Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Miami NCAA Investigation

Mods feel free to move this wasn't sure if it belonged here or not

Can someone give me a brief Synopsis of what is going on with all of this NCAA investigation and Emmert. I got lost with this a long time ago

The NCAA released the results of an external review. They fired a few people, one resigned. NCAA is moving forward with their investigation.

It is a circus. With DBR's stance on the NCAA well known, I'm not sure why there isn't more coverage here.

Details at the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/1...-staffers.html

Read more about it here:

http://blog.allcanes.com/

http://blog.allcanes.com/donna-shala...tement-on-ncaa

This is about to get very, very interesting.

Another, from the AP: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ncaa-...eps-miami-case

From this story, it looks like the attorney, Maria Elena Perez, may have had a conflict of interest--one which Emmert needed to address before the NCAA could hit the re-start button on the Miami investigation. If the story is accurate, then legal ethics are at stake.

would new folks possibly DO something about the unc situation?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/sp...forcement.html

I have to say that Shalala has a good point in the Miami Herald article when she says that the entire investigation appears to be tainted, not to mention way overdue. Shalala's comments are obviously self serving, but I don't think that the NCAA can get away with with firing one person and then simply eliminating some of the evidence. The situation is too complicated for them to claim no harm no foul.
    Last edited by miramar; 02-18-2013 at 10:55 PM.

I guess what confuses me is Miami itself. Have they been cleared of all wrongdoing?? Seems weird to me that Miami is yelling at the NCAA I do understand that the NCAA oversteps and is usually on some type of power trip, but I think most if us are aware that nothing legitimate ever happens at the U

Still suspicious of how Haith got off without even a slap on the wrist. Tie that with the fact that he left abruptly 2 yrs ago from a team that he was building quite well, and my inner conspiracy theorist comes out

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    Still suspicious of how Haith got off without even a slap on the wrist. Tie that with the fact that he left abruptly 2 yrs ago from a team that he was building quite well, and my inner conspiracy theorist comes out
    This is the angle of UM's basketball season that is not being discussed enough, IMO. Haith and his two of his assistants have been protrayed as actively participating in a number of Shapiro's misdeeds, including funneling funds directly to players. Both Reggie Johnson and Durand Scott have sat out games for having been associated with misconduct. DeQuan Jones was suspended for an entire season.

Miami's success is a kind of good publicity for the ACC as it reinforces the idea (like FSU's winning the ACC Tourney last year) that there's more to the ACC than just Duke and UNC. But as the season progresses and the story (of their success) becomes more high profile...this is the angle that is going to be exposed more fully. As it should be. Should make, at the least, for an interesting Charles Barkley take during NCAA coverage.

There are still some coaches out there trying to play by the rules. Many of them not named Krzyzewski have a very difficult time getting talented kids to come to their schools when the competition is handing out cash (and strippers and whatever else was going on down in Miami, over at Ole Miss or up in Kentucky) like candy on Halloween.

I hope Miami gets the maximum punishment...and some focus appropriately put on the basketball team instead of just the storied football program.

Klem

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post

I hope Miami gets the maximum punishment...and some focus appropriately put on the basketball team instead of just the storied football program.

Klem
    A more reasonable take is that Miami should get the punishment that its misdeeds deserve. A strong Miami is good for the ACC. It's not clear the NCAA has much considering the main source is a ponzi scheme operator. And a reasonable person can conclude that 2 year bowl ban, 5 self imposed scholarship reduction, recruiting trip reduction, and 2.5 year investigation cloud that hurt recruiting fits the crime if it's really just dinners and drinks. We'll know more in the next few days.
    Last edited by Duke09; 02-19-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Duke09 View Post
    A more reasonable take is that Miami should get the punishment that its misdeeds deserve. A strong Miami is good for the ACC. It's not clear the NCAA has much considering the main source is a ponzi scheme operator. And a reasonable person can conclude that 2 year bowl ban, 5 self imposed scholarship reduction, recruiting trip reduction, and 2.5 year investigation cloud that hurt recruiting fits the crime if it's really just dinners and drinks. We'll know more in the next few days.
    If I'm not mistaken these self-imposed sanctions are directly related to the football program. My point is that there should also be collateral punishment for the equally egregious (if not worse) infractions in basketball recruiting. Perhaps UM is willing to forgore the NCAA hoops tournament as well? I mean, they're all about self-imposing sanctions, right?

