Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Andre with a brilliant opening stanza tonight in Tallahassee. He looked like Reggie in the fourth quarter against the Knicks (not sure which game; they were all like that). He has no pulse. Five threes on the road in six tries, during the most important 20-minute stretch of the season to that point for Duke, is just cold blooded. And Andre really worked to get himself those opportunities. Against a stiflingly pestering defense like Florida State, you earn every last point you get. And Andre just picked it to pieces. Like it was just another team chosen by free throws at the Y. Sensational.

We've been talking all year about needing to rediscover that swagger that made many of our more successful teams so menacing and unpleasant to play in the '90s, and boy have we found it. Propelled by the three-headed perimeter monster that is Rivers, Dawkins and Curry, these kids are beginning to play with the all-out intrepidity of those earlier Blue Devil juggernauts and aren't afraid to let their emotions ignite their games (or vice versa). There is nothing wrong with letting a little in-your-face bravado creep into your game from time to time, just to remind your opponent that you play for Duke and that they do not. That strut was back tonight. Andre's wickedly sly nod to the mob of jeerers filling the Leon County Civic Center after his last triple of the first half was the prettiest thing I've seen since J.J. was doing it to Sean Marshall in the ACC championship game. Sweet memories.

Fabulous game...

So many highlights but, other than Andre's first-half shooting, favorite moments were Austin's steal and the drive and dish to Miles at the end. Austin just gets better and better...

Dean Wanted the 3-Point Shot

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Half of the inside Carolina thread is a discussion about why there should be no three point shot in college basketball
    Not exactly, but almost. But I remember an interview with Dean shortly after the UNC-UVa fiasco in the ACC Finals in 1982 or 1983. Millions of viewers got to see UNC hold the ball for much of the game because UVa was in a zone and UNC had a one-point lead. These were arguably the two best college teams in the land. Something had to be done.

Dean responded to a question about introducing a shot clock to college by arguing that, if so, there needed to be a three-point shot to prevent the defenses from just packing it inside.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I did notice K did not leave the floor until the clock was at 0:00.
    Pitchforks for you my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This was a vintage Duke game in terms of defense. The defensive effort was consistent and effective throughout the game. While FSU is not an offensive juggernaut, Snaer, Dulkys and Gibson can put up the points, and they didn't.
    The fact that the defense has been regularly of late is probably the most encouraging sign for post-season expectations...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dre provided the big first half lead; Austin, Seth and Ryan took up the slack in the half. (You know, there is a little bit of Jon Scheyer savvy in Ryan Kelly.) Miles didn't put up dominant numbers, but he was very strong inside on both O and D.
    Several good contributions, but terrific to see AD truly finding his groove of late. But I've said for a while that Kelly is frequently the most savvy kid on the floor -- he does LOTS of things away from the ball that help his team win, like the chess player playing several moves ahead, he so often seems to be in just the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Rivers is a pretty tough cookie, and in that regard, he does remind me of Singler.
    I really agree. This kid just puts in his 33 minutes per game (highest among Frosh in ACC) and always maintains that stoic, sub-zero stare. Cold. Just tough, tough, tough!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Worth noting is that we came on strong from the opening tip, despite how raucous their crowd was. We did the same at UNC. Wish there was some way to have that kind of focus out of the gate when we play at home, but I guess it bodes well for our postseason aspirations. Would love for the ACC regular season to come down to our final game. There's still work for all three times until then, but it's shaping up to be a great final couple weeks of the conference season.
    I loved the initial focus and intensity. As you say, we gotta figure how to 'bring it' like that EVERY GAME. It almost seems inevitable now that it will come down to that final game in some shape or fashion. Funny that both NC@CH anf FSU have to play a solid top-20 UVA squad still.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Half of the inside Carolina thread is a discussion about why there should be no three point shot in college basketball
    That sounds like a solid argument for adding a 4-pt-line, don't you think... (maybe out at JJ or Langdon range ~ 25') ??

Great game all around guys!! Solid D and effort. Good win. And things are starting to "feel right" with this team...right on schedule.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.

It will be interesting to see what our defensive ranking does after tonight's game. Heck, if we moved up 5-10 spots without even playing yesterday, then we might be top 50 after tonight.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by brumby041 View Post
    Teddy Valentine was NOT going to be shown up by Karl Hess!
    I'm told Teddy tossed out Googs and Corchiani in absentia.

What's with the stare down of Miles on the blocking call? A player doing that would have been T'd up.

Obviously, a BIG, HUGE, ENORMOUS victory for the good guys tonight So many things to like - I thought the "D" was very solid - and consistently solid - for most of the game. Great to see Andre stroking it so well and I really do think that he plays much better, more focused on defense when he hits a shot or two early. Great three point shooting by the guards. HUGE shots by Rivers, Kelly and Curry down the stretch. Wow...just WOW!!!

I especially loved this one tonight - one of the sweeter conference road victories for me in a long, long time. Did you guys hear the F$U fans booing after Austin got up after being absolutely hammered into that table that was courtside? Stay classy, Tallahassee! And then there was that doofus Gibson who pounded his chest after he made that early dunk (Vitale called him out on hit, too) so it was just really nice to stick it to the 'Noles on their home court in front of a packed house.

One last thing, I am usually very quick to criticize officials and, well, sometimes I MIGHT be just a teeny, weeny bit biased, but tonight? Are you freakin' kidding me? That was some unbelievable home cookin', folks. And yes, Seth did take like 62 steps on that one play in the first half but come ON - Mason and Ryan's 2nd fouls were both complete jokes and then they let someone (Snaer maybe?) trip Austin right out in front of everybody with no call, then Austin gets hammered on that play where he hurt BOTH legs with no call, then Thornton gets fouled going for a loose ball on the sidelines with no call. I thought the refs were really, really bad tonight and very much favored FSU. Teddy V was in rare form and seemed like he couldn't WAIT to call something on Duke. In case you can't tell, I thought the refs (mostly Teddy V) were horrible tonight and could have seriously cost Duke the game so this win is just all the more SWEET!!!

Go Duke! No let down on Saturday against the bums from Blacksburg!

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    I'm told Teddy tossed out Googs and Corchiani in absentia.

What's with the stare down of Miles on the blocking call? A player doing that would have been T'd up.
    I preferred when he ran over and punched Tyler Thornton in the head while he was lying facedown on the ground. Pretty sure he was also screaming obscenities in Tyler's ear during that wicked judo chop.

Worst call of all was at the end of the first half when the defender jumped on top of Seth's back. At the very least that should have been a non-shooting foul. Just because the half is almost over doesn't mean you don't blow the whistle.

As for Seth's travel, I didn't really see a good replay. I thought he lost control of the ball before batting it over to Andre. At any rate, he was fouled about five times by the "trapping" defense prior to that so I figured it should balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Worst call of all was at the end of the first half when the defender jumped on top of Seth's back. At the very least that should have been a non-shooting foul. Just because the half is almost over doesn't mean you don't blow the whistle.

As for Seth's travel, I didn't really see a good replay. I thought he lost control of the ball before batting it over to Andre. At any rate, he was fouled about five times by the "trapping" defense prior to that so I figured it should balance it out.
    Just saw that replay on espn highlights. He was "only" fouled 3 times at mid-court by their "trapping" defense. He did take about 3 steps just before his assist to Dre. I agree. We'll call it a draw.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    I don't think Silent G got into the game tonight...
    He did. He played the last 28 seconds of the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He did. He played the last 28 seconds of the first half.
    Yeah, he made it into the boxscore, with "0" all across, except for Minutes where he had "0+", a notation I don't recall seeing before.
    Presumably it's a way of explaining that he played less than half a minute.

I don't think you can evaluate refs by looking at individual plays. They blow calls for both sides, but they don't do it on purpose so sometimes it doesn't entirely even out.

My issue with the reffing tonight was it was somewhat inconsistent. When a game is as physical as this one was, if the officiating is inconsistent the players don't know how much contact is permissible and they can end up in foul trouble if they guess wrong. Tonight there were several plays that looked the same but were called differently, and I think that's something the refs should do better. But in my opinion there's just no point in complaining about a particular blown call (like the trip on Austin or James's uncalled goaltend, etc, etc), or saying the officials were terrible. It's a really tough job and frankly even tonight they got most of them right.

Hamilton

Am I the only one who finds Hamilton hilarious to watch on the sidelines? He has some of the best facial expressions ever. Like when kelly got fouled in the first half on the three, he had the best expression ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I don't think you can evaluate refs by looking at individual plays. They blow calls for both sides, but they don't do it on purpose so sometimes it doesn't entirely even out.

My issue with the reffing tonight was it was somewhat inconsistent. When a game is as physical as this one was, if the officiating is inconsistent the players don't know how much contact is permissible and they can end up in foul trouble if they guess wrong. Tonight there were several plays that looked the same but were called differently, and I think that's something the refs should do better. But in my opinion there's just no point in complaining about a particular blown call (like the trip on Austin or James's uncalled goaltend, etc, etc), or saying the officials were terrible. It's a really tough job and frankly even tonight they got most of them right.
    You're probably right.

