Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Duke is going to win its 5th national championship if we manage to survive our double overtime time against the 16 seed in the first round.
    It will be 6; we already have 5 - because I decided to award one to Duke based on the 1999 season's body of work - and a frame-by-frame evaluation of officiating in the title game. What? Duke doesn't do that? Seems like I've heard of some school claiming a championship in a similar manner...

Our guys are tough

The team must have been very tired going in today, yet the rotations were really minimized. With that said, I think our defensive effort for most of the game was excellent. Tyler really had a great game as defensive stopper on Green. He also hit a couple of threes. Seth was also great defensively and played a really smart game. His scoring late in the game came at critical times. Austin was clearly tired but he never let off the throttle and kept going into the defense and getting fouled. He was a little off on his foul shooting, but it still was enough to keep us in the game. He is a big problem for other teams and no one has figured a way to totally stop him. Ryan played very well. I thought he picked up a couple of questionable fouls, but you have to accept some of that in a highly contested game. Miles also played big for us. We were a little slow on our defensive rebounds and were giving up too many offensive bounds. All that seemed to change late in the game as both Miles and Mason really hustled and got the crucial rebounds for us. Andre and Quinn didn't get much time, as the others were doing so well. Josh got a cut near his eye and didn't come back. I assume it took stitches and he may have seemed a little woozy, so they didn't bring him back. Have to keep and eye on that situation.

Give VT credit, they played with passion and kept pace with Duke. I really liked the play by play and color today. ESPN could learn a lot by listening to the guys that called our game today.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I really liked the play by play and color today. ESPN could learn a lot by listening to the guys that called our game today.
    At least one of them. Near the end of OT, when we were at the line, one of them said "VT hasn't taken a free throw in the overtime." To which the other responded, "Well, they've been taking perimeter shots." Facts are stubborn things indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I didn't see this coming at all, but Miles is definitely outplaying his brother. Thought the key to our year would have to be Mason (still think it will be), but we're winning with poor/ineffective play by MP2. I just don't understand how he is regressed, particularly against teams with out great big men (BC and VPI). Anyway, good for Miles - he should continue to get more minutes.
    Tech's big men played very well today. They had many excellent shot fakes and put backs while displaying some pretty good footwork. One of the big reasons Ryan had 5 fouls.

I want to give Duke a huge break in this game for a lot of effort and energy stats. I know the commentator harped a lot on rest and "tired legs" for Duke, but this is not like when Lenny Elmore does it. I talked about this in the in game thread, but it's worth mentioning again. Va Tech had just about every single intangible and physical advantage you could have. Physically, Duke had one day of rest to travel in from Florida, while Va Tech had three days rest to come in from Blacksburg. Going back further, Duke had a trip that went Boston-Durham-Tallahassee-Durham in just 7 days, while Tech, while Tech had 2 home games before this in the last 8 days. Also, Duke had to go with a 3 man big guy rotation with Hairston's injury. This was a game where they really could have used him in spurts to give the other guys more rest. That's a huge physical advantage. Intangibly, Duke came off an emotional revenge win against a team it beat by 15 on the road and Tech was coming off a tough rivalry loss (which definitely has its own emotional toll), but had the revenge factor themselves. With the exception of Va Tech's recent in-state rivalry game, that's just about every physical and intangible advantage a team can have, not to mention that the game went an extra 5 minutes. So for those reasons, it's hard to criticize things like poor shooting, missing a lot of free throws early in OT, giving up a ton of offensive boards (including one that could have lost the game on the last possession), and allowing Va Tech to dominate the 50-50 ball battle.

Given these circumstances, there were some things that really impressed me. I thought the effort was great on defense compared to offense, especially in the first half. This is a team that all year has seemed to be a little more interested in offense because they're better at it, but they clearly gave what little energy they had to the defensive end. Give Tyler Thornton all the credit in the world for that. He did a great job disrupting plays, drawing charges, and helping to create turnovers, and it really rubbed off on the team. As the game went on, the team got more and more aggressive, with Rivers really going at the bucket hard, with Curry and even Miles getting in on the driving as well. They really hung in there mentally after a tough two, what appeared to be a missed foul on Thornton, and a stupid bank three put them down with not a lot of time left. In the last minute they got it down to 1, forced a turnover, tied it, and played good initial D on the last possession (though they did give up the open second shot). In OT, they almost never settled, going into full attack mode. Except for the last two by Curry with just .2 left, all of the free throws in OT were shot by Rivers and the Plumlees, who are Duke's worst from the line among regulars. They were able to shoot about their average as a group, 6-10, in spite of the fatigue and pressure. Big props especially to Miles hitting two big ones in a row.

While I gave them a big break today for the emotional and physical let down, it will have to get better soon, with the possibility of 3 games in three days in the ACC tourney and similar 1 day off turnarounds in the NCAA tourney. Given the travel schedule, I don't think that the Physical let down will be an issue, but they came out really sloppy in the first half emotionally, with a lot of lazy plays on offense, both in transition and in the half court. If I were coaching this team, that's what I'd be harping on them about tomorrow and would be challenging them big time to come out with intensity against Wake early. In fact, If they get caught looking ahead to Carolina in the first half against Wake, I'll be extremely disappointed after this big lesson today.

