Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 156
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    This game has flown under the radar amongst the national analysts. I think it is mostly because the name "Florida State" in a big time basketball game doesn't seem right. But this is a monster game between 2 good teams. My only pre game thoughts:

    Just win, baby

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    vegas just wants a lot of money laid off on this... BUT.....man those cats know how to figure it out...
    "Either we're going down, or they are....... Kirk out!"

  3. #23
    IF Fsu wins this will be 3 straight wins over Duke. I cant see it though. I see Duke taking this one. I think Duke is a better team and they seem to play better oon the road for whatever reason. I could see Duke pulling away in this one.
    Last edited by dukeballboy88; 02-22-2012 at 11:45 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lumberton, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    IF Fsu wins this will be 3 straight wins over Duke. I cant see it though. I see Duke taking this one. I think Duke is a better team and they seem to play better oon the road for whatever reason. I could see Duke pulling away in this one.
    I've got to agree with you. I don't know why, but I really can't see Duke losing this game. All week I've just had the feeling Duke is gonna take this one. Let's hope I'm right!

    LET'S GO DUKE!

  5. #25
    I was wondering... and after reading the posts above... when was the last time that Duke lost to the same ACC team twice in the same season (unc not withstanding)... (thanks guys/gals)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I was wondering... and after reading the posts above... when was the last time that Duke lost to the same ACC team twice in the same season (unc not withstanding)... (thanks guys/gals)
    In 2007, Duke lost to Maryland twice. We also lost to Carolina twice that season.
    Bob Green
    United States Navy (Retired)
    @JBobGreen

  7. #27

    Cool Yessir!

    Crammed a weeks worth of traveling into three days to prep for this game. Let's Go Duke!

  8. #28
    FWIW, FSU is 9-6 against the spread at home, Duke is 5-3 against the spread on the road.

    Regardless, the game could obviously go either way. There are countless factors that could be significant. Anybody who says they "have a feeling" is just guessing/hoping, plain and simple. Obviously, we're all on edge about tonight. I agree with several posters who prefer the Seth/Austin dual primary ballhandlers setup, IF they are on their game. No knock against TT - his hard-nosed persona will probably be very valuable tonight.
    Last edited by slower; 02-23-2012 at 08:16 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Close to the Gothic Playground!

    First order of business: Winning the rebound battle.

    Hey guys I believe the first and most important thing we have to do is keep the 'Noles off the boards for second shot putbacks; in doing so, we should win the rebound battle tonight and that predicts better for us.

    This is a really big game.

    dukestheheat.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    If Florida State's incredible physicality and length prove to present Mason and Miles with a reduced amount of clean scoring opportunities inside, and I think that they might (Mason and Miles combined for just 13 points on 4 of 9 shooting in the first meeting with the 'Noles), I really hope that the tandem remains cognizant of just how deadly the post-kickout for open jump shots can be. It may sound like simple strategy, but it is a strategy that basically led us to a national championship two years ago, and it's something that we haven't been all that successful at this year. Brian Zoubek was a machine when it came to executing the inside-out game, an absolute genius. Pete Carril would have given a lung to coach No. 55, and might have reached a Sweet 16 or two in the process.

    Instead of settling for a George Mikan hookshot from 10 feet, which both Mason and Miles are sometimes smitten with doing, in many instances it would be so much more beneficial to pass up that Mikan play and take advantage of the collapsing defense by finding any one of our three Chris Mullins floating around the perimeter. They did a much better job of this against North Carolina, and it turned out beautifully. One pass in particular from Mason to Seth Curry for that trailing 25-foot Seth Curry three in the final moments was about as close to seeing Shane Battier don a Duke uniform again as we'll ever see. It was magnificent. In the past, Mason probably takes a dribble into the center of the lane and tries to George Gervin it in.

    But we're not there yet. Miles especially, I think, needs to take better advantage of his skills as an offensive rebounder and realize when finding the open shooter is a more efficient play. Seize the opportunites to score when they're clear and there. But keep in mind that, especially in Coach K's philosophy of offense, an open three is almost always better option than a contested two.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Greenville, NC
    FSU has the tendency to play a lot of guys. I expect this game to be an uptempo style of play and come the 2nd half, whomever has the strongest legs will likely be victorious. Thus I think it will be key for Duke's bench to give us some quality minutes, most notably Hairston and Cook but a pleasant surprise would be seeing Silent G getting some quality playing time. I think Silent G's length and defensive capabilities would be advantageous in Duke's ability to win this game tonight. LET'S GO DUKE!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilCorvette! View Post
    ...but a pleasant surprise would be seeing Silent G getting some quality playing time. I think Silent G's length and defensive capabilities would be advantageous in Duke's ability to win this game tonight. LET'S GO DUKE!
    Every game somebody says this. Maybe if we keep saying it, it will eventually come true.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think the key to the game is controlling Bernard James. In the first game, he seemed to be in a fog in the first half and we outplayed them. He woke up in the second half and they outplayed us. If we can get him in foul trouble, their lineup is much less effective without him. Alternatively, it would be nice if Mason or Miles steps up and gives Mr. James a frustrating evening.
    I will be interested in seeing how often and how effectively we go into Mason in the post on offense. I think FSU's help side interior defense will give Mason problems on his hook shot, so I hope he can keep his wits and pass to a shooter when he feels the double team approaching.