(Convenient to pass up the ACC Football Championship game...which would have been absolute waxing at the hands of FSU. And I'm sure those same UM fans were distraught to not get their trip to Nashville or Charlotte for a bowl game. In fact UM probably saved 1M by not having to eat the costs.)

Color me not impressed with Miami's stance nor caring that getting duly punished might adversely affect the conference. I'm all for a competitive conference...so long as we play on equal footing. Like UNC's phantom majors, Miami has been enjoying an uneven advantage. I'd be happy for a Death Penalty. And then the ACC can add an extra year on top of what the NCAA hands down for good measure. There's precedent: Check Clemson's punishment circa 1984.

When investigating a bunch of cheating deceivers, the only inside sources you'll ever get are cheating deceivers.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    This thing is far from over, and early leaks were showing that Haith was about to get smacked pretty hard (personally, not Miami). Then this whole ethical mess started, so it is possible that he skates. I doubt it, but it is possible.

Not sure if you watched the ACC Championship game, but FSU barely beat a barely bowl-eligible GA Tech team that Miami had previously beat. And Miami lost out on funds from the bowl game, which would have been greater than $1,000,000.

Anyone calling for the death penalty is stuck in the 1980s. Miami's punishment should fit the crime, but very very few people still at the university are involved. The punishments handed out to Scott and Reggie Johnson were mild (5 and 1 game, respectively I believe). Haith and the coaches should be punished and I applaud the NCAAs recent direction in hammering coaches less so than players not involve, like almost the entire football team at this point. The football players involved so far got between 1-4 games suspensions last season. These don't seem to suggest that Miami deserves the death penalty if you have read beyond the initial Yahoo article and followed the investigation. I know it sucks to get blown out by UM this year, but that doesn't justify wanting a penalty so out of sorts with the actual infractions, and Duke supporters should be wary of jumping to punishments without proof. We'll likely know more soon.

Miami

My friends,

Frank Haith now at Missouri, is pending NCAA investigation into what he did there. Saw that about a couple weeks ago.
    I know the football team did not play bowl games the past 2 years.
    But he has done quite a bit. It is more than beer and pocket money.
    I understand that he paid 10K to a family to attract a player, which in itself very suspicious.
    I know one of the players was given a year suspension. Was this for academic, or an NCAA infracton? Can someone give me insight on this suspension, I think Durant, IMO. I may be wrong. Was it academic, or an NCAA ruling?
    It is my understanding that this will become of light in the future.
    Does not change anything, IMO.
    Cheating, buying, what have you. This Duke team with a strong Kelly would have done it this year.
    I find it depressing in what I have seen in an academic institution so far.
    The NCAA needs to be revamped. With new leaders, and a new plan that favors getting your degree! At 4 years!
    This a sore spot of mine. Especially after recent research of teams coming into the ACC, and their graduation rates.
    Anyway, have a nice day my friends.

Jimmy

Not sure if you watched the ACC Championship game, but FSU barely beat a barely bowl-eligible GA Tech team that Miami had previously beat. And Miami lost out on funds from the bowl game, which would have been greater than $1,000,000.

Anyone calling for the death penalty is stuck in the 1980s. Miami's punishment should fit the crime, but very very few people still at the university are involved. The punishments handed out to Scott and Reggie Johnson were mild (5 and 1 game, respectively I believe). Haith and the coaches should be punished and I applaud the NCAAs recent direction in hammering coaches less so than players not involve, like almost the entire football team at this point. The football players involved so far got between 1-4 games suspensions last season. These don't seem to suggest that Miami deserves the death penalty if you have read beyond the initial Yahoo article and followed the investigation. I know it sucks to get blown out by UM this year, but that doesn't justify wanting a penalty so out of sorts with the actual infractions, and Duke supporters should be wary of jumping to punishments without proof. We'll likely know more soon.
    Well, I'm not a Duke supporter so I will assume I am exempt from your direction.

