Andre Dawkins's Defense vs. UNC - Play by Play

When I went back and charted this game, I had already read all the posts lamenting Andre's limited PT and many posters' feeling that it had to be tied to his poor defense in the game, because we sure could've used his shooting in the first half. I wanted to see if the game tape provided evidence for that or not. While, as mentioned in another thread, his overall defensive numbers were not strong, in a close review of the game what I mainly saw was Andre doing OK with the physical part of the defensive game, but once again, too many lack of effort plays and lack of hustle plays, and those are simply not tolerated by K. That is what got him the quick hook and so little PT altogether. In the first half, K gave him a number of opportunities to get his head in the game at the defensive end, and he just didn't do it. I don't understand it.

I will say though that K did give him one chance in the second half and Andre did not make (at least in my eyes) any defensive errors, yet he got yanked quickly again, never to return. Trying to make sense of this, maybe it's because we were clicking offensively in the second half, so K didn't feel like he needed Andre's shooting and didn't want to take a chance on him reverting to his first half defensive form. Just thinking out loud.

Here's what I marked down in terms of the plays he was involved in:

1st defensive possession: Marshall on the left wing, drives past AD into the lane, ends up with a very tough scoop shot, but it goes. Not great D but ended up forcing a tough shot.

13:46 of 1st half: UNC on a runout, Marshall kicks to Hairston, Andre runs at him and forces a miss.

13:03 - AD on Barnes. Andre loafs and allows Barnes position for a deep catch, but then he forces a very tough fadeaway. Not great effort in allowing the catch, but then solid pressure after it.

12:38 - pass-ahead by Marshall on the break, Miles is screaming and pointing from the backcourt, apparently at Andre, to pick up Zeller as Zeller was running down the middle of the floor. No pickup. Layup for Zeller. Miles could've been yelling at Cook, but I think it was being directed at Andre. Andre is sub'd out after this apparent either mental error or just lack of court awareness gave UNC its easiest bucket of the night. Lots of groans after this one.

Andre's second run:
    11:06 - Barnes goes by him for a very make-able shot in the lane; misses.
    10:52 - Andre fails to even try to box out Bullock. McAdoo misses, but Bullock gets an easy putback.
    9:55 - Marshall goes by him one-on-one to the hoops, and draws a shooting foul on Andre.
    Andre is pulled again after this short stint.

Andre's third run:
    5:15 - Marshall drives on him, kicks to Bullock for a 3 over Rivers. K is pissed after this one, calls a TO.

Andre sees only one more defensive possession here, on which he boxes Watts and Watts gets called for an over-the-back. Good.

4th run: last minute of the first half. Nothing of note happens.

Second half:

Enters at 13:44.
    12:08 - forces Barnes to shoot an airball from 18 feet on the wing.
    10:58 - subbed out, doesn't return.

What do y'all think?

Dawkins

He needs to have plays ran for him early, get some good shots off, get him feeling good about his game early.

Thanks for putting this together tommy. Your detailed rundown affirms my recollection/belief that Coach K may have been a little too harsh in benching Andre this time.

Yes he made mistakes, but we must also consider that everything is relative: The rest of our guards were being annihilated on the defensive end as well.

With Kelly out for a stretch, I feel that Coach K would benefit from giving Andre a fresh chance and a longer leash. Given his shooting ability, he should at least be afforded the same chance to succeed (or fail) as the other guards.

My two cents.

It would be interesting to observe his work on the offensive end. When he is own he is moving a lot without the ball looking for screens to come off of and looking for his shot. When he isn't he stands or floats on the perimeter, finds an occassionally screen and gets a shot or two, but it isn't in any kind of rhythm with the offense.

My sense that the defensive lapses ususally go hand in hand with the issues on the offensive end at times. I certainly haven't put the work in to break down the tape of the unc game because I honestly want to detonate that tape with so heavy explosives but it is what it is. Dawkins' mental lapses are well documented and I don't necessarily feel K pulled him too quickly if he continuously failed to bring anything offensively and then wasn't particuarly stellar on the defensive end.

Here is hoping he gets into a groove in the ACC Tournament because without Ryan Kelly, it would be nice to have Dawkins out there and playing well.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    It would be interesting to observe his work on the offensive end. When he is own he is moving a lot without the ball looking for screens to come off of and looking for his shot. When he isn't he stands or floats on the perimeter, finds an occassionally screen and gets a shot or two, but it isn't in any kind of rhythm with the offense.

My sense that the defensive lapses ususally go hand in hand with the issues on the offensive end at times. I certainly haven't put the work in to break down the tape of the unc game because I honestly want to detonate that tape with so heavy explosives but it is what it is. Dawkins' mental lapses are well documented and I don't necessarily feel K pulled him too quickly if he continuously failed to bring anything offensively and then wasn't particuarly stellar on the defensive end.

Here is hoping he gets into a groove in the ACC Tournament because without Ryan Kelly, it would be nice to have Dawkins out there and playing well.
    I think this is a really good explanation. when Andre is determined to get open, he does and he scores. When he's not cutting hard off of screens, teams have game-planned for him specifically and they know how to stop him. The effort he brings is all on him. And yes, his effort on one end of the floor affects it on the other end too.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    When I went back and charted this game, I had already read all the posts lamenting Andre's limited PT and many posters' feeling that it had to be tied to his poor defense in the game, because we sure could've used his shooting in the first half. I wanted to see if the game tape provided evidence for that or not. While, as mentioned in another thread, his overall defensive numbers were not strong, in a close review of the game what I mainly saw was Andre doing OK with the physical part of the defensive game, but once again, too many lack of effort plays and lack of hustle plays, and those are simply not tolerated by K. That is what got him the quick hook and so little PT altogether. In the first half, K gave him a number of opportunities to get his head in the game at the defensive end, and he just didn't do it. I don't understand it.