    Of course if Mason can make a power move and score quickly or get fouled, that's great too. But he often takes a dribble or two to improve his position which allows the defense time to help over on him. We should go at James early though and make him defend without fouling.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Just amazing

    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If Florida State's incredible physicality and length prove to present Mason and Miles with a reduced amount of clean scoring opportunities inside, and I think that they might (Mason and Miles combined for just 13 points on 4 of 9 shooting in the first meeting with the 'Noles), I really hope that the tandem remains cognizant of just how deadly the post-kickout for open jump shots can be. It may sound like simple strategy, but it is a strategy that basically led us to a national championship two years ago, and it's something that we haven't been all that successful at this year. Brian Zoubek was a machine when it came to executing the inside-out game, an absolute genius. Pete Carril would have given a lung to coach No. 55, and might have reached a Sweet 16 or two in the process.

    Instead of settling for a George Mikan hookshot from 10 feet, which both Mason and Miles are sometimes smitten with doing, in many instances it would be so much more beneficial to pass up that Mikan play and take advantage of the collapsing defense by finding any one of our three Chris Mullins floating around the perimeter. They did a much better job of this against North Carolina, and it turned out beautifully. One pass in particular from Mason to Seth Curry for that trailing 25-foot Seth Curry three in the final moments was about as close to seeing Shane Battier don a Duke uniform again as we'll ever see. It was magnificent. In the past, Mason probably takes a dribble into the center of the lane and tries to George Gervin it in.

    But we're not there yet. Miles especially, I think, needs to take better advantage of his skills as an offensive rebounder and realize when finding the open shooter is a more efficient play. Seize the opportunites to score when they're clear and there. But keep in mind that, especially in Coach K's philosophy of offense, an open three is almost always better option than a contested two.
    Do you realize you compared Mason to both George Mikan and George Gervin? Probably the only player in the history of the sport to be compared to those two players?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West CIS

    Some keys!

    Some of the recent posts have alluded to MP1&2 and their importance in various circumstances!
    I couldn't agree more!
    We need them on the court, out of foul trouble for a myriad of game situations!

    On offense it gives us that all too valuable inside presence/threat to score down low that must be defensed!
    It gives us the opportunity for Offensive boards and put backs and or kick outs!

    On defense it puts us in position to board and 1and done possesions!
    It puts us in position to contest the inside game more effectivly!
    It gives us the outlet pass to start a possible break! An on and on!

    None of this is available if early foul trouble evidences itself with the bigs!
    Big key is, if both the Plum's can stay in a defensive stance, be in position to play defense with their feet and head, it will minimize the situations where there is a tendency to reach, poke, lunge for a unnecessary foul/s!
    It will make them available when they need to play tough on the inside w/o the handicap of previous unnecessary fouls!

    If they can harmess the tendency to make an "all world" play on every play, play within themselves, contest where it is appropriate! This will be major not only this evening but going forward!

    I think a lot of the rest of our game takes care of itself given that set of circumstances!
    It puts us in position to limit their offensive opportunities, increase ours and with our scoring potential
    We should be in a favorable position to win!

    Make no mistake, I think the world of these guys, this is just an outside observation that i'm convinced they've heard many times over and are aware of!

    On another note! There have been comments recently about slow starts and effectiveness on the offensive side!
    Things going full circle this season and not singleing out any one player/s,
    I can't defend this with stats or other specifics!
    But I have recently come to the conclusion that we tend to be most effective with Austin,Seth,Andre on the floor at the same time with a mix of bigs!

    Okay let the games begin, go ahead, beat me up!!
    LOL!!
    Let's go DUKE !!!!

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Some of the recent posts have alluded to MP1&2 and their importance in various circumstances!
    I couldn't agree more!
    We need them on the court, out of foul trouble for a myriad of game situations!

    On offense it gives us that all too valuable inside presence/threat to score down low that must be defensed!
    It gives us the opportunity for Offensive boards and put backs and or kick outs!