FSU, who travels generally well (and among the top 3 within the ACC football schools) lost more than $500,000 on their trip to the ACC Championship game.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...16--ncaaf.html

I'm going to make a logical leap, here, and say that Miami would have had a worse financial performance than that. Ironically, FSU fans would have traveled better had the opponent been Miami - not GT - while we can assume that UM's fan support is flat, regardless the opponent.

FSU's result against GT is pointless for this discussion. GT has proven to give lots of teams problems on any given day. Head-to-Head in Miami FSU had already outclassed the 'Canes and there is no reasonable person who would have favored UM in a rematch. So, I say again, one of Miami's self-imposed sanctions was to avoid making a trip to Charlotte which likely would have cost their athletic department in excess of $500,000 to play a game against their arch-rival that they would have been a huge underdog in. Pardon me if that's a very convenient scenario for Miami.

Whatever bowl revenue that Miami gave up for post-season...I'm guessing (and it is only a guess) would have been offset by yet another loss to the athletic department's budget for unsold tickets and other forced commitments.

Miami's current basketball team has an average age of +23 years old. So, yes, punishing THIS year's UM basketball team would be entirely appropriate for transgressions committed under Frank Haith. This is, essentialy, the team that Frank Haith (and his assistants and Shapiro) bought. I especially like the picture of Shapiro 'creepin a night club in South Beach with two UM Assistan Hoops coaches looking on.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...83066/31355941
    A picture is worth a thousand words. I mean, c'mon, Chris Collins is regularly throwing down with boosters at strip clubs while schmoozing up AAU coaches, right?

I do not advocate the Death Penalty in this case, so I will remove my tongue from my cheek in retracting that part of my comment. However I firmly stand by my request that the ACC add an additional year of sanctions to whatever sanctions are imposed by the NCAA in keeping with past behavior. The only way that the ACC can keep its moral supremacy and maintain its spotless reputation is to insure that member institutions are held to a higher standard than the NCAA itself would commend. As John Swofford was AD at UNC during the time that UNC drove for "bonus" sanctions against Clemson I am sure that this will appeal to his past-demonstrated sense of righteousness.

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/20...es-ask-the-acc

Miami has been cooperating with the NCAA since they learned of the possible infractions. Miami went to the NCAA. OSU, Southern Cal and UNC all chose to conduct themselves in a manner that ultimately did more harm. Miami learned from that and has been a partner with the NCAA to find out what happened. Miami has self-imposed sanctions that have hindered the entire athletic program. Miami knows that they have done wrong and they have paid dearly. Missing out of bowl games isn't just about prize money. It is about extra practice time, extra game experience and extra exposure to recruits. When trying to rebuild a football program, those things are invaluable.

The Miami Herald has put together a timeline of the NCAA inquiry. Just further evidence that in my opinion the NCAA is a corrupt institution trying to justify the very existence of itself in order to continue the river of money coming.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeAlumBS View Post
    I understand that he paid 10K to a family to attract a player, which in itself very suspicious.
    I know one of the players was given a year suspension. Was this for academic, or an NCAA infracton? Can someone give me insight on this suspension, I think Durant, IMO. I may be wrong. Was it academic, or an NCAA ruling?
    It is my understanding that this will become of light in the future.

The NCAA needs to be revamped. With new leaders, and a new plan that favors getting your degree! At 4 years!
    This a sore spot of mine. Especially after recent research of teams coming into the ACC, and their graduation rates.
    Anyway, have a nice day my friends.

Jimmy
    What you think you know is incorrect. It was DeQuan Jones and he was reinstated after a 10 game suspension. If you care to actually read about the situation instead of inferring things based on what you heard you may actually know something closer to the truth.

The convicted felon Shapiro states that he paid $10K to get DeQuan to sign. So far, there still is no evidence to corroborate this claim.

According to Shapiro, former Hurricanes' assistant Jake Morton asked him for $10,000 to secure the commitment of then-recruit Jones in 2008. Shapiro, a former UM booster and convicted felon, told Yahoo! Sports that he did not think Jones was aware of the transaction.

