Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    Agreed.

In the same vein, it makes me cringe the fact that Austin walks EVERY time he catches the ball on the perimiter. He is SO sloppy with his footwork when he catches the ball. I can't figure out if its on purpose to keep his defender off balance (since they have no idea what his pivot foot is, considering he doesn't either) or what. Austin isn't the only player who does this though, its VERY common in college ball and particularly in the NBA.
    In my opinion, this post, as well as mine, should be deleted. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should we DBR members discuss or otherwise acknowledge Austin's 100% travel per possession rate. There is no reason to draw the public's attention to this. It can only hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    In my opinion, this post, as well as mine, should be deleted. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should we DBR members discuss or otherwise acknowledge Austin's 100% travel per possession rate. There is no reason to draw the public's attention to this. It can only hurt us.
    lol

Delete mine too, but it also drives me crazy. When Valentine called him for it against FSU, I was all "WHA... oh, well... okay." Can't really argue that it's not a travel; you'd like for our best player to not give the refs reason to call him for a TO every time he gets the ball...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    lol

Delete mine too, but it also drives me crazy. When Valentine called him for it against FSU, I was all "WHA... oh, well... okay." Can't really argue that it's not a travel; you'd like for our best player to not give the refs reason to call him for a TO every time he gets the ball...
    In fairness, it's not exclusive to Rivers (though he does it more frequently than most people simply due to volume of possessions). Nearly everyone travels when the catch the ball coming toward half court away from the basket. It should be called a lot more than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    lol

Yeah... and you just know it is going to happen in the most terrible situation possible.

I remember when a player in the NCAA tournament (I'm not sure if it was last year's tourney or the one before) got called for a TO in the dying seconds of a single-possession game for -- good lord! -- having his toe on the line for the inbounds pass.

[sarcasm] How did he expect to get away with such obvious cheating? He clearly got far too big of an advantage for the refs to let him get away with it. [/sarcasm]

I have not seen a ref ever make that call, before or since.

Edit: Wow, sorry. I just realized how far off-topic this is. My apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Offer to help him up with the game clock running at the end of a close game?
    I didn't watch it live, but got to see some of this discussion before watching the TIVO, and replayed it several times yesterday. The video resolution wasn't ideal, but it looked like the VT player had his mouth open, but was otherwise expressionless. It certainly wasn't an expression of "concern." My initial reaction was, "Ouch!" And my second thought was, "What a stupid play on his part (the reaction, not the block)." It wasn't a foul, or even dirty, but, yes, I think it was a sort of "taunting glare" to the prone Thornton. Why stupid? B/c there's less than 5 seconds left in the game and your team is running a desperation next-to-last play, and you waste over two seconds standing over a player that you just knocked down, instead of following the ball to the hoop??! (If the lay-up had missed we'd be all here laughing at the guy for the "missed oppotunity" of an easy, important follow-up basket at game's end.) The clock on the backboard in the background was helpful, as the initial contact occured at 5.9 seconds, and he finally turns to leaves at 3.8 seconds IIRC), but by then the ball handler and MP2 are already into the lane. BTW, he wasn't the first VT player to try to take a chunk out of TT on screens set for their star SG. Clearly Tyler was being a defensive pest, and that probably added to their resentment/frustration. I was glad there wasn't any jawing from the Duke players afterwards.

But I agree with the posters who point out that, after several recent incidents, there is a bit of an "edge", it appears, to Seth G.'s players. Not knowing the insides of the program, I imagine there is an element of what they would call "being fiesty" (we might call it "chippy," or worse). It can't be fun to keep losing to the "rich kids school" year after year. Living in VA, I see among VPI alums some elements of the infamous MD "inferiority complex," but at least they have great football as an outlet. And don't think that they haven't forgotten that many in the ACC didn't want them added.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Yeah... and you just know it is going to happen in the most terrible situation possible.

I remember when a player in the NCAA tournament (I'm not sure if it was last year's tourney or the one before) got called for a TO in the dying seconds of a single-possession game for -- good lord! -- having his toe on the line for the inbounds pass.

[sarcasm] How did he expect to get away with such obvious cheating? He clearly got far too big of an advantage for the refs to let him get away with it. [/sarcasm]

I have not seen a ref ever make that call, before or since.

Edit: Wow, sorry. I just realized how far off-topic this is. My apologies.
    this is one that drives me crazy. If they aren't going to enforce the rule, why not just have the players check the ball to the other team to start the clock.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In fairness, it's not exclusive to Rivers (though he does it more frequently than most people simply due to volume of possessions). Nearly everyone travels when the catch the ball coming toward half court away from the basket. It should be called a lot more than it is.
    I know man, but not as bad as Rivers. And it's more than just on the catch, he shifts his pivot foot on almost every first step-cut he makes, which is a little less common.