    On defense it puts us in position to board and 1and done possesions!
    It puts us in position to contest the inside game more effectivly!
    It gives us the outlet pass to start a possible break! An on and on!

    None of this is available if early foul trouble evidences itself with the bigs!
    Big key is, if both the Plum's can stay in a defensive stance, be in position to play defense with their feet and head, it will minimize the situations where there is a tendency to reach, poke, lunge for a unnecessary foul/s!
    It will make them available when they need to play tough on the inside w/o the handicap of previous unnecessary fouls!

    If they can harmess the tendency to make an "all world" play on every play, play within themselves, contest where it is appropriate! This will be major not only this evening but going forward!

    I think a lot of the rest of our game takes care of itself given that set of circumstances!
    It puts us in position to limit their offensive opportunities, increase ours and with our scoring potential
    We should be in a favorable position to win!

    Make no mistake, I think the world of these guys, this is just an outside observation that i'm convinced they've heard many times over and are aware of!

    On another note! There have been comments recently about slow starts and effectiveness on the offensive side!
    Things going full circle this season and not singleing out any one player/s,
    I can't defend this with stats or other specifics!
    But I have recently come to the conclusion that we tend to be most effective with Austin,Seth,Andre on the floor at the same time with a mix of bigs!

    Okay let the games begin, go ahead, beat me up!!
    LOL!!
    Just a heads up, but I think both the Shift and the "1" keys on your keyboard are sticking a little.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Hey guys I believe the first and most important thing we have to do is keep the 'Noles off the boards for second shot putbacks.
    FSU only got 4 offensive rebounds in the first game. We had many other problems defensively in that game, but I don't think that one was primary.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilCorvette! View Post
    FSU has the tendency to play a lot of guys. I expect this game to be an uptempo style of play and come the 2nd half, whomever has the strongest legs will likely be victorious. Thus I think it will be key for Duke's bench to give us some quality minutes.
    We basically only played 7 guys in the first game against FSU. Unless the bigs get into foul trouble and we need to get Josh into the mix more, I wouldn't expect K to go any deeper than that this time either (at least not for any significant minutes) especially considering the high intensity pressure cooker that this game figures to be. K tends to shorten the bench in these situations rather than throw guys in who haven't played major minutes all year.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West CIS

    Thanks tommy!

    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Just a heads up, but I think both the Shift and the "1" keys on your keyboard are sticking a little.
    LOL!
    I'm using an IPad!
    More than likely, it's a combination of my old blind eyes and fat thumbs!
    I'll be "cookin" when they come out with the braille version!'

    Thanks for the heads up!
    Let's go DUKE !!!!

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roxboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    We basically only played 7 guys in the first game against FSU. Unless the bigs get into foul trouble and we need to get Josh into the mix more, I wouldn't expect K to go any deeper than that this time either (at least not for any significant minutes) especially considering the high intensity pressure cooker that this game figures to be. K tends to shorten the bench in these situations rather than throw guys in who haven't played major minutes all year.
    I think Cook was sick that game. And it was before K gave Hairston a couple starts. I think Cook and Hairston will both play tonight. Maybe not significant minutes but certainly more than the first meeting.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Do you realize you compared Mason to both George Mikan and George Gervin? Probably the only player in the history of the sport to be compared to those two players?
    Yes. Do you realize that I was not being serious? Those are just the facetious remarks I hysterically scream at my television when either Mason or Miles decides to perform The Skyhook over a flashmob of defenders.

    While both have improved their inside scoring games considerably, namely Mason, I think they both underwhelmingly utilize the kick-out for open shots on the perimeter. And, with a slew of the finest marksmen the ACC has to offer dancing around our perimeter at any given time, it is a competitive advantage that we should try to maximize as much as possible. We still are going to get a lot of good three-point opportunities any time we play even without Brian Zoubek patrolling the paint, but we could get even better looks if our bigs began to place an added emphasis on the inside-out game. Aside from a lay-up or jam, the best shot in basketball is an offensive rebound cast out for an unobstructed three.

    Enter Andre Dawkins. Watch how many times he will be left standing alone on the perimeter tonight, flapping his arms like a pterodactyl, while one of our bigs (or even penetrating guards) fails to even acknowledge he's alive, and I bet it will surprise you. Or maybe it won't. It doesn't me. As I said, however, since the UNC game, we seem to be improving in this area. At least somewhat.

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Florida State 76, Duke 73 Post Game Thread
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 241
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 01:39 AM
  2. MBB: Duke vs Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
  3. MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By 77devil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 199
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
  4. MBB: Duke 70, Florida State 56 Post-Game Thread
    By Jumbo in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 12:40 AM
  5. MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread
    By Hancock 4 Duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •