Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Lets remember that andrew luck is no longer at stanford....i don't know much about their program, but I was under the impression that the team was average outside him
    I think they will still be good, but I think the game should be closer. Heck Duke had a real shot of leading at half time with Luck on the field. So who knows.

But wouldn't it be Duke Football's luck if they were to get to a bowl that occurrs after 12/21/12 and the Mayans were right?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Lets remember that andrew luck is no longer at stanford....i don't know much about their program, but I was under the impression that the team was average outside him
    Stanford lost a lot this year on top of Luck (they have 4 potential first rounders (Luck, DeCastro, Martin and Fleener, plus Owusu is killing it at the combine). But they have recruited really well for their style of play. There will be drop off, and they are beatable if Duke continues to improve. But they are still way more talented than Duke, and Duke has to go to the West Coast for the first time I can remember. Seriously, when was the last time Duke played a game in California?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Seriously, when was the last time Duke played a game in California?
    Duke played at Southern California on 9/12/75. The Trojans won 35-7.
    Bob Green

Regardless of the schedule, with Sean Renfree as our senior QB, this is probably our best chance in a LONG time to go bowling. If we don't make it this year . . . well patience is a virtue.

I don't think Duke has ever won a football game on the west coast. Would be a good year to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Regardless of the schedule, with Sean Renfree as our senior QB, this is probably our best chance in a LONG time to go bowling. If we don't make it this year . . . well patience is a virtue.
    well...that's what we said last year, but unfortunately our offensive coordinator still has NCAA eligibility and will still call passes in the flat on 75% of downs
    1200. DDMF.

If we're gonna get out of the basement, gonna have to beat some good teams.

Practice hard, bring 'em on.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I don't think Duke has ever won a football game on the west coast. Would be a good year to change that.
    Duke won 9-3 at Stanford on 10/2/71.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke won 9-3 at Stanford on 10/2/71.
    And a wonderful, glorious win it was. Defensive back Ernie Jackson ran back an interception for the only TD of the game. Jackson was ACC POY in '71.

At least Richmond is off the slate.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

No More November Swoon?

It looks to me like we have addressed our problems winning in November by reducing the number of games down to three.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Duke played at Southern California on 9/12/75. The Trojans won 35-7.
    Ricky Bell's debut as a starting RB. The two-time near Heisman winner came out of nowhere, but he was a load and broke Duke's back that night.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    My predictions.

Stanford would be a long shot, but looking at the schedule I could see us with 4 wins going into October, which would be a pretty nice number.

FIU -- we beat them in Miami last year, I think we will do it again at home this year. (win)
    Stanford -- We'll need luck even though they don't have Luck. (loss)
    NCCU -- Just hope we don't overlook them and get sloppy. We should beat them soundly. (win)
    Memphis -- I don't know much about them other than according to their record they sucked last year. (win)
    Wake -- Lord it's about time we beat them. We do it this year, and carry a 3 game win streak into October. (win)

UVA -- They are a tough team, well coached, and getting better with more talent from solid recruiting. (toss-up leaning to win)
    VT -- The last time we played them in Blacksburg we got shellacked. But we've played them well before. (loss)
    unc -- Depending on how we did against UVA, this game could be for our 6th win. And like Wake, it's time. (win)
    FSU -- In Tallahassee? Eeek. (loss)

Clemson -- Hopefully we get exciting with our offense because they are going to put points up. (loss)
    GT -- In Bobby Dodd stadium, eek. (loss)
    Miami -- at home, last game of season, we finally pick up our first win in November in a long, long time. (win)

Final record -- 7-5 (well 8-5 because we are going to win our bowl game)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

bowl chances

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My predictions.

Stanford would be a long shot, but looking at the schedule I could see us with 4 wins going into October, which would be a pretty nice number.

