Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st GAME @ Cameron...NEED HELP! (UNC vs. Duke)

Fellow Crazies-

I have been a Duke fan my whole life. I am from Nebraska, so I am looking for some help.

1. State Farm Gameday should be in Durham. How easy is it to get in?
    2. What is a MUST see or DO on campus?

THANK you ahead of time!

Blue4Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue4Life View Post
    Fellow Crazies-

I have been a Duke fan my whole life. I am from Nebraska, so I am looking for some help.

Pretty easy. Just show up at Cameron at the right time in the morning. They don't swipe DukeCards if I remember correctly.

Besides the Chapel and Gardens? Wally Wade is right next to Cameron — actually, the whole athletics complex is pretty neat. The Nasher can be fun. I'm not sure what's showing there right now. Walking around the quads is probably the most genuine student experience.

Fellow Crazies-

THANK you ahead of time!

Blue4Life!
    an absolute must is duke chapel, gotta see that, also check out the hall of fame on the other side of cameron in the schwartz butters building

Obviously, Cameron, the Gardens, and the Chapel are huge.

Aside from that, make sure you get a bite to eat at the Refectory after you check out the Chapel. It's an awesome cafeteria that is all organic homemade food and it's DELICIOUS. Facing the Chapel from the West bus stop, hug the right side and you should see a sign pointing it out in front of the Divinity School near Goodson Chapel.

Come visit us in K-Ville, of course! I'm in Tent 1 — can't miss it, we're the tent with "GO TO HELL CAROLINA" written on the side in duct tape.

Also check out what's going on in Durham this weekend! See if there's anything going on at the DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center). If you're looking for a good sports bar to watch something else before/after the UNX game, check out Tobacco Road Sports Bar in the outfield of the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Go exploring downtown — a lot of great restaurants in Durham.

Have a great time!

According to this press release, the event is open to the public. Some information about parking and such is also contained in the link.

Congrats on getting to attend your first game! Take a stroll through Krzyzewskiville and chat with some students, you'll hear some great stories. Downtown Durham is not far away, be sure to try some Carolina barbecue (there are several threads on the topic around this board if you need suggestions).

if you get a chance, take a walk around the library...especially the bridges in between bostock and wilson...and the link is pretty cool too, down in the basement...yes i'm a nerd, but i think the library is an awesome place to walk around
    1200. DDMF.

I agree that the Chapel is the biggest must-see, regardless of religious affiliation. I'm not sure if they still play the bells at 5 pm but that is a pretty awesome experience. Gardens are nice too. I just checked the schedule and the baseball team has a home game Saturday on campus at noon vs. GW. I would suggest getting an early lunch (my personal preference is Bullocks, others will advise otherwise) and head over to the game around 1 and catch a few innings - it's a great place to watch a game.

What is a MUST see or DO on campus?
    1. Tunneling
    2. Doming
    3. Get busy in the stacks
    4. Go around the traffic circle backwards
    5. There's a fifth thing, but I'm too far removed to remember. (Get busy in the Gardens, perhaps?)

(Do students still do any of these things?)

Oh, but most importantly -- have a great time at the game, yell loudly, and help bring us a victory!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    1. Tunneling
    2. Doming
    3. Get busy in the stacks
    4. Go around the traffic circle backwards
    5. There's a fifth thing, but I'm too far removed to remember. (Get busy in the Gardens, perhaps?)

(Do students still do any of these things?)

Oh, but most importantly -- have a great time at the game, yell loudly, and help bring us a victory!!!!
    Yeah, #5 is get busy in the Gardens. The "Graduation Requirements" are alive and well, although modern surveillance and security measures have made 3 and 5 much more difficult.

You will have a great time. You are going at the absolutely best time possible. A Duke/Carolina game in CIS doesn't get any better and this year they will likely play for the regular season championship. The campus will be alive with excitement. The only thing that would make it better is to have it a month later when the flowers are in bloom. But since you're from Nebraska it will seem balmy to you.

This reminds me of the time I first saw Duke in person, taking my son on a tour of college campuses the summer between his junior and senior year in high school nearly seven years ago. We were both college basketball fans and certainly admired Duke's program, but we weren't any more devoted to Duke than to U. Va., which is closer to us. After the official tour we decided to take a closer look at Cameron, since we knew it was a mecca for college basketball. Luckily we found an open door and were able to walk out on the court when the place was empty. We didn't know from seeing it on t.v. how small and intimate an arena it is. The student bleachers were almost on top of the court they were so close! And championship banners and retired jerseys hung from the ceiling by the score.

He fell in love with the place. His mom and I took him on a northeast college tour to see some of the Ivies (including my alma mater) and other schools for which his academic record made him eligible. He measured them all against Duke and didn't see anything else he liked better, applied early admission to Duke, got in, and thoroughly enjoyed his four years. He even played a basketball game in Cameron - with refs, a working scoreboard and a few friends in the stands- although it was for intramurals.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree that the Chapel is the biggest must-see, regardless of religious affiliation. I'm not sure if they still play the bells at 5 pm but that is a pretty awesome experience. Gardens are nice too. I just checked the schedule and the baseball team has a home game Saturday on campus at noon vs. GW. I would suggest getting an early lunch (my personal preference is Bullocks, others will advise otherwise) and head over to the game around 1 and catch a few innings - it's a great place to watch a game.
    The carillon is played at 5P on weekdays. On Friday's, the selections include the Duke alma mater (Dear Ole Duke) per a long ago request of Terry Sanford, then university president.

