Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Maybe he is like Derek Zoolander and can't go left?

Or perhaps and this is far more probable, it is just a skill that he needs to work on. He is only a freshman and of course all players have a dominant hand they want to get to if they can. Austin is so good off the bounce he generally can get to his right. The problem is with shot blockers. I think over time he will learn and make the adjustments. I'm not too terribly worried about it. He finishes more times than not.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

He finishes with the left far more now than he did. Still a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Indeed; and work is a key word here. I've seen enough of Austin to realize that he really works hard on his game.
    Austin has made major improvement in his all-around game since coming to Duke last summer.
    If there are areas that need further development, like finishing with the left hand, I have no doubt he will go after it.

Thread Nitpicking Deficiencies In Duke's Best Player And Leading Scorer

Can we combine all of these threads into one? Austin Rivers has to be the most maligned leading scorer for Duke Basketball by his own fans in recent memory.

His whole life he could fly through the lane and finish with his dominant hand without much of a contest because he was just that much better than everyone else. Hard to break a life long habit in 6 months.

Just think it is a time and confidence issue. With more work he will develop the skill and confidence to finish with his left in a game. He seems to be doing pretty well without the skill now

I bet he can't cook an omelette to save his life.

A good one, I mean.

As far as what he does on the court, I assume Doc probably did more than roll a ball out in the driveway and tell Austin to learn it all himself. Kid's probably had an instructor and coach along the way who knew what he was doing. Maybe even more than one.

But I'm more concerned about the omelette, because I'm getting hungry and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hmmm, can't say I recall any times he's actually finished with his left hand. He does beat his man off the dribble to the left more than we were led to believe, but I always see him finish with the right, which means he's got the ball in an awkward almost underhand position and he has to twist his body in a strange fashion. All of this means the rim as well as his body are no longer shielding the ball from either the defender he's just beaten or those coming from his right.

Having said all of this, I'm not sure now is the time to be monkeying with a technique he is used to doing over and over again. We'd all go ballistic if in a one point game he snapped some defenders ankle's, got to the rim and then blew the lay-up because he was thinking about how he should put up the shot.

When will the Plumlees learn to finish the Thunder Dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When will the Plumlees learn to finish the Thunder Dumb?
    They really miss on purpose. It's an intimidation factor, no defender would dare stick their hand anywhere near the rim, for fear of getting it ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    He does beat his man off the dribble to the left more than we were led to believe, but I always see him finish with the right, which means he's got the ball in an awkward almost underhand position and he has to twist his body in a strange fashion. All of this means the rim as well as his body are no longer shielding the ball from either the defender he's just beaten or those coming from his right.
    This is all true, but it's possible he finishes more with his right because he's already twisted his body into an awkward, almost underhanded position. Once he slithers past the helping big men, I've noticed he goes a little deep when he's on the left side. Whether he does that so he can use his right hand or whether he uses his right hand because of where he's located, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I agree, bur Rivers' shooting style might be a real impediment to a mid-range game, which we never see from him, in contras to most all big time guards.
    Is it fair to nitpick that his form might also be an impediment to his free throw shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I bet he can't cook an omelette to save his life.

A good one, I mean.
    Can we please stop maligning Austin's culinary shortcomings... It's not easy to cook a good omelette. There are a lot of factors involved—the right pan, the right amount of fat, the proper heat on the fat, the correct roll and flip wrist motion... And, of course, fresh eggs...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    Can we please stop maligning Austin's culinary shortcomings... It's not easy to cook a good omelette. There are a lot of factors involved—the right pan, the right amount of fat, the proper heat on the fat, the correct roll and flip wrist motion... And, of course, fresh eggs...
    If you limit yourself to cheddar, you're missing out. Gruyere, feta, maybe even a cream cheese with dill.

But I can tell that Austin doesn't get it. Anyone who kicks his leg out on a jump shot like that must not get the nuances.

Hard to believe that the son of an NBA coach who plays for K, and is the first-freshman-to-lead-us-in-scoring since Johnny Dawkins, is so fundamentally flawed.

He wouldn't even make sous-chef or saucier at a two-star. Seriously.

(But damn, he's gonna be able to buy a few for the home kitchen!)

Driving to the basket by Austin

I've watched a lot of Duke basketball and I have to say that may be the best Duke guard that I've ever seen drive to the basket. OK There is Jwill. But I think they are 1-2.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I've watched a lot of Duke basketball and I have to say that may be the best Duke guard that I've ever seen drive to the basket. OK There is Jwill. But I think they are 1-2.
    Kyrie Irving = #1

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post

I agree... but I think Austin is much better at this stage of his career in taking it to the hoop than was JWill. In fact, I think Austin is better at breaking his defender down now than JWill was his Jr. year. Austin's first step is better and his handle is a bit better. JWill was stronger and a more powerful finisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Kyrie Irving = #1
    Agree. Everyone else in a different class. Kyrie finished with both hands and finished strong. Was even a very good free throw shooter. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Agree. Everyone else in a different class. Kyrie finished with both hands and finished strong. Was even a very good free throw shooter. GoDuke!
    Different class? No way... Austin's first step is quicker than Kyrie's. Kyrie is better at changing pace, but I would put Kyrie, Austin and JWill in same league with Austin and Kyrie at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Different class? No way... Austin's first step is quicker than Kyrie's. Kyrie is better at changing pace, but I would put Kyrie, Austin and JWill in same league with Austin and Kyrie at the top.
    Yeh you're probably correct. Kyrie, Austin and J-Will are in the same class. Might want to throw Bobby Hurley in there as well. But I think Kyrie was the best even if by the smallest of margins. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Yeh you're probably correct. Kyrie, Austin and J-Will are in the same class. Might want to throw Bobby Hurley in there as well. But I think Kyrie was the best even if by the smallest of margins. GoDuke!
    How did we miss Hurley? He's in the discussion too! I just didn't get to see Kyrie play enough in college to make a determination as to whether he's better than the others. He's amazing though...