Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    BTW: I also have it on good authority that he tends to castle too early in chess. Pathetic.
    Better too early than too late.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

BTW: I also have it on good authority that he tends to castle too early in chess. Pathetic.
    He took 1:03 to play chopin's minute waltz....not sure how he lives with himself.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If you limit yourself to cheddar, you're missing out. Gruyere, feta, maybe even a cream cheese with dill.

But I can tell that Austin doesn't get it. Anyone who kicks his leg out on a jump shot like that must not get the nuances.

Hard to believe that the son of an NBA coach who plays for K, and is the first-freshman-to-lead-us-in-scoring since Johnny Dawkins, is so fundamentally flawed.

He wouldn't even make sous-chef or saucier at a two-star. Seriously.

(But damn, he's gonna be able to buy a few for the home kitchen!)
    Nothing wrong with a solid aged cheddar, though I was under the impression that we were talking about a plain omelette, given that we're talking about a pure display of skill here. I have to agree with the idea of a cheese with a bit more flavor kick, such as feta. I myself like a nice Gouda—melts nicely, and adds a divinely creamy flavor.

Agree on the leg-kick comment... It's the habit of one who likely tends to cover up his omelette mishaps with a handful of chopped parsley or some other garnish camouflage. Based on his interviews, however, I'd say Austin is definitely qualified for front-of-the-house.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971
    Appalling! Hadn't heard this one, davekay1971. I'll bet he's too aggressive with the queen, too...

I was playing chess on an East Campus bench once, and was accused of cheating for using an en passant move. We literally had to walk over to the East Campus Library to find a rule book.

Austin is so fast and nasty when initiating an offensive attack, he is allowed to use that move anywhere, anytime. With any piece, which is uber-nasty.

"See, the king stay the king. Aight? Everything stay who he is."

Austin strikes me as the sort of dude who would open with the King's Indian Defense. The man likes to roll the dice, and the second half is where a lot of the war is waged.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Austin strikes me as the sort of dude who would open with the King's Indian Defense. The man likes to roll the dice, and the second half is where a lot of the war is waged.
    Austin "No Gambit Declined" Rivers.

Karo-Kann couldn't double team Austin if you spotted them an open file.

I'd call him Austin "Spassky" Rivers, but the nickname doesn't really translate well to hoops.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 02-26-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Austin "No Gambit Declined" Rivers.

Karo-Kann couldn't double team Austin if you spotted them an open file.

I'd call him Austin "Spassky" Rivers, but the nickname doesn't really translate well to hoops.
    How about Austin "Deep Thought" Rivers. Maybe more fitting given the cold blooded way he dispatches opponents. Also, watching him dribble and consider his options before that destruction of Carolina, he may very well have been looking 11 moves into the future of the game.

Checkmate, Rivers...

Checkmate, Rivers
    Much better than Harrison Barnes' catch phrase:

"Game, Blouses"

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    This is a really bad habit causing him to get his shot blocked more than necessary. I wonder why the coaching staff hasn't worked with him on this issue.
    Finishing wih his right, particularly when driving even slightly right to left, brings the ball up to shooting directly in the midle of the defender, right past the middle of his face, and then lightly over the middle of his head. How does the defender get a hand on such a shot? Even tryng will almost always draw a foul. If it doesn't, it is a surprisingly easy shot to make. However, Rivers takes serious pounding because he uses this finish as often as he does.

Finishing left for a guy Rivers' size and girth would expose the ball to a big taking it out of the air without coming anywhere near River's body. If Rivers is coming from an acute angle towards the right side I believe he finishes with his left.

A bigger, stronger guy guarded by a big coming from the right to left with a similarly sized defender on him will or should almost always finish left. There's a lot of width there, a much higher release point distant from the defender, and as easy as a layup when done at the rim. When done old-school from three or four feet out with an extended sweeping arm, high release point, and upward direction off the backboard, the shot is extremely easy to master and extremely accurate. Miles made one yesterday. That shot, a common feature in the 60's into the 70s, when a fair number of players used it wth either hand, is a lost art. Funny thing, you hardly ever see a player dunk with his off hand. Princeton, when it has had an undersized pivot, the pivot almost always has and frequently uses an old school hook going either way.

Funny, you almost never see a player on any level finish with his off hand. I can't remember even seeing one when I've watched a dunk contest.

"See, the king stay the king. Aight? Everything stay who he is."
    Still dislike Herc everytime I watch that show for his actions thr led to Randy getting out back in a group home.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Still dislike Herc everytime I watch that show for his actions thr led to Randy getting out back in a group home.
    Herc is an ugly butterfly with incredibly far-reaching effects in S4 isn't he? Randy, of course, but also tipping Marlo off to the police surveilance, getting Little Kevin in trouble, firing Snoop's power drill into the street, screwing up the case for the Homicide police, abandoning Bubbles and upseting him to the degree that he puts him on the Reverend's car, roughing up the Reverend. This is just off the top of my head. There's surely more.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Herc is an ugly butterfly with incredibly far-reaching effects in S4 isn't he? Randy, of course, but also tipping Marlo off to the police surveilance, getting Little Kevin in trouble, firing Snoop's power drill into the street, screwing up the case for the Homicide police, abandoning Bubbles and upseting him to the degree that he puts him on the Reverend's car, roughing up the Reverend. This is just off the top of my head. There's surely more.
    I'm currently rewatching S4 and I think you've nailed them all. And he's also the one who alerted the press about Hamsterdam in S3.