I will say though that K did give him one chance in the second half and Andre did not make (at least in my eyes) any defensive errors, yet he got yanked quickly again, never to return. Trying to make sense of this, maybe it's because we were clicking offensively in the second half, so K didn't feel like he needed Andre's shooting and didn't want to take a chance on him reverting to his first half defensive form. Just thinking out loud.

What do y'all think?
    I believe you may have nailed the reason for Coach K's quick trigger with Andre. Coach K is never going to allow loafing or lack of hustle. Most coaches are the same way, but Coach K wants to see effort. I've seen Andre get upset this year because of refs calls against him, because a team mate did not pass the ball to him when he thought he was open and he gets upset when he's removed from the game. This has led to a lack of defense on his part and I believe that when Coach K talks about players letting their offense affect their defense he's talking about Andre. Not that he's the only one doing this, but I believe he see it most in Andre. I'm hoping to see Andre kick into another gear during the tournament. Not only scoring but in all phases of the game. Blocking out, defending, passing and getting on the floor for loose balls. I can't remember seeing Andre dive on the floor for a loose ball in his years at Duke. I suppose he has, but not enough for me to remember. GoDuke!

Time for Andre to channel his inner 2010 ACCT Andre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...pXd5s0g#t=171s

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    He needs to have plays ran for him early, get some good shots off, get him feeling good about his game early.
    I cannot understand how this has become the Andre ostinato. I've seen it echoed from so many different people, but would just running a couple early plays for Dre magically correct every other part of his game? It seems like a bit of a non sequitur to me. Is Andre's ego really so fragile and brittle that his entire performance -- level of effort, intensity, focus, and consistency -- changes on a night to night basis depending on his first two minutes of basketball? It is as if people think he will be either completely crushed and demoralized, or buoyed with a supreme confidence, and there is just no way for anybody -- not even Dre himself -- to know beforehand. That is, until after two minutes of basketball, when the issue is instantly decided by whether or not Andre has a few set plays run for him.

I just don't get it. I mean, offense isn't even the problem with Andre, anyway. It's his defense.

Confidence and focus may be the issue, but if that is the case, it is not going to be solved by simply putting the ball in his hands the moment he steps on the court. Any change on this issue needs to come from Andre himself -- from his own drive, work, and practice. There is no magic fix.

Bothered

Im starting to get bothered by AD's lack of playing time. I keep hearing its his lack of defense or hustle but if you watched the first half Saturday, no one played d or hustled. UNC got whatever shot they wanted. I think its something more to AD getting yanked quck than just lack of hustle or poor defense.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Im starting to get bothered by AD's lack of playing time. I keep hearing its his lack of defense or hustle but if you watched the first half Saturday, no one played d or hustled. UNC got whatever shot they wanted. I think its something more to AD getting yanked quck than just lack of hustle or poor defense.
    THis may be obvious and discussed previously in other threads, but perhaps the short leash K gives Andre is because Dawkins' lapses in games mirror those in practice. If in practice Andre displays a lack of hustle and tendency toward mental mistakes, K could be frustrated with him going into the game and thus the quick hook. We see one mistake and wonder why he gets pulled, but what K is seeing is another in a longer series of mistakes.

I mean, offense isn't even the problem with Andre, anyway. It's his defense.???

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I cannot understand how this has become the Andre ostinato. I've seen it echoed from so many different people, but would just running a couple early plays for Dre magically correct every other part of his game? It seems like a bit of a non sequitur to me. Is Andre's ego really so fragile and brittle that his entire performance -- level of effort, intensity, focus, and consistency -- changes on a night to night basis depending on his first two minutes of basketball? It is as if people think he will be either completely crushed and demoralized, or buoyed with a supreme confidence, and there is just no way for anybody -- not even Dre himself -- to know beforehand. That is, until after two minutes of basketball, when the issue is instantly decided by whether or not Andre has a few set plays run for him.

I just don't get it. I mean, offense isn't even the problem with Andre, anyway. It's his defense.

Confidence and focus may be the issue, but if that is the case, it is not going to be solved by simply putting the ball in his hands the moment he steps on the court. Any change on this issue needs to come from Andre himself -- from his own drive, work, and practice. There is no magic fix.
    Take a look at how many players getting 10 minutes or more in games and score 0 points. Andre has several games... no free throws, no threes... Nada!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    THis may be obvious and discussed previously in other threads, but perhaps the short leash K gives Andre is because Dawkins' lapses in games mirror those in practice. If in practice Andre displays a lack of hustle and tendency toward mental mistakes, K could be frustrated with him going into the game and thus the quick hook. We see one mistake and wonder why he gets pulled, but what K is seeing is another in a longer series of mistakes.
    Yup. Look, it's obvious that Dre has a shorter leash than some other players do. One can either assume that this is a completely arbitrary and capricious decision by K, or that there's a reason for it. I'll assume the latter, especially when we're talking about a kid that's been in the program for 3 years.