Glad to Win That One

We need to get more low post production. We are simply ignoring the Plumlees on the offensive end. Va Tech was over playing the three and as a result we had a tough outing beyond the arc. Greenberg's stategy was obviously to stop the 3, which I think was very smart. We shot 6-24 from beyond the arc and it was not because we just missed shots. Their defense was good outside because they weren't guarding us down low. Curry had more shots than Miles, Mason and Kelly combined. The lack of a low post production is the real weakness of this team but we are still getting it done and still at the top of the conference standings. Let's hope we can put 2 more wins on the board in the next 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    We need to get more low post production. We are simply ignoring the Plumlees on the offensive end. Va Tech was over playing the three and as a result we had a tough outing beyond the arc. Greenberg's stategy was obviously to stop the 3, which I think was very smart. We shot 6-24 from beyond the arc and it was not because we just missed shots. Their defense was good outside because they weren't guarding us down low. Curry had more shots than Miles, Mason and Kelly combined. The lack of a low post production is the real weakness of this team but we are still getting it done and still at the top of the conference standings. Let's hope we can put 2 more wins on the board in the next 2 games.
    Mason touched the ball quite a few times today but was immediately double teamed. His footwork simply hasn't advanced to a level to be able to consistently attack the basket out of a double team.

Instant Capel Feedback

I'm listening to Capel's Instant Feedback session on Duke Radio.

Said Miles was terrific, playing really well. That he looks up to Zoubs. He said that Mason needs to get it going, but he thought that he did some really good things in OT.

They want TT to take open looks, but they really like his defensive intensity. He did a lot of good things today.

Josh has a concussion, which is why he didn't play the rest of the game. They will be cautious, but they said they missed his energy on the bench. They also like how he brings energy on the court, talks on D, etc. Said he was like TT in the post a bit.

Capel says the team has a strong desire to win. He's talking up our schedule and the 25 wins. Really proud of winning on an afternoon we weren't our best, and get ready for Wake now. He says they know their team and they need the guys to be consistent, but to be fresh...as fresh as possible physically...at this time of the year. Mentally, too. Rest, eating right, taking days off...to get away. He says they plan to come back Monday to prepare for Wake. It's a quick-turnaround game on Tuesday night.

I'm missing stuff I'm sure, but there's some of the highlights.

Also getting blocked

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Mason touched the ball quite a few times today but was immediately double teamed. His footwork simply hasn't advanced to a level to be able to consistently attack the basket out of a double team.
    He was alone inside at the basket twice and brought the ball up over his head twice and got blocked. He could have kept the defender away from the ball if he had anticipated that. He did get extremely active late in the game and that was a much needed part of the win.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    While I gave them a big break today for the emotional and physical let down, it will have to get better soon, with the possibility of 3 games in three days in the ACC tourney and similar 1 day off turnarounds in the NCAA tourney. Given the travel schedule, I don't think that the Physical let down will be an issue, but they came out really sloppy in the first half emotionally, with a lot of lazy plays on offense, both in transition and in the half court. If I were coaching this team, that's what I'd be harping on them about tomorrow and would be challenging them big time to come out with intensity against Wake early. In fact, If they get caught looking ahead to Carolina in the first half against Wake, I'll be extremely disappointed after this big lesson today.
    Agree with most everything you said, and very insightful analysis regarding both team's last week coming into this game. Regarding the potential for 3-games in 3-days in the ACC tourney and 1-day-off turnarounds in the NCAAs, however, there is a big difference in both situations in that your opponents in those venues are in the same boat as you.

Gutsy win today. This team has really been growing a lot in recent weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Tina View Post
    I'm listening to Capel's Instant Feedback session on Duke Radio.

Said Miles was terrific, playing really well. That he looks up to Zoubs. He said that Mason needs to get it going, but he thought that he did some really good things in OT.

They want TT to take open looks, but they really like his defensive intensity. He did a lot of good things today.

Josh has a concussion, which is why he didn't play the rest of the game. They will be cautious, but they said they missed his energy on the bench. They also like how he brings energy on the court, talks on D, etc. Said he was like TT in the post a bit.

Capel says the team has a strong desire to win. He's talking up our schedule and the 25 wins. Really proud of winning on an afternoon we weren't our best, and get ready for Wake now. He says they know their team and they need the guys to be consistent, but to be fresh...as fresh as possible physically...at this time of the year. Mentally, too. Rest, eating right, taking days off...to get away. He says they plan to come back Monday to prepare for Wake. It's a quick-turnaround game on Tuesday night.

I'm missing stuff I'm sure, but there's some of the highlights.
    Sorry to hear about the concussion for Josh--it's important to be careful with concussions, but I hope he isn't out too long. Even short minutes for Josh can be really valuable in terms of rest and avoiding foul trouble for the other bigs. And I hope Tyler doesn't also turn up with concussion symptoms after that screen.

VT really took the 3 away from us today. They were the anti-Heels in that they know how to guard the perimeter.

There were a couple of bad misses on the front ends of one-and-ones that will hurt us in middle March if we continue to do that.

