New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke 74, Miami 64

Huge game for Duke. I wish it were shown on something besides ESPN3, but I'll be listening. Right now the ACC is crowding the top 10 with Miami, Maryland and Duke taking spots 5-7. Beyond the rankings, this game will figure into our tourney seed, which is a pretty big deal this year with a regional in Raleigh. ESPN's bracketology has us a 2 seed (the one's are basically set in stone), but instead of being in Raleigh like last week, we are now in Kingston. I don't care about the #1 seed we'll face..that will be a tough task regardless, but it might be a bit easier in front of a home crowd.
    Another factor from here on out will be the health of our roster. Losing Richa Jackson last week was big, and I wonder how she may have helped us for the Maryland game. It's a bad time of year to lose a valuable starter, and we don't have many more available!
    We are at home for this one though, so that will hopefully help. We've only allowed UCONN to leave smiling, I hope there is a big crowd in Cameron to see to it that it stays that way for Senior night. Wow, last home game of the season already! (Excluding the NCAA's of course.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

"Stay healthy, my friends!"

This should be the new motto for WBB. Good points, Chris! I'll be there. I hope that all of you local fans can and will get out to the game on Friday night. Should be a great game from these two very talented teams!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Just bought five tickets today!

Bump. This thread had fallen to the middle of the second page. I thought there would be more interest in this very important game to be played tonight at 7:00!

Our players deserve a big crowd, come on out! They'll likely have bbq, chick-fil-a, ice cream & other goodies if time is a problem and making the game is a tight squeeze.

Go Duke!!!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Cool 38-28 Duke at Half

38-28 Duke at Half.

Poor clock management at the very end allowed Mia to get a late 3, but Duke D has been stifling. The women look really good.

54 - 47 Duke with 11:15 to go.

It is 54 - 47 Duke with 11:15 to go.The defense doesn't seem to be as intense, and we've missed some open shots. On the positive side, no foul trouble at this point.

Abby Waner doing a great job as the color commentator for ESPN.

Lots of Dukies here - on the Duke bench, in the TV booth and on the Miami Bench (Head Coach).

Game on ESPN3 --
    http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...ize/condensed/
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-24-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Duke surges, up by 12 at 6 min mark

Chelsea Gray with a terrific look-away pass under the basket for a lay-up, then Duke forces a turnover. Duke up by 14, 67-53 under 5 min. Mia doesn't seem to have much energy left.

...now 9 pt margin at 4 min mark.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Yo, we got an online media outlet here?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Game on ESPN3 --
    http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/...ize/condensed/

Down to margin of 5 with 2:20 left. Sloppy Duke play and getting no calls.
    Ack!! Another t/o. 3 pt game at 1:30. Duke has 3 players with 4 fouls. Mia press hurting us.

Yes, a breath - Gray makes a lay-up at 1:13 mark. Duke by 5.

We look tentative.

Mia misses a open three from corner, now fouling the Duke PG with the ball. Miami only has 5 fouls so far...

Duke 1-6 on FT's, Mia is 18-22. Vernerey playing well.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-24-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Every time I turned it on, Miami was going on a run. Good thing I didn't watch the entire game.

Looks like they're going to pull it out. Congratulations on the #1 seed in the ACCT!

Duke Wins by 10, 74-64

Duke Wins by 10, 74-64

But they didn't make it look easy down the stretch. Way too sloppy. Too many balls thrown away, reaching fouls, and many "out-hustled" situations.

We clinched the ACC regular season, which means we'll play the winner of the 7-8 seeds game, and if we win then the 4-5 winner (currently MD and NC@ch).

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    But they didn't make it look easy down the stretch. Way too sloppy. Too many balls thrown away, reaching fouls, and many "out-hustled" situations.

I was PROUD of these young women for all FORTY minutes. You know, when pressed toward the end of a hard played pressure filled game you tend to get a little "sloppy" and perhaps "out hustled" when you are down to basically SEVEN players. My guess is they were getting a little tired toward the end.

Congratulations on a hard played well earned win.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 02-25-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fix tags

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    We clinched the ACC regular season, which means we'll play the winner of the 7-8 seeds game, and if we win then the 4-5 winner (currently MD and NC@ch).
    8/9 winner. If MD beat State, we would then play the Tech/Heels winner in the 4/5 game.

Whew. Congrats to the Duke women -- #1 seed in ACCT and at least a tie for regular season title.

We missed Richa out there, it's a real shame what this team has had to go through in terms of losing players. Still, I love this Duke team. Allison was outstanding tonight. Shea and Kathleen stepped up on senior night. Tricia can really shoot. Elizabeth and Chelsea are amazing, and Haley is always making something good happen.

Now let's beet those Heels on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    8/9 winner. If MD beat State, we would then play the Tech/Heels winner in the 4/5 game.
    On ESPN I'm pretty sure they were "current standings" projecting Ga Tech as the #3 seed, MD as #4, and NC@ch as #5. (Of course ESPN could be (and often is) wrong. ) I think you're right about having to first get thru the 8/9 winner in any event.

Great accomplishment for the Duke Women - regular season champs!! Wahoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Whew. Congrats to the Duke women -- #1 seed in ACCT and at least a tie for regular season title.

We missed Richa out there, it's a real shame what this team has had to go through in terms of losing players. Still, I love this Duke team. Allison was outstanding tonight. Shea and Kathleen stepped up on senior night. Tricia can really shoot. Elizabeth and Chelsea are amazing, and Haley is always making something good happen.

Now let's beet those Heels on Sunday.
    With Richa out, it looks like P has decided to put Williams and Vernerey on the floor at the same time, putting Venerey on top of the zone. Tonight Allison's activity and her length just chopped up Miami's offense. So the dynamic has changed dramatically. I, too, liked what Jackson has been doing, but if Vernerey continues like this, the sky is the limit. Gray, however, remains the key to the offense. Tonight she was extraordinary. That on-the-fly bullet pass to Vernerey, and Vernerey's preparedness was a thing of beauty. If the rest of the team can catch passes like that, boy, they will be tougher than ever. This team, without Jackson, now has an extra dimension; Vernerey and Williams are the new dynamic duo.

I would agree, however, with anyone who thinks the margin of success has narrowed, but mostly because Jackson's loss reduces the team's depth. And I say this without taking anything away from Liston, Selby or Peters. Williams, of course, remains a rock in the middle. And tonight I thought Scheer played well, too. Maybe it was senior night for her, but she's looking at an ever-shortening career now, and should be able to give everything she has.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good things happen when we make layups.

Because of their play, Duke recorded 50 points in the paint to Miami’s 16.

“That is an awesome, awesome stat,” McCallie said. “In the NCAA Tournament, that is what you need to make a run.”
    http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...s-top-ACC-seed?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."