FIU -- we beat them in Miami last year, I think we will do it again at home this year. (win)
    Stanford -- We'll need luck even though they don't have Luck. (loss)
    NCCU -- Just hope we don't overlook them and get sloppy. We should beat them soundly. (win)
    Memphis -- I don't know much about them other than according to their record they sucked last year. (win)
    Wake -- Lord it's about time we beat them. We do it this year, and carry a 3 game win streak into October. (win)

UVA -- They are a tough team, well coached, and getting better with more talent from solid recruiting. (toss-up leaning to win)
    VT -- The last time we played them in Blacksburg we got shellacked. But we've played them well before. (loss)
    unc -- Depending on how we did against UVA, this game could be for our 6th win. And like Wake, it's time. (win)
    FSU -- In Tallahassee? Eeek. (loss)

Clemson -- Hopefully we get exciting with our offense because they are going to put points up. (loss)
    GT -- In Bobby Dodd stadium, eek. (loss)
    Miami -- at home, last game of season, we finally pick up our first win in November in a long, long time. (win)

Final record -- 7-5 (well 8-5 because we are going to win our bowl game)
    I love your optimism and while you are projecting the season with very optimistic glasses, I don't totally disagree with your vision.

I think it is clear that once again, our fate will be determined early. Our five most winnable games are among our first six games.

When it comes to NCCU, Memphis and FIU, WE SIMPLY CANNOT AFFORD TO STUMBLE (as we did with Richmond last year or Army the year before). Those three games have to be the core of our bid to get to six (or more) wins.

At the end of September, we should be 3-1 going to Wake Forest. That matchup has been a nightmare for us -- not because they dominate us, but because they tantatize us. The last three trips to Winston are not just games Duke could have won, they are games Duke SHOULD have won. Finally breaking the Wake jinx is the necessary ingredient to getting over the hump.

That would make Duke 4-1 with Virginia coming in to open October. In contrast to Wake, Virginia is a team that Duke has had good success against -- 3-1 under Cut and the one loss last year was with a crippled team that still nearly pulled it off. I agree that the Cavs are getting better, but this is a game Duke can and must win.

After that, it gets a lot tougher. Unfortunately, Duke doesn't get Boston College or Maryland -- the two weakest teams in the conference. We'll have to see how much the NCAA hammer hurts UNC and Miami. I agree that Stanford, Va Tech and FSU are all very tough propositions.

But I'm confident that if we can get to 5-1, that we'll come up with at least one more win to go to a bowl. If Duke is 4-2 after six, it's going to be tough, although not impossible. I think if Duke is 3-3, it's impossible.

There is not a huge margin or error. But the chance is there, if this team gets off to a good start.

Hey look, no Richmond on the schedule! Who else is breathing a sigh of relief?

(And yes, this is a hard schedule. Who cares. Gotta make it this year)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    SI released a "post-spring" top 25, and the number of teams that we are playing on their list is scary.
    Here's the teams that are on that pre-season top 25.
    Stanford (14)
    Clemson (16)
    FSU (17)
    Virginia Tech (19)
    Georgia Tech (25)
    Eek. That's crazy.
    Sport's Illustrated post-spring top 25 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=cnnbin
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

For those interested I was intereviewed by All Sports Discussioin.com as part of their series asking bloggers of the ACC Football programs on their thoughts on the spring game.

Here is the link to the interview if you'd be interested in reading it. Link

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    SI released a "post-spring" top 25, and the number of teams that we are playing on their list is scary.
    Here's the teams that are on that pre-season top 25.
    Stanford (14)
    Clemson (16)
    FSU (17)
    Virginia Tech (19)
    Georgia Tech (25)
    Eek. That's crazy.
    Sport's Illustrated post-spring top 25 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=cnnbin
    We have been looking up the ladder for several decades of Duke FB scheduling but this year's opponents appear especially daunting.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

We've beaten 4 ranked teams in the last 25 years:

1989: #7 Clemson, #22 NCSU
    1993: #22 NCSU
    1994: #13 UVa

In 1992 we played 5 ranked teams.

In 2009 we played 4 ranked teams (6, 7, 21, 22).

You can page through the yearly schedules to see who was ranked what when we played them:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/...-schedule.html

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    We've beaten 4 ranked teams in the last 25 years:

1989: #7 Clemson, #22 NCSU
    1993: #22 NCSU
    1994: #13 UVa
    So the question that jumps to my mind is, since beating #13 Virginia on Nov. 5, 1994, how many consecutive games has Duke lost to teams ranked in the Top 25? Per the link provided, the answer is 44. It sure would be nice to stop that streak in 2012.
    Bob Green