Walker might back out on Wake?

The rumor has popped up and begun to spread. I've even seen a thread title on IC, but can't read the thread.

Who was it on this board that made this suggestion a few weeks ago? I remember posters suggesting it was ridiculous. I didn't post that, but I thought it silly as well. And yet, the rumor appears to have "legs" as they say.

I have heard the Roy Williams might be open to this because he was very displeased with some of the negative recruiting done by the Wake coaching staff. But that info comes from UNC fans and is therefore highly suspect.

It would be a strange turn of events.

Any chance at all that Duke could get into this if he decommits?

I said it (I told you so)

and I was roundly shouted down. If the word "idiot" was not used outright, then it was danced around, very clumsily. Hmm, if I was right about this, I wonder what else I might possibly (certainly will) be proven correct regarding?

I was purely conjecturing at the time, but you cannot be surprised by this rumor. For all that Aminu wants to play on the wing next year, you have a 6-8 combo (at least in college) in Aminu, and a 6-10, 230 lb kid in Woods at center, and a 7-0 215 lb kid in Woods, also at the center. This says nothing of a current incomming freshman who is supposedly a very capable PF

Yes, in 2-3 years it might be possible to play the three incoming bigs at the same time. But not next year, and probably not the year after.

For those of you who think Ol Roy would never recruit a committed kid, dream on. Only a few programs are considered poach proof, and they are Duke, UNC, and the like, ie long-term super programs. WFU is not one of these programs. I am sure that some UNC assistant managed to convey that UNC would be willing to listein if Walker changed his mind.

Also, this is horrible for Duke. Apparantly UNC was comming on strong when Prosser pressed for the committ. At the time, UNC was believed to be a lock for Delvon Roe and Semardo Samuels, both of whom are better than Walker. With Samuels at UNC, and the returning talent in the post, Walker might have gotten serious consideration for a Redshirt at UNC, whereas WFU offered virtually limitless PT and shots. That has now done a 180. Samuels and Roe both backed off UNC. Davis is comming, true, but Samuels was the 250 lb white elephant as far as Walker is concerned. Now, there is the real possibility of minutes, at least in a solid back-up role, immediately at UNC.

The last time UNC missed on a kid, in state, that it really wanted, was Shav. And that occurred during the D'oherty meltdown. I find it unlikely that Roy will miss many in-staters that he truly pursues. For many non-native NC Duke fans and alums, you may not realize the near expectation that a in state player will attend UNC, if UNC actually wants them. Living near Winston and going to WFU is one of the few get out of jail free cards as far as the light blue expectations are concerned.

As far as Duke getting in on him, I find that highly unlikely. If he backs out, he will commit to UNC within 72 hrs.

Patrick Yates

I told you so
    Last edited by Patrick Yates; 07-26-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Patrick,

I am not saying that Walker won't back out of his commitment to Wake, but before you start throwing around "I told you sos" do you think that it might be good to have more than IC speculation on something that would be good for UNC? It could very well turn out that Walker does back out (I have absolutely no information on it), but if he doesn't I'd hate to see you have to take back all those "I told yous".

I don't think "I told you so" is a very graceful way to be correct. Especially when you admit you were conjecturing. Which means that essentially you might hav made a lucky guess.

I thought the original supposition was based on something a little more concrete, so I started this thread to give kudos. But I can still give you kudos for thinking outside the box.

This probably has something to do with the fact that Skip Prosser died of a heart attack today. Pretty sad stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    This probably has something to do with the fact that Skip Prosser died of a heart attack today. Pretty sad stuff.
    Can I ask where you saw this? I just did a quick google search and wasn't able to turn anything up.

That's terrible news - a true loss for Wake and for the ACC community in general.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

never mind, just saw the Prosser thread.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Little chance of Walker backing out now

Can you imagine if he abandoned WFU now, because of, or in the wake of Prosser's death?

If he does, then I hope he ends up a UNC with a few visits to Duke and WFU to enjoy the notoriety.

Patrick Yates

The Walker rumors predated Skip Prosser's death by several weeks.

Patrick, imo, your last post was not exactly in good taste. Maybe I'm too sensitive to that sort of thing, but not so good. IMO