Fellow Crazies-

THANK you ahead of time!

Blue4Life!
    What part of Nebraska are you from? Im from Norfolk, NE and Im so jealous your going to the UNC vs. Duke. Someday I will see a game in Cameron!

Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The Nasher can be fun. I'm not sure what's showing there right now.
    The two temporary exhibits are:
    • Alexander Calder and Contemporary Art: Form, Balance, Joy
    • Angels, Devils and the Electric Slide: Outsider Art from the Permanent Collection

Over on East, in the East Duke Building, is the inaugural show from the MFA EDA program. On West, in the Allen building's 2nd floor is Jeremy Lange's The Hayti Sessions.

If interested in just seeing the students "in action," then the Student Union (Bryan Center) is something to visit, especially given that it houses the Duke stores (Duke clothing, memorabelia, books, etc), and a few restaurants. It is located between the Chapel (its really a cathedral) and Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Duke is a very "walkable" campus. If you are familliar with the University of Nebraska, then this will seem pretty darned small (only 6K undergrads). Many of the "quads" - student dorm areas that resemble a gothic castle of sorts - lie between Bryan Center/Chapel/Gardens and Cameron Indoor Stadium. Get to the game really early to soak in the atmosphere. In a building attached to CIS is the Duke Hall of Fame.

For first-time visitors I always suggest hopping in the car for the 7-mile "trek" down Rte 15-501 over to Chappa Heel, where they wear a much-faded shade of blue (but have an otherwise pretty campus, and very nice student life area along Franklin St.). If for no other reason than to see how close the two rival schools are to each other... ... I wouldn't bother to visit their library though, as I have it on good authority that the book is currently checked out...

THANKS for all of the advice! I can barely sleep and I won't hit Durham till Friday.

I plan on going to GAMEDAY...so, what time do you recommend getting in line. And is there anyway to get into the student section for that? I look YOUNG??

Itinerary?

THANKS for all of the advice! I can barely sleep and I won't hit Durham till Friday.

I plan on going to GAMEDAY...so, what time do you recommend getting in line. And is there anyway to get into the student section for that? I look YOUNG??
    You have received many helpful suggestions, but I am having trouble imagining how your day will unfold.

The first part of any plan has to do with "arrival." And if you have a car, that begins with, "where the heck do I park." If you are staying at the Wash Duke (expensive, but recommended) your problem is solved in that the Wash Duke is only five minutes from Cameron and ten minutes from the Main Quad and the Chapel.

Otherwise, if you need to park, you may want to grab a space (pay parking) at the Bryan lot, which you can access from Science Drive. Then, you walk from the lot either into Bryan or onto a walkway that flanks the Chapel (this is from memory, and I refuse to look it up). That would make it easy to walk the quad and tour the Chapel.

The Duke Chapel was built using the same design, traditional materials and methods as an English Gothic Cathedral. The materials are stone, glass, grout and lead. There is (or was a long time ago) a concrete floor at the top of the Chapel tower, which was the only non-traditional material used in the building. When touring the main Chapel (which seats about a thousand), look to see if there is access to the mysterious side chapels and the crypts. There is also a clerestory level, which may not be accessible, that provides wonderful interior views. The Chapel, I've been told, was built in a mere 18 months. The National Cathedral in Washington -- larger, to be sure -- was built in about 83 years (funding issues).

Every academic building on the main quad (to the right, facing the Chapel) was originally something else. The exception is the Divinity School to the immediate right of the Chapel -- although it has expanded immensely.

The residential quads are still the same, but there are many new dorms spilling down the hill.

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    [*] Alexander Calder and Contemporary Art: Form, Balance, Joy
    Oooooh, I like Calder. Now I want to go back to Duke again.

New K-4 dorms

You might even want to visit the new K-4 dorms as described here (bonus shots of Blue Devil and some recent basketball highlights!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DukeDeve...?feature=watch

Of course, sadly, I remember when what is now Edens Quadrangle included the "new dorms" of York/Lancaster/Burton/Taylor/Mirecourt. (Well, I think those were the names... ) But, of course, I was in an all-freshman dorm in Kilgo Quadrangle. QUITE convenient to the Dope Shop - I still remember those milkshakes!

Alas, life moves on!

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    You might even want to visit the new K-4 dorms as described here (bonus shots of Blue Devil and some recent basketball highlights!)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DukeDeve...?feature=watch

Of course, sadly, I remember when what is now Edens Quadrangle included the "new dorms" of York/Lancaster/Burton/Taylor/Mirecourt. (Well, I think those were the names... ) But, of course, I was in an all-freshman dorm in Kilgo Quadrangle. QUITE convenient to the Dope Shop - I still remember those milkshakes!

Alas, life moves on!

k
    Burton does not sound right (it might have been Fisher at that time, or maybe it was Burton's first go-around) and I am too tired (it's after 2:00 am here in Texas) to look up the the right name now. I lived in Mirecourt in its first year in the new location and it was really great sliding down the length of the stair rail outside. When it was cold, and wearing the right pants, you could really fly! You know, was BOG relocated in there at that time, also? I'm a crustie, as a lot of you know, and the only thing I am sure of is the rail on this one. Someone help us out here.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Yeah, #5 is get busy in the Gardens. The "Graduation Requirements" are alive and well, although modern surveillance and security measures have made 3 and 5 much more difficult.
    Not more difficult, just more likely to end up on the internet somewhere. But, hey, just make sure you work on the abs so you look alright on camera