-2; Tostitos Fiesta Bowl)
    15 – N.C. CENTRAL (2-9)
    22 – MEMPHIS (2-10)
    29 – at Wake Forest (6-7; Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl)

OCTOBER

6 – VIRGINIA (8-5; Chick-fil-A Bow)
    13 – at Virginia Tech (11-3; Allstate Sugar Bowl)
    20 – NORTH CAROLINA (7-6; AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl)
    27 – at Florida State (9-4; Champs Sports Bowl)

NOVEMBER

3 – CLEMSON (10-4; Discover Orange Bowl)
    10 – Open
    17 – at Georgia Tech (8-5; Hyundai Sun Bowl)
    24 – MIAMI (6-6)

Note that unc is happily in October, not during the Thanksgiving day weekend. In fact, I think that date may be Duke's homecoming weekend.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    In recent years, Homecoming was moved up into September about the time we're scheduled to play Memphis this year. It will be interesting to see which game is designated in 2012.

The last 3 games are brutal but the 3 out of conference games are not that tought at all

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    In recent years, Homecoming was moved up into September about the time we're scheduled to play Memphis this year. It will be interesting to see which game is designated in 2012.
    I'd love it if it were for the unc game. There should be students there for the first time in eons due since they won't be at home eating turkey, and hopefully we'll have a record that will make them want to come watch the game. To have a large number of alumni in town for it would make it that much more exciting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Does NC Central count towards Bowl eligibility?

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    As long as we win, yes. They (or the other FCS team) would not apply if we played 2 FCS opponents. Only one counts. We would have had this problem the first time we played NCCU but we blew it and lost to Richmond. That year NCCU was the second FCS team on our schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As long as we win, yes. They (or the other FCS team) would not apply if we played 2 FCS opponents. Only one counts. We would have had this problem the first time we played NCCU but we blew it and lost to Richmond. That year NCCU was the second FCS team on our schedule.
    I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have mattered if we had beaten Richmond anyway. I seem to remember something about NCCU not counting because they were still transitioning to DI from DII and as such couldn't count at all for an FBS team towards bowl eligibility. Either way, they are a full DI member now and will certainly count if we win.

As for the rest of the schedule, Duke has a brutal ending. If they don't get to 6 by the time UNC leaves Wally Wade, there might not be much of a chance to get there.
    Pratt '09
    GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Yes.

OMG. Why in the world do we play carolina in October? On that weekend? I'm going to miss the game. I'm not a happy camper, but I'll be out of town that weekend. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Memphis will be the homecoming game.

I'm looking forward to football season and continued improvement in the team. It is time to start thinking about enjoyable Saturday afternoons/evenings.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    Memphis will be the homecoming game.
    probably because they know people will come out for carolina, so there's no reason to "waste" the homecoming attendance boost on a game people will go to anyway
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    probably because they know people will come out for carolina, so there's no reason to "waste" the homecoming attendance boost on a game people will go to anyway
    Also saw that Duke will play 8 teams who qualified for bowls last season, leading the league by 3 games in that category. IMO, getting to 5 wins will be a pretty impressive accomplishment against that slate of teams. I see nobody in conference that I would pick us to beat on paper, with the possible exception of finally managing to eke one out against Wake.

Playing @ FSU, @ VT, Clemson home, and Miami home is about as brutal as it gets in the ACC.
    "There can BE only one."

Playing @ FSU, @ VT, Clemson home, and Miami home is about as brutal as it gets in the ACC.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Hard to see how to get to six with this schedule. Toughest in-conference schedule of anyone in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post

My thoughts exactly. Hard to see how to get to six with this schedule. Toughest in-conference schedule of anyone in the conference.
    how is it that this always seems to happen???
    1200. DDMF.

how is it that this always seems to happen???
    One problem is when you're never one of the good teams, you never enjoy the benefit of not having to play yourself.

The shoe's on the other foot in the basketball world. I'm sure other teams' basketball fans complain when they have to play road games at both Duke *and* unc, for example. We never have this problem in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    One problem is when you're never one of the good teams, you never enjoy the benefit of not having to play yourself.

The shoe's on the other foot in the basketball world. I'm sure other teams' basketball fans complain when they have to play road games at both Duke *and* unc, for example. We never have this problem in basketball.
    That's part of it, and the other part is that one of the divisions is significantly better than the other...imagine if we could play NCSU, BC, maryland and virginia every year....and with "juggernauts" pitt and cuse, the disparity won't be getting any better
    1200. DDMF.

It is a word that has been used several times but Brutal. 10 out of your 12 games are against teams that were bowl eligible, though Duke did beat FIU and Miami opted to self impose a bowl ban and not go.

Still every ACC game is against a bowl eligible team from the previous year. Maybe it has happened before but I can't imagine it has happened many times. Yikes. Just got to keep getting better and play them one game at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    It is a word that has been used several times but Brutal. 10 out of your 12 games are against teams that were bowl eligible, though Duke did beat FIU and Miami opted to self impose a bowl ban and not go.

Still every ACC game is against a bowl eligible team from the previous year. Maybe it has happened before but I can't imagine it has happened many times. Yikes. Just got to keep getting better and play them one game at a time.
    Lets remember that andrew luck is no longer at stanford....i don't know much about their program, but I was under the impression that the team was average outside him
    1200. DDMF.

Lets remember that andrew luck is no longer at stanford....i don't know much about their program, but I was under the impression that the team was average outside him
    I think they will still be good, but I think the game should be closer. Heck Duke had a real shot of leading at half time with Luck on the field. So who knows.

But wouldn't it be Duke Football's luck if they were to get to a bowl that occurrs after 12/21/12 and the Mayans were right?