But ANYWAY...

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    this is one that drives me crazy. If they aren't going to enforce the rule, why not just have the players check the ball to the other team to start the clock.
    Okay, one more and then I'll stop hijacking the thread: Why don't they just change the rulebook to finally say that a player on the losing team is allowed to intentionally foul in the final minutes of the game and only be penalized with a regular foul. Or did this already happen and I just missed it? Because, I think technically, the winning team should get two shots and then keep possession every single time. But if refs actual made the correct call here, a late 7 point lead would essentially become a blow-out. At this point, breaking the rule is so ingrained in the game that it would not even make sense to enforce it.

They could even add in a caveat along a certain line, which I would actually like to see, saying that a team can only use up their extra fouls to a certain point (i.e. penalize teams who play a very rough style of play by forcing them to use up their "extra" fouls through the course of the game, leaving none for when they need them at the end). A sensible limit, in my opinion would be three fouls past the double bonus (so 13 fouls total for the second half), but I could understand arguments for higher or lower limits--or even, for no limit at all, to be honest. I'm just speculating here.
    Last edited by Jderf; 02-28-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Oh Good Grief

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    But I agree with the posters who point out that, after several recent incidents, there is a bit of an "edge", it appears, to Seth G.'s players. Not knowing the insides of the program, I imagine there is an element of what they would call "being fiesty" (we might call it "chippy," or worse). It can't be fun to keep losing to the "rich kids school" year after year. Living in VA, I see among VPI alums some elements of the infamous MD "inferiority complex," but at least they have great football as an outlet. And don't think that they haven't forgotten that many in the ACC didn't want them added.
    Does this mean that I need to come back here to point out everytime a Duke player does anything resembling taunting in a game, or Coach K does anything obnoxious (such as telling Zabian Dowdell how he should celebrate after a win)?

In this case, I thought Raines' reaction was just like it was earlier in overtime when he was called for a foul on a Rivers drive and went over to help him up.

To be honest, beating Duke in football registers very little for us. If you'd won one or more of the close games we've had (live we have in basketball), the situation would be different. Until then...

Point extremely well taken

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Not sure what the point of the front page write up is. I watched and rewatched the pick and didn't think there was any over the top taunting. People on the board always remind folks that these are just kids. Duke players are just as guilty of "showboating" or "taunting" as other teams ... see Andre Dawkins and, in an even bigger show, Quinn Cook after The Shot 2.0.

Was it the most sportsmanlike action? Probably not. Was it some sort of unacceptable display? I hope not, or else we have some issues on our own team.
    Thank you for making the point about Duke players who act inappropriately. I was devastated to see Quinn popping his jersey after Austin's shot in the Dean Dome... and was very glad that Austin hadn't done it. It was truly stupid. We handed UNC a jaw-dropping defeat, and all Quinn can think of is to taunt them? That's almost suicidal.

I don't like taunts whether they are "deserved" or not. I don't think it was an illegal or bad pick, and I saw it in person and have watched it multiple times since then. Don't blame anyone... but the VT player didn't, in my opinion, taunt.

This whole issue, however, is so trivial when in 12 minutes we are going to play Wake. I'm hoping that the good Devils turn up tonight... the ones who are great 3 point shooters and play solid defense! GO DEVILS!!!!
    DukeDevilDeb

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Offer to help him up with the game clock running at the end of a close game?
    No more ridiculous than standing over a guy doing nothing and wasting time while his team was trying to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    No more ridiculous than standing over a guy doing nothing and wasting time while his team was trying to come back.
    Then I think you agree with me sir. The two options we are discussing are not mutually exclusive with regards to "ridiculousnesss".

bluedevil31 said that he thought that Raines handled himself well, but perhaps could have offered a hand to hep Thorton up. That is ridiculous. As I noted, it was a close game and he should have gotten back into the back court to help his team on one of their final possessions.

Instead of getting back into the play, Raines wasted 2 seconds standing over (maybe taunting) Thorton. That is ridiculous too.

What Raines should have done was get back into VT's offensive set after setting the pick, because that is what you do after you set a pick at mid-court. Whether he decided to taunt Tyler, help Tyler up, do a little dance, recite poetry, play air guitar, etc. etc. anything other than getting back into the play at that point was the wrong thing to do.

By no means did I state or imply that because helping another player up is a waste of time, that taunting them is not a waste of time.