As far as the tired legs are concerned, we have the AAC tourney coming up and then the dance. Tired legs can't be an issue. I thought that's why K likes to schedule tough early games with lots of travel. That can't be an excuse.

Gotta love the fact that we pulled this one out, though. Couple of weeks ago, we didn't seem to know how to win these.

Last point, the final foul on Kelly was big. Not only was it questionable, but it negated a late three by Curry which he canned on the play. That foul isn't called, the game isn't in OT.

On to Wake and then the rematch at home. Fun week coming up.

GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Agree with most everything you said, and very insightful analysis regarding both team's last week coming into this game. Regarding the potential for 3-games in 3-days in the ACC tourney and 1-day-off turnarounds in the NCAAs, however, there is a big difference in both situations in that your opponents in those venues are in the same boat as you.

Gutsy win today. This team has really been growing a lot in recent weeks.
    I agree with this 99%, which is a big part of the reason that I don't think the physical part will be a big deal, but you can still have an emotional letdown when the other team doesn't. That part will be huge. The 1% is that the opponents will be in the same boat in potential second round/elite eight games, but Greensboro is a Friday/Sunday, and if Duke gets the fourth 1 seed and has to go out west, that is a Thursday regional. The two west coast subregionals are also Thursday/Saturday. The champion of the mountain west could easily get a 4/5 seed in either Portland or Albuquerqu. Duke will then be playing a team like New Mexico or UNLV in Phoenix on 3 days rest vs. 4 days rest and with the MWC team not having made a cross country flight. UNLV has the best resume out of the bunch right now, despite being a game behind New Mexico in the standings. That would be a scary matchup given those travel/rest circumstances. Of coarse that is the nightmare scenario and a lot would have to happen to make it come true, but in the Sweet 16 especially, our opponent might not be in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I want to give Duke a huge break in this game for a lot of effort and energy stats. I know the commentator harped a lot on rest and "tired legs" for Duke, but this is not like when Lenny Elmore does it. I talked about this in the in game thread, but it's worth mentioning again. Va Tech had just about every single intangible and physical advantage you could have. Physically, Duke had one day of rest to travel in from Florida, while Va Tech had three days rest to come in from Blacksburg. Going back further, Duke had a trip that went Boston-Durham-Tallahassee-Durham in just 7 days, while Tech, while Tech had 2 home games before this in the last 8 days. Also, Duke had to go with a 3 man big guy rotation with Hairston's injury. This was a game where they really could have used him in spurts to give the other guys more rest. That's a huge physical advantage. Intangibly, Duke came off an emotional revenge win against a team it beat by 15 on the road and Tech was coming off a tough rivalry loss (which definitely has its own emotional toll), but had the revenge factor themselves. With the exception of Va Tech's recent in-state rivalry game, that's just about every physical and intangible advantage a team can have, not to mention that the game went an extra 5 minutes. So for those reasons, it's hard to criticize things like poor shooting, missing a lot of free throws early in OT, giving up a ton of offensive boards (including one that could have lost the game on the last possession), and allowing Va Tech to dominate the 50-50 ball battle.
    I think you're dead on here. The table was set very well for us to drop this one. Makes it all more the more impressive that we pulled this one out.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    When can VT move to the Big Ten?
    VT and FSU are the most brutally physical teams in the conference. And we just played them back to back on a day's switch. What a great test, what resolve to win them both.

Very proud of the team, hope Jiggy is fine and recovers well/quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    VT and FSU are the most brutally physical teams in the conference. And we just played them back to back on a day's switch. What a great test, what resolve to win them both.
    I agree; but I find it interesting that the same could said for the other expansion teams, BC and Miami. All 4 play excessively physical basketball IMO, often leading to ugly, bruising, low-scoring affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I agree; but I find it interesting that the same could said for the other expansion teams, BC and Miami. All 4 play excessively physical basketball IMO, often leading to ugly, bruising, low-scoring affairs.
    "Big East come South"

I'm very happy that Duke is 13-3 in games decided by single digits. That shows that they know how to make winning plays late. Today's game was pretty much the mirror image of the Miami game (at least late since Duke wasn't down double digits today) and Duke found a way to win this one whereas they lost the Miami game. Good job guys!

This was the trap game and we escaped.

Kudos to the team for finding a way to win without our best stuff. We had no legs today, but hung in for the win.

Thank God for our outstanding free throw defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Excellent win. A lot of things went wrong but somehow our guys gutted this one out. One crucial point in particular - Thornton is clothes-lined out of bound but refs call it a turnover - vpi comes down and hits a bank 3. Most teams would have folded after that so fans could whine about officiating later. This team somehow managed to keep themselves in it and put themselves in a position to win. That is a real tribute to this team.

Mason had a pretty poor game in the first 39 minutes, but his offensive board at the end of regulation and his domination of the boards in overtime were huge - Miles too.

Again, excellent win.
    I am not sure how this was ," an excellent" win?, Yes we won and played good defense in the OT, but to call this an excellent win, I do not think so.Virginia Tech is 15-14 and 4-10 in the ACC, will not make the tournament and we were at home.