Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke 70, Virginia Tech 65 (OT) Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Whew. Gutted that one out.

Our defense was better than our offense today.

Fighting through adversity. Learning from losses. Overtime. Buzzer beaters. Foul trouble. Rough play. This team will be a tough out come tourney time.

Phew. I've already exceeded the maximum allowable Tums for the next 48 hours.

Good Win -- They All Are

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Whew. Gutted that one out.

Our defense was better than our offense today.
    Agreed. Kudos to all, especially Tyler, Miles, Seth, and Austin.

sagegrouse

Phew!

When can VT move to the Big Ten?

Good win, but we should have finished at the FT line better, even Mason. Mason's been better at the line later in the year than earlier, but his 2nd FT at the end was really flat. And I think Austin just needs to pretend it's a difficult shot. ;-)

Wouldn't hurt him to use some glass more too ... he left a couple wide open fingertip lay-ins short as he halted his momentum too much before ball release (or released too late given his halt).

We're getting good at not choking away close games ... that's good ... but a) should it have been close? b) VT's gotta feel that they blew a great chance to steal one at Cameron.

Hope Tyler and Josh are OK. Next play!

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    When can VT move to the Big Ten?
    VT and FSU are the most brutally physical teams in the conference. And we just played them back to back on a day's switch. What a great test, what resolve to win them both.

Very proud of the team, hope Jiggy is fine and recovers well/quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    VT and FSU are the most brutally physical teams in the conference. And we just played them back to back on a day's switch. What a great test, what resolve to win them both.
    I agree; but I find it interesting that the same could said for the other expansion teams, BC and Miami. All 4 play excessively physical basketball IMO, often leading to ugly, bruising, low-scoring affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I agree; but I find it interesting that the same could said for the other expansion teams, BC and Miami. All 4 play excessively physical basketball IMO, often leading to ugly, bruising, low-scoring affairs.
    "Big East come South"

I'm very happy that Duke is 13-3 in games decided by single digits. That shows that they know how to make winning plays late. Today's game was pretty much the mirror image of the Miami game (at least late since Duke wasn't down double digits today) and Duke found a way to win this one whereas they lost the Miami game. Good job guys!

This was the trap game and we escaped.

Kudos to the team for finding a way to win without our best stuff. We had no legs today, but hung in for the win.

Thank God for our outstanding free throw defense.

1) We won. Don't care how.
    2) No one got seriously injured (I think Josh got stitches.)
    3) GTHC!

Our guys are tough

The team must have been very tired going in today, yet the rotations were really minimized. With that said, I think our defensive effort for most of the game was excellent. Tyler really had a great game as defensive stopper on Green. He also hit a couple of threes. Seth was also great defensively and played a really smart game. His scoring late in the game came at critical times. Austin was clearly tired but he never let off the throttle and kept going into the defense and getting fouled. He was a little off on his foul shooting, but it still was enough to keep us in the game. He is a big problem for other teams and no one has figured a way to totally stop him. Ryan played very well. I thought he picked up a couple of questionable fouls, but you have to accept some of that in a highly contested game. Miles also played big for us. We were a little slow on our defensive rebounds and were giving up too many offensive bounds. All that seemed to change late in the game as both Miles and Mason really hustled and got the crucial rebounds for us. Andre and Quinn didn't get much time, as the others were doing so well. Josh got a cut near his eye and didn't come back. I assume it took stitches and he may have seemed a little woozy, so they didn't bring him back. Have to keep and eye on that situation.

Give VT credit, they played with passion and kept pace with Duke. I really liked the play by play and color today. ESPN could learn a lot by listening to the guys that called our game today.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I really liked the play by play and color today. ESPN could learn a lot by listening to the guys that called our game today.
    At least one of them. Near the end of OT, when we were at the line, one of them said "VT hasn't taken a free throw in the overtime." To which the other responded, "Well, they've been taking perimeter shots." Facts are stubborn things indeed!

Glad to Win That One

We need to get more low post production. We are simply ignoring the Plumlees on the offensive end. Va Tech was over playing the three and as a result we had a tough outing beyond the arc. Greenberg's stategy was obviously to stop the 3, which I think was very smart. We shot 6-24 from beyond the arc and it was not because we just missed shots. Their defense was good outside because they weren't guarding us down low. Curry had more shots than Miles, Mason and Kelly combined. The lack of a low post production is the real weakness of this team but we are still getting it done and still at the top of the conference standings. Let's hope we can put 2 more wins on the board in the next 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    We need to get more low post production. We are simply ignoring the Plumlees on the offensive end. Va Tech was over playing the three and as a result we had a tough outing beyond the arc. Greenberg's stategy was obviously to stop the 3, which I think was very smart. We shot 6-24 from beyond the arc and it was not because we just missed shots. Their defense was good outside because they weren't guarding us down low. Curry had more shots than Miles, Mason and Kelly combined. The lack of a low post production is the real weakness of this team but we are still getting it done and still at the top of the conference standings. Let's hope we can put 2 more wins on the board in the next 2 games.
    Mason touched the ball quite a few times today but was immediately double teamed. His footwork simply hasn't advanced to a level to be able to consistently attack the basket out of a double team.

Also getting blocked

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Mason touched the ball quite a few times today but was immediately double teamed. His footwork simply hasn't advanced to a level to be able to consistently attack the basket out of a double team.
    He was alone inside at the basket twice and brought the ball up over his head twice and got blocked. He could have kept the defender away from the ball if he had anticipated that. He did get extremely active late in the game and that was a much needed part of the win.

VT really took the 3 away from us today. They were the anti-Heels in that they know how to guard the perimeter.

There were a couple of bad misses on the front ends of one-and-ones that will hurt us in middle March if we continue to do that.

As far as the tired legs are concerned, we have the AAC tourney coming up and then the dance. Tired legs can't be an issue. I thought that's why K likes to schedule tough early games with lots of travel. That can't be an excuse.

Gotta love the fact that we pulled this one out, though. Couple of weeks ago, we didn't seem to know how to win these.

Last point, the final foul on Kelly was big. Not only was it questionable, but it negated a late three by Curry which he canned on the play. That foul isn't called, the game isn't in OT.

On to Wake and then the rematch at home. Fun week coming up.

GTHC.

I was very proud how the team toughed out the win today. I think either physically or emotionally we didn't quite have our edge today after the quick turnaround from Thursday night's game. But the guys fought hard anyway and played good D and got the W. I especially thought Tyler had a great defensive game and knocked down a few open jumpers too. Not sure if the Mason benching was for motivation or to reward the other guys or what, but he seemed to take forever to get into the game emotionally. But the last bit of the second half and overtime he started playing like a man and pulling in some big rebounds. Hopefully he can channel that aggressiveness for the rest of the season.

Gutted it out for the win but the guys have got to improve their FT shooting and focus on both ends. Not trying to be too critical of the crowd, but the GTHC chant when THIS game is still in doubt is totally unnecessary. The "you let the whole team down" is funny situationally but is getting overused, too.