Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recruiting change -- unlimited calls AND texts?

This seems ridiculous on so many levels. But I was surprised neither DBR nor the article linked on the front page reference the nightmare this could create for some kids and their parents in terms monthly bills. If kids don't have unlimited texting plans, this could cost a fortune to receive texts all day everyday. Or at least cost families more by having to buy up to more expensive cell phone plans. I think the whole thing is disgusting - unless i am missing some details. Nice move NCAA. Way to care about the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    This seems ridiculous on so many levels. But I was surprised neither DBR nor the article linked on the front page reference the nightmare this could create for some kids and their parents in terms monthly bills. If kids don't have unlimited texting plans, this could cost a fortune to receive texts all day everyday. Or at least cost families more by having to buy up to more expensive cell phone plans. I think the whole thing is disgusting - unless i am missing some details. Nice move NCAA. Way to care about the kids.
    The philosophy if the NCAA is simple:

If something has the potential to enhance revenue it is good. If something has the potential to decrease revenue it is bad. These kids you speak of? They never enter into the equation. I have no idea how this new move will enhance revenue for the NCAA, but the leadership of the NCAA must think it will or this move would never have happened.

What Should the Kids Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    The NCAA is putting the onus on the players and their families to create order out of the resulting chaos from unlimited phoning and texting. I can't blame the NCAA. Who the heck wants to have high-paid professionals in enforcement tracking phone calls and texts?

What tactics would you advise your kid to use?

1. Change phone numbers once a month? Surely being parsimonious in giving out your number will only work in the short run.
    2. Rope-a-dope? Don't respond unless you are really interested in the school.
    3. Shane Battier approach? Establish one time a week for each of eight coaches to call. When one calls outside of hours (Pitino), drop his school (Kentucky) from the list. Wowza!!
    4. Throw your phone in the river? What do you need friends for anyway?
    5. Let your posse field your calls? Inflict pain.
    6. Sign early? Maybe when you're 14?
    7. Emigrate?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The NCAA is putting the onus on the players and their families to create order out of the resulting chaos from unlimited phoning and texting. I can't blame the NCAA. Who the heck wants to have high-paid professionals in enforcement tracking phone calls and texts?

What tactics would you advise your kid to use?

1. Change phone numbers once a month? Surely being parsimonious in giving out your number will only work in the short run.
    2. Rope-a-dope? Don't respond unless you are really interested in the school.
    3. Shane Battier approach? Establish one time a week for each of eight coaches to call. When one calls outside of hours (Pitino), drop his school (Kentucky) from the list. Wowza!!
    4. Throw your phone in the river? What do you need friends for anyway?
    5. Let your posse field your calls? Inflict pain.
    6. Sign early? Maybe when you're 14?
    7. Emigrate?

sagegrouse
    You can turn off texting, have the phone recognize the coaches' phone numbers, and only pick up when you're not busy.

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    You can turn off texting, have the phone recognize the coaches' phone numbers, and only pick up when you're not busy.
    Excellent points. I was wondering whether teenagers could live without texting.

WRT screening the numbers, coaches can use all sorts of numbers of origin, as well as not reveal the number. What might work best is to only answer calls from people you want to talk to. Could be socially limiting?

sage

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

WRT screening the numbers, coaches can use all sorts of numbers of origin, as well as not reveal the number. What might work best is to only answer calls from people you want to talk to. Could be socially limiting?

sage
    I realize these kids WANT the attention because they want those scholarships, but I would hope that the kids recognize the sliminess of a person who repeatedly contacts them by changing his number, particularly somebody who is interested in spending more time around the kid in the future. Perhaps this is my naivite, having never been recruited to play sports.

Overall, I think it is a good change, as the old rule just made a lot more criminals to catch but failed to stop any real wrongdoing. I believe in short order the balance will be achieved.

After commenting on how mystifyingly dumb teen boys can be, it occurs to me that college coaches will now have to hire teen girls as their txt assistants.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    There is a great marketing campaign just waiting for some coach to become a new spokesperson for one of the cell phone companies.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I find this rule change to be nearly disgusting. Why should any prospect or family be subjected to unlimited phone and text contact? The rule change is almost abusive to prospects. If I had a family member in this position, I would urge and encourage a strict Battier type personal policy. If I received multiple texts and phone calls from any school, I would eliminate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I find this rule change to be nearly disgusting. Why should any prospect or family be subjected to unlimited phone and text contact? The rule change is almost abusive to prospects. If I had a family member in this position, I would urge and encourage a strict Battier type personal policy. If I received multiple texts and phone calls from any school, I would eliminate them.
    People with cells phones can be abused by unlimited phone and text contacts from anyone right now. The rule change simply treats coaches like the rest of the population. How the coaches use the freedom and how recruits tolerate the contacts is a completely separate issue.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm guessing that some coaches may learn that the hard way. "Well I didn't choose so and so because he bugged the hell out of me. I don't want to play for a stalker, he creeped me out."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    People with cells phones can be abused by unlimited phone and text contacts from anyone right now. The rule change simply treats coaches like the rest of the population. How the coaches use the freedom and how recruits tolerate the contacts is a completely separate issue.
    "Anyone" doesn't have an incentive to abuse anyone by an unreasonable level of contact. The NCAA has changed the rules to permit a level of contact that can easily be abused by persons with a self interest served by the abuse. I see an entirely different circumstance from the general public abuse potential.

