Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke 74, FSU 66 - Post-Game Thread

Great to win those 5-on-8 games. Gutty performance.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Great Win

Nice job tonight and Miles and Ryan did lots of great work to keep us on top. Go DUKE

Huge win! Great performance! Maybe this team has a chance to win that first round NCAA game.

A monster shooting night from behind the arc. Our bigs had to battle against foul trouble all night long so our guards went to work. Dawkins set the tone and Rivers played a very nice game as well.

I do like how our bigs stayed aggressive throughout the game though. A lot of times players get tentative and think too much in those situations.

Definitely a big win. Onto the next one.

Very impressive win by Duke. Thought the other 2 refs were fine, Ted Valentine was brutal. Dawkins, Rivers, Mi Plumlee were big time tonight. I wish we could get a free throw rebound tonight. Mason sure did struggle. Curry came on in the 2nd half which was great to see. Quick turnaround Saturday!

Proud

We really came to play tonight. Really gritty all game - Rivers hit a lot of key moment baskets. Andre was ridiculous. Miles is really starting to become the heart of the team - huge early spark.

Perhaps our best all around game since November. This was a 20 point win officiating aside.

I am really happy with the mental strength and confidence our guys played with tonight. Given the circumstances of atrocious reffing, a hungry (and oh-so classy) crowd, and an incredibly physical opponent playing for something...they played a great game. No nit-picking of the negatives tonight for me...just really fun to see our guys play a man's game tonight.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Very impressive win by Duke. Thought the other 2 refs were fine, Ted Valentine was brutal. Dawkins, Rivers, Mi Plumlee were big time tonight. I wish we could get a free throw rebound tonight. Mason sure did struggle. Curry came on in the 2nd half which was great to see. Quick turnaround Saturday!
    Teddy V was absolutely brutal tonight. He does love the spotlight, but I can't for the life of me understand why. He is wrong so often, not sure why you would want to point it out so blatantly!

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    Teddy V was absolutely brutal tonight. He does love the spotlight, but I can't for the life of me understand why. He is wrong so often, not sure why you would want to point it out so blatantly!
    Often wrong, but never in doubt. All in all a poorly officiated game. Plenty of calls that went Duke's way such as Seth's travel, but most of the blatant ones, such as the step on foot trip and rolling Austin out of bounds, were right in front of the official.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Often wrong, but never in doubt. All in all a poorly officiated game. Plenty of calls that went Duke's way such as Seth's travel, but most of the blatant ones, such as the step on foot trip and rolling Austin out of bounds, were right in front of the official.
    Read any teams message board after a game and you will learn that they just got hosed by the refs. I'm sure the FSU board -if they even have one for hoops - was replete with examples.

Our fans do it too but the only difference is that, in their minds, they are right. Oh wait, that really isn't a difference...

Oh yeah and Duke is also the team that annoucers are really biased against but everyone else is just paranoid

Turnovers

One of the keys of the game, in my opinion, was how well we would perform in the turnover battle. My man to watch was Seth Curry, who had 6 turnovers in the previous game and had to do better at FSU for us to win. We lost the TO battle 11 to 8, however, Seth only had one of those 11 and he handled the ball a lot throughout the game. With that kind of ball security against a top notch and aggressive defensive team, Seth becomes a force on the offensive end, since he can drive and dish or score and has a pull up game for mid range scoring along with the ability to hit the three.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Read any teams message board after a game and you will learn that they just got hosed by the refs. I'm sure the FSU board -if they even have one for hoops - was replete with examples.
    I just read the postgame thread on Tomahawk Nation (disclaimer: I have no idea what the 'best' FSU blog is but TN is their SB Nation site, which is a good go-to for a credible blog for pretty much every team other than Duke, as they don't link the DBR to SBN, which confuses me but this parenthetical has gone on long enough...) and there are about 3 posts about officiating, all relating to Curry's travel, which admittedly was one of the biggest blown calls I've ever seen. >95% of the thread basically says that FSU has no chance when teams bomb it like we did from three and credit to Duke for being on point for this game.

There are also a few mentions of how many of the fouls the Plumlees accumulated were not induced by 'anything FSU did' (re: the FSU fans subliminally realize we got hosed by the refs).

Conclusion: we REALLY got hosed by the refs, since the other team's fans aren't even complaining about the refs!

Edit: Just did a CTRL+F on their in-game thread (>500 comments), which revealed 5 instances of complaining about the refs. Two instances were then shot down by other posters. New conclusion: these guys don't know how to complain like basketball fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I just read the postgame thread on Tomahawk Nation...
    I'm curious as to whether anything was said on that board about Austin's being booed after his injury.

I thought Miles was The Man tonight. He brought a Gatling gun to a knife fight. Huge. We needed his minutes with Mason's foul trouble. FSU has an athletic front line and he matched them. Did all the dirty work.

Big win. Big, big, big win.

Duke FSU

Ditto, a couple key late baskets by Seth!

Another team effort 7-0 on the road in conference! Awesome
    Last edited by JBDuke; 02-23-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: corrected road record

Quote Originally Posted by gotoguy View Post
    Ditto, a couple key late baskets by Seth!

Another team effort 6-0 on the road in conference! Awesome
    Seth seemed jittery early - which makes stepping up all the more special

Teddy Valentine was NOT going to be shown up by Karl Hess!

Either our defense improved dramatically, or they suck at offense. Still, great win and great hustle all over the floor tonight. We played with confidence at every position. Also, I was really impressed with our ability to survive FSU's runs and keep the crowd out of the game. If we play like this every night we might win another game or two...

Tough

One word i thought was Tough..We were mentally & physically tough.

Tough, tough win at a tough place to play. I can't believe how bad Valentine is. If any of you have the game DVR'd, check out the loose ball along the sideline when Thornton gets called for the foul. Valentine is watching the ball roll along the side to see if it rolls out of bounds. He is not even looking when the contact occurs. Complete & total guess that he got wrong.

I don't know who grades the ACC officials, but Hess & Valentine must have compromising pictures of them. No other explanation as to why they still have jobs.