However, I think I'll stick with my impression of Teddy Valentine; he's inconsistent, overly dramatic, and doesn't particularly like Duke or Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2012 View Post
    Am I the only one who finds Hamilton hilarious to watch on the sidelines? He has some of the best facial expressions ever. Like when kelly got fouled in the first half on the three, he had the best expression ever.
    I had the same thought while watching him today. Some of those facial expressions were truly priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    Did K mention anything about they way the game was called?
    This was just the on court interview by Jeannine Edwards of ESPN.

I see calls made against us (or not made for us) every game that, to me, look wrong. I can be counted on to shout at the TV a few times per game about it. But I didn't have any more of those tonight than on other nights. I also pretty much never object when we get a favorable officiating decision. There were definitely calls made against us tonight where I didn't see a foul, but I bet if I reviewed the game objectively I'd come up with nearly as many made against FSU where I didn't see the foul.

My pet peeve is that I think just about every block should be called a charge instead. It seems like the rules are interpreted almost as if a defender has a duty to get out of the way if an offensive player is moving toward the basket, which I think is ridiculous.

That said, I thought this was our best game of the year in conference, and maybe the best in or out of conference (the Kansas win was also really impressive; this one obviously meantt more). The UNC win felt more like lady luck was on our side a bit. This one was contested and played with great determination and skill, along with some masterful game management by K dealing with the foul trouble.

Dawkins is my MOTM - he was just phenomenal. But I, too, really liked Miles tonight (and lately), and Austin has become the team's best player IMHO. He's an amazing athlete who plays on the edge, exciting to watch in a way that for me no one has been since JJ (and that was a very different skill set). I don't know how long we'll have him, but I'm hoping for a second year. Seth and Ryan are a little enigmatic to me - inconsistent, I guess. They each look impressive at times, make dumb turnovers or disappear at others. Ryan's 3s tonight were certainly very timely, but I think he had a late turnover, too.

I do think we're not all that deep. There's a dropoff after Mason-Miles-Ryan-Austin-Dre-Seth. Now those six are a heck of a lot better than most other teams' top six, which is why we've been so successful this season. But I'm always a little nervous when anyone else is in the game - not so much because they will make a dumb mistake as because I just don't think they are at or near the same level, especially offensively, and I don't think they are so good defensively that I'm willing to say their offense doesn't matter.

I guess from what people say Cook and G have potential, but I haven't seen much yet to confirm that in their limited minutes. Tyler has made some big plays for us but he's not someone I affirmatively want in the game when it's a critical moment. Josh hasn't progressed as much as I once thought he would. All those guys look like 4-year players, so they will get opportunities over time to prove themselves, but so far I think the comments that we aren't deep are accurate, especially at the 4-5 positions.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Another one of those frustrating "Why can't you do this more often?" Andre games, where we again see his
    incredible shooting ability, which we probably won't see for another few games. If only he could be more
    consistently good...

That was some of the worst officiating I've seen in a while. Not necessarily biased; just bad. A lot of
    obviously blown calls both ways (Leonard Hamilton didn't seem too happy with the refs either).

Nice to see Miles continue his late-Zoubs imitation; we'll gladly take 10 and 8 from him every game, including a
    few more of those nice little reverse layups and tap outs to open shooters (how come it takes players years to
    figure things like this out?).

The Miami loss is looking better and better in terms of a learning experience for the team. Since then, they have performed very well. I think the UNC game gave them a huge confidence boost, but the NC State comeback was an affirmation that they were good but could play "great" basketball. Tonight, they were able to get a win in a hostile environment against a team that had already beaten them. For all its flaws, this team has beaten five teams in the Top 15. Our defense is improving steadily, and the players seem to have the fire they were lacking at times earlier on in the season.

Special mention to Dawkins. He was on fire from the outside, but he also plays with greater intensity than he has before. He's working harder on the floor and it's great to see.

As for our dear Teddy Valentine, he is probably my least favorite referee around. He seems to be far more into the show than he is the game. I referee some high school basketball and have been told repeatedly to "sell your call" because it makes your job easier if you look like you know what you're doing. Valentine tries to sell every call. At times, it seems he makes a call just to see how well he can sell it to the crowd, coaches and players.

In the Kentucky-Miss St game, he called a foul on Mississippi State under their own basket on a rebound. He had danced over to the table demonstrably reporting the foul but never managed to see who was fouled. After reporting it, there was a discussion between the refs and players over who should be at the line Davis or Kidd-Gilchrist. Davis was at the line and the refs appeared happy with that until Dee Bost pointed out it should be Kidd-Gilchrist. If he hadn't been so concerned with his dramatic mechanics, he could have avoided the whole situation.