Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Puerto Rico, the board game

I just bought the board game Puerto Rico for an upcoming trip to the beach and was wondering what other people think about it. I read through the directions last night but definately feel the need to read through them again. There is alot going on! I also have the Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne. For those who have played them, how does Puerto Rico compare to those two games?

You should definitely take a look at PR's entry on the 'Geek.

Puerto Rico is my wife's favorite game (out of about 100 that we have), probably because the competition is very indirect while still providing for some interaction. There is a lot more going on in PR than in Catan or Carc, in terms of available options at any given moment, but you'll find that there are optimal moves to be made in a lot of situations.

PR's popularity and high ranking on the geek are the subject of a lot of controversy, and there are plenty of articles to read on that. Most of the arguments center around those who think that the game has big problems because the person who sits to the left of the new player invariable wins (due to the new player not understanding that you don't do what's best for you on your turn, you do what's RELATIVELY best for you, given what you expect the remaining players in the turn to do).

Still, it is an excellent game, and I never turn down a chance to play (even though there are a lot of games that I would prefer). Do make sure you always play with at least three, however, as none of the two player varients really works well.

Take care to read the rules a few times before you play, though even then you should expect to get a few things wrong that you start to correct with subsequent plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    Puerto Rico is my wife's favorite game (out of about 100 that we have), probably because the competition is very indirect while still providing for some interaction. There is a lot more going on in PR than in Catan or Carc, in terms of available options at any given moment, but you'll find that there are optimal moves to be made in a lot of situations.
    The family likes Settlers of Catan alot but there invariably seems to be arguements about fair trading practices, i.e. my wife is not as competetive as the rest of the family and likes to help people (not a good gaming trait) So, i had read alot on Geeks about PR and thought I'd give it a shot. Now I'm worried about my parents not being able to pick up the game and keep up with the younger folk.

(out of about 100 that we have),
    What is your current favorite?

Tough call. I recently picked up both Railroad Tycoon and Age of Empires III: The Boardgame, and think they are both awesome. The edge goes to Railroad Tycoon for recent favorites.

My long-standing favorite is Tigris & Euphrates, and I really enjoy just about everything by Renier Knizia.

For deep strategy with a bunch of people, Twilight Imperium, Third Edition with the Shattered Empire expansion is about as good as it gets, although I've been waiting to play my copy of the Game of Thrones (with expansions).

Among lighter, quick games, TTR is always popular, but I also really dig Blue Moon.

Oh wait, you wanted me to pick just one?

Age of Empires

Tough call. I recently picked up both Railroad Tycoon and Age of Empires III: The Boardgame, and think they are both awesome. The edge goes to Railroad Tycoon for recent favorites.
    Age of Empires caught my attention as I have the video game. I was reading the forums on Geek and there was a good discussion with the deleveloper of the board game, Glenn Drover, on why he made the decisions that he did for the game. I'm really into strategy video games and consider them to be the best bang for the buck that you can get with your entertainment dollar. Video games have transcended their stereotypes and are deep with depth and rich in production values. Anyway it was neat to follow the development of the board game from a developer on the video game side.

Puerto Rico is at the top of the list in our gaming circles. I suspect the absence of any hardcore cutthroat play is what makes it appeal to the women in our group.

That said, when playing with the other couples, no one really dares play TOO aggressively. Jumping on someone city in Carcasonne is fine, but trying to take it outright after they've spent the whole game building it is considered taboo.

I like the fact that Puerto Rico gives you a choice among the various strategies to take without your moves being determined by what cards you are dealt. I generally tend to win with either an early wharf and strong production, or lots of quarries and a strong economy resulting in expensive buildings. Others try to vary their production, which is a safe move, but not always a winning one (I don't usually produce more than two goods until the end).