"Anyone" doesn't have an incentive to abuse anyone by an unreasonable level of contact. The NCAA has changed the rules to permit a level of contact that can easily be abused by persons with a self interest served by the abuse. I see an entirely different circumstance from the general public abuse potential.
    I disagree that "anyone doesn't have an incentive to abuse anyone by an unreasonable level of contact." There are examples in the news everyday about non-recruits being harassed via phone calls or stalking.

The rule change simply increases the freedoms for the coaches. With that freedom comes additional responsibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Overall, I think it is a good change, as the old rule just made a lot more criminals to catch but failed to stop any real wrongdoing. I believe in short order the balance will be achieved.
    I think it's good too. I don't know how much time the NCAA wasted by counting text messages or adding up cell phone minutes or tracking down where phone numbers originated...but IMO those resources would be much better applied in catching academic fraud (UNC football, Calipari/Bledsoe), standardized testing fraud (Calipari/Rose), payments to players (Cam Newton, Calipari/Camby, Calipari/Davis), agent influence (UNC football), etc. Especially when a private facebook message could circumvent the restrictions and go completely undetected. I don't really care how many times Kelvin Sampson sends a text message to a borderline 4-star recruit, so if everyone has unlimited access, then there's no unfair advantage to the extra contact.

With the rule change, if a kid wants a ton of attention now, let everyone shower it upon him. If it gets to be too much and he wants to limit the coaches' phone calls to once per week, then so be it. We don't need to be policing that sort of thing while there are bigger issues to deal with.

Tell that to the MN number that calls me twice daily about my model year: 2000 car warranty ending. Or the WA number that tells me I've been approved for a new credit card every Monday morning.

This can happen to anyone. And I think people are blowing this a little out of proportion. Any coach who starts obnoxiously hassling a recruit via phone is not looking out for his [school's] own best interest. Do you really think any level-headed coach would continually hassle a kid via phone (please, no remarks at Ol' Roy or any other coach not being level-headed)? Especially, if the recruit has said he has no interest or has stipulated how he wants to be contacted?

There don't have to be these grandiose plans of deception by coaches changing numbers frequently and secretly, or obsessively calling at all hours of the day. Coaches want and need to make a connection with a recruit. Not turn them off or irritate them.

Besides, if this really started to get abused, I could see an NCAA recruiting hotline being created where recruits could report abusive phone contact by coaches (easily traceable by phone records) and coaches simply get penalized. But I highly doubt that would need to happen.

I think this was a smart move by the NCAA.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Tell that to the MN number that calls me twice daily about my model year: 2000 car warranty ending. Or the WA number that tells me I've been approved for a new credit card every Monday morning.

This can happen to anyone. And I think people are blowing this a little out of proportion. Any coach who starts obnoxiously hassling a recruit via phone is not looking out for his [school's] own best interest. Do you really think any level-headed coach would continually hassle a kid via phone (please, no remarks at Ol' Roy or any other coach not being level-headed)? Especially, if the recruit has said he has no interest or has stipulated how he wants to be contacted?

There don't have to be these grandiose plans of deception by coaches changing numbers frequently and secretly, or obsessively calling at all hours of the day. Coaches want and need to make a connection with a recruit. Not turn them off or irritate them.

Besides, if this really started to get abused, I could see an NCAA recruiting hotline being created where recruits could report abusive phone contact by coaches (easily traceable by phone records) and coaches simply get penalized. But I highly doubt that would need to happen.

I think this was a smart move by the NCAA.

- Chillin
    Put yourself on the Do Not Call list and report them if they call. You have options on unsolicited calls.

Isn't it usually free to receive texts? I have a dumb phone with a basic plan that charges for outgoing texts but not incoming. I get spam texts every few days but they don't cost me.

Mine can't...

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    After commenting on how mystifyingly dumb teen boys can be, it occurs to me that college coaches will now have to hire teen girls as their txt assistants.
    ...so sign her up!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Isn't it usually free to receive texts? I have a dumb phone with a basic plan that charges for outgoing texts but not incoming. I get spam texts every few days but they don't cost me.
    I don't know about usually, but I pay Verizon for every text sent or received.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    According to my stepdaughter and her friends, coaches better be ready for some heartache - teenage boys NEVER text when they say they will!

Of course, I have trouble understanding the outrage when someone chooses not to reply to such a poignant invitation to converse via text as: "Hey"