Two days before the start of this season, UM announced that Jones would not play this year as the school and NCAA continued their joint investigation into Shapiro's charges.

Jones was never ruled ineligible by UM or suspended for accepting impermissible benefits by the NCAA, as was the case with eight players on the Hurricanes' football team. Jones was allowed to continue practicing.
    His situation would have sounded very familiar if Shabazz had signed with Duke and not UCLA.

You shouldn't worry about Miami bringing the graduation rate down as they've surpassed many of the pre-expansion members' graduation rates.

You can believe some of the drivel that has been posted in this thread or you can go out and read the information and educate yourself. It is up to you.

As far as the basketball team is concerned and the 10k for DeQuan Jones, Jones was initially suspended indefinitely and then re-instated for the 2nd half of the season. So no, no one was suspended for the entire year. Moreover, the NCAA found that they were wrong in this instance and reinstated Jones immediately as soon as Jones got a lawyer., which no one saw coming. Furthermore, Jones ins't on the team, having graduated.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sp...pension/nL2rb/

The Reggie Johnson 1 game suspension was due to something that was uncovered in their investigation, but unrelated to Shapiro, by most measures. It is unclear what that actually was, but I believe it is related to travel of his family to games.
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umiam...uspension.html

Reggie and Scott served their punishment last year and they were not linked to their recruitment. Again, Miami football players that we know too somewhere between $100 and $1500 from Shapiro were suspended between 1 and 4 games last year, or 1/12th-1/3 of the season. Reggie was suspended 1/30th.

Again, I implore you to find all the details on this investigation. It's completely possible the NCAA has dragged this out for 2 years because what they've found has been small potatoes compared to what they thought they'd find.

NCAA

My friends,

I agree about the NCAA and its concern for "student/athletes."
    The situation has to be fixed! The NCAA has to fixate on the "student / athlete."
    Coach K has a good starting point, a 2 year and get away with one and done.
    My idea is simple. You bring an athlete to your school. You offer him a full ride/room/board. And top this off with a stipend of 500-1500 a month.
    You have him sign a contract, with lawyer present. To do this very thing.With the school and himself.And parents if not of age.
    If this does not work out, he does military time or governemnt job for 4 years!
    The stipend is generous! I feel a lot will not agree!
    Schools have to change their goals to favor the STUDENT!!!

Have a nice day my friends,

Jimmy

Jay Bilas has commentary with Mike & Mike and Stephen Smith and Skip Bayless have a discussion about the Miami investigation, Jay's remarks and Emmert & the NCAA in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Miami has self-imposed sanctions that have hindered the entire athletic program. Miami knows that they have done wrong and they have paid dearly. Missing out of bowl games isn't just about prize money. It is about extra practice time, extra game experience and extra exposure to recruits. When trying to rebuild a football program, those things are invaluable.
    Obviously I'm trying to be argumentative, mostly for fun/sport. But since there appear to be some posters in this thread with more information that has been available in the general media I would be interested to know what, exactly, these wide-ranging self-imposed sanctions are which have "hindered the entire athletic program"?

Ceasing to use cocaine-infused launches into the bay on multi-million dollar yachts attended by half-nekid womenz as a recruiting tool does not constitute a self-imposed sanction.

Given the implication of Frank Haith and (at least) two of his assistants in recruiting improprieties, what exactly has The U done which has negatively impacted the basketball program. As I recall, Haith left Miami of his own accord - so it's not even as if the University could claim that it was proactive in resolving the stiuation...just the happy benefactor of the chief perpetrator deciding to move on. All this while UM was making the NCAA aware of the situation as soon as they knew there were problems? Really? I mean, I would have expected that Haith would have been summarily dismissed given the import of wrongdoing associated with his tenure. I guess we'll wait to see what the NCAA formally "charges" Haith with. Perhaps it will be nothing. Or perhaps the NCAA will be wrong. (A lot of people will be wrong, in that case, including me.)

I'm reminded of this:
    Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
    Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
    [a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
    Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
    Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
    [aloud]
    Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!