Mason Plumlee named academic All-America

From ACC Press release.

"North Carolina senior forward Tyler Zeller and Duke junior center Mason Plumlee have been named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America® Division I Men’s Basketball Team by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

Zeller, a 7-foot senior from Washington, Ind., has also been chosen as the recipient of the Academic All-America® of the Year award for men’s basketball.

This is the sixth year in which multiple ACC players have occupied two or more spots on the five-man first team.

Zeller, a business administration major with a 3.62 G.P.A., is a repeat selection on the Capital One Academic All-America® Men’s Basketball Division I first team. He is the first player in UNC history to earn first-team Academic All-America® distinction more than once, and he is the Tar Heels’ active career scoring leader with 1,316 points.

Zeller is the third ACC player to be named CoSIDA Academic All-America® of the Year in men’s basketball. He joins Shane Battier of Duke, honored in 2001, and Todd Fuller of NC State, the 1996 recipient.

Plumlee, a psychology and cultural anthropology major with a 3.44 G.P.A., is averaging 11.2 points a game for the fourth-ranked Blue Devils. His average of 9.7 rebounds per contest is good for second in the ACC, and the junior from Warsaw, Ind., is sixth in blocked shots in the league at 1.6 an outing.

The only player to start the first 27 games for the Blue Devils, Plumlee has led Duke to a 23-4 record entering Thursday’s play at FSU. He has collected 10 or more rebounds in six of the Devils’ past eight games and has not fouled out of a game all season while playing 30 minutes a night."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    From ACC Press release.

"North Carolina senior forward Tyler Zeller and Duke junior center Mason Plumlee have been named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-America® Division I Men’s Basketball Team by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

Zeller, a 7-foot senior from Washington, Ind., has also been chosen as the recipient of the Academic All-America® of the Year award for men’s basketball.

This is the sixth year in which multiple ACC players have occupied two or more spots on the five-man first team.

Zeller, a business administration major with a 3.62 G.P.A., is a repeat selection on the Capital One Academic All-America® Men’s Basketball Division I first team. He is the first player in UNC history to earn first-team Academic All-America® distinction more than once, and he is the Tar Heels’ active career scoring leader with 1,316 points.

Zeller is the third ACC player to be named CoSIDA Academic All-America® of the Year in men’s basketball. He joins Shane Battier of Duke, honored in 2001, and Todd Fuller of NC State, the 1996 recipient.

Plumlee, a psychology and cultural anthropology major with a 3.44 G.P.A., is averaging 11.2 points a game for the fourth-ranked Blue Devils. His average of 9.7 rebounds per contest is good for second in the ACC, and the junior from Warsaw, Ind., is sixth in blocked shots in the league at 1.6 an outing.

The only player to start the first 27 games for the Blue Devils, Plumlee has led Duke to a 23-4 record entering Thursday’s play at FSU. He has collected 10 or more rebounds in six of the Devils’ past eight games and has not fouled out of a game all season while playing 30 minutes a night."
    l

Congrats to Mason and Tyler. Two great student-athlete role models living 8 miles apart. They may not be comparing academic papers next week, but good stuff!

That's excellent and a credit to both guys. I should mention to Mason that my wife's first cousin also majored in anthropology, lives in North Carolina, she thinks Mason is cute (although she does think Miles is a little cuter), and she's single. Just sayin' Mase...

Congrats to Mason!

He should save the celebrating until after the game. No wonder he had a subpar game tonight!

I kid, I kid. Quite an accomplishment.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Congrats to Mason and Tyler...

Amazing accomplishment to get those grades while playing ACC basketball at Duke and Carolina. Serious kudos to both of them. And to Elizabeth Williams on the women's team playing at that level and going pre-med.

And congrats also to Scott Saunders of Belmont, who made it for the second year (along with Tyler Zeller).

Scott is the son of Larry Saunders, Duke's captain in 1971.

Huge honor, richly deserved.

Wait...am I reading this right? Is Mason double majoring? (In Psych and Cultural Anthro, which I thought were separate majors)
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Wait...am I reading this right? Is Mason double majoring? (In Psych and Cultural Anthro, which I thought were separate majors)
    Yes, he is.

Yes. There was a recent article about how the trip to China inspired the cultural anthropology major.

Congrats to Mason and Tyler
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

According to this recent article by David Teel, yes.

Upon learning that Duke’s basketball team would travel to China and Dubai last summer, the junior power forward enrolled in a class on China.

One class led to another, to an independent study to a second major, in cultural anthropology
    Edit to add: tbyers11 beat me to it with the reference; congrats to Mason and the other honorees.

Outstanding accomplishment!!

Congrats to Tyler and Mason, fine examples of true student athletes. Just reinforces the fact that the ACC is the best conference.

ricks

Congratulations to both young men. That is quite impressive, especially given the amount of time they obviously spend on physical excellence as well.

Congrats, Mason and Tyler. This is one of my favorite threads every year. Love seeing the "student" come out in "student-athlete".
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Mason, again

Congrats to Mason for making the 2012-2013 Capital One Adacemic All-America team for the second year in a row.

He joins Mike Gminski, Jim Spanarkel, and Shane Battier as winning this award in back-to-back years.

Well done, young man!

(Mods, please move to a new thread, if warranted.)

Congratulations, Mason! Well done indeed. Mama should be justifiably proud.

Fantastic. I'm very pleased for him and what that says about our program.

Go Duke!