Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    This is a well-rounded answer. To be honest, I'm surprised that Duke fans haven't hit the nail on the head for the biggest reason UNC hasn't appeared so dominant: Duke! UNC has Duke to blame for one of their two losses, which tightened the top of the standings. A UNC team looking to go 15-1 on Saturday in Cameron WOULD have had a dominant season, as, if they were to accomplish that feat, they would have to beat Duke twice meaning Duke would be 12-4. That is probably closer to where most people would have guessed we would be in the pre-season. However, Duke has been the team that has played really well, gutted out a few close games, and handed UNC a second ACC loss, thus keeping UNC from running away from the pack. Assuming UNC wins tonight, most people would see a potential 14-2 ACC record as pretty dominant and good enough to win the regular season. It just so happens that because Duke has played well enough to match UNC in the rankings, a potential 14-2 record no longer fulfills sports fans' criteria for the word "dominant."
    It's funny that you wrote this because right after I finished my post, I thought that I should have added a fourth reason...Duke. I think you're absolutely correct that Duke's success is part of the reason it feels like we are not meeting expectations. Not only did you hand us a loss, but the gap between us was supposed to be larger than it currently is. It's inevitable that we measure success based on a comparison with you and (so far) it has not worked out the way we hoped. Luckily we have a chance Saturday to right the ship.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    According to Wiki, over the last ten years K has not won the recognition even once, while Roy has won twice, Gary has won twice, and Seth won twice. Herb, Leonard, and Skip also won once each. Even Leitao one once. Time for a well-deserved make up call, IMO.
    over coach K's entire duke career, if they simply chose the winner by random he would've expected to take home 3-4 awards (3.44 for you precision nerds), so at 5 we can all safely conclude that his tenure at duke should be best described as slightly better than average, but not with any statistical significance.
    Last edited by bob blue devil; 02-29-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

For what its worth...

ESPN's 'expert' picks:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...erence-poy-coy

Coach K gets half of the 12 picks, Hamilton second with 3. Shoutouts to Larranaga and Bennett.

And Dana O'Neil thinks Kendall Marshall is POY, the only one who didn't pick Zeller.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    ESPN's 'expert' picks:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...erence-poy-coy

Coach K gets half of the 12 picks, Hamilton second with 3. Shoutouts to Larranaga and Bennett.

And Dana O'Neil thinks Kendall Marshall is POY, the only one who didn't pick Zeller.
    Thanks for the link. John Gasaway also didn't pick Zeller for POY - he chose Mike Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Trying this again...
    An example of good coaching in a tight game by Roy that no-one ever wants to give him credit for...

http://youtu.be/dkKaCgd5eLw?hd=1
    Maryland just scored on a lob dunk out of a timeout. Turgeon for ACC COY?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Maryland just scored on a lob dunk out of a timeout. Turgeon for ACC COY?
    He also just picked up a T.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I could buy the argument for MVP, but not POY. Though that does kind of beg the question of how you define POY.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Zach Dillard at FoxSports thinks K deserves the ACC COY, and lists tons of good reasons to back himself up.

Here's one of them.
    Forget the No. 6 ranking in the AP preseason poll. Just think of the obstacles Krzyzewski overcame this season. He lost his three best players from last season – Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith and No. 1 NBA draft pick Kyrie Irving. He has been forced to shuffle and reshuffle the lineup. There is no definitive starter at point guard, the shooters are as streaky as they are gifted, frontcourt production remains a toss-up from game to game and the team's best offensive weapon is a supremely talented, yet ultimate gunner in freshman star Austin Rivers. It reads like a recipe for shaky offense.

Still, it is late February and the Blue Devils grade out as one of the top offensive teams in the country — limiting turnovers and averaging an elite 119 points per 100 possessions.
    http://www.foxsportssouth.com/02/29/...34&feedID=3796
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Zach Dillard at FoxSports thinks K deserves the ACC COY, and lists tons of good reasons to back himself up.

http://www.foxsportssouth.com/02/29/...34&feedID=3796
    Great article. It is getting harder and harder to argue against K for COY, as Dillard shows. In particular, I thought this quote deserved a direct post in the thread:

So how does a 12-time National Coach of the Year winner claim the ACC honor only five times in 31 seasons? The country’s top chef is struggling to earn Employee of the Month at his own restaurant.