Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I was referring more to his first two years in Durham. Duhon's percentages from three as a freshman and sophomore (36% and 34%, respectively) were above his career average, and he made almost 100 triples in those initial two seasons (98). If you go back and watch some of those games, Duhon (along with Jason, Mike and Shane) almost never shot a three from the location of the line. Usually, Duhon was more like three or sometimes four steps behind it. This obviously adds a degree of difficulty to the shot, thus causing for lower overall percentages. But because he had that ability to just destroy you when hot, the defenses (at least those first two years) had to extend their pressure to try and prevent it.

There was a game against Wake in Cameron during his sophomore season that I'll never forget in which Duhon came down the court and just nonchalantly let one fly from almost midway in-between the arc and half-court. It was at the bare minimum a 35-footer. Skip Prosser called a timeout before the ball even hit the nylon and the crowd just lost it. We were do damn good that year it's almost too depressing to think about.

Of course, as you said, Duhon's junior and senior seasons, while producing a few really good shooting nights here and there, left something to be desired. He tried that same Wake pull-up three in a game in Cameron against Georgetown as a junior, when he was shooting something like 18 percent from three at that juncture in the season, and it scarcily grazed the bottom of the rim. Dick Vitale then mumbled something about how he wasn't sure a half-court prayer shot is exactly what Coach K had in mind there.
    It's a painful memory, but Duhon's last shot for Duke went in -- from halfcourt.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It's a painful memory, but Duhon's last shot for Duke went in -- from halfcourt.

sage
    And it brought me to the cusp of tears. I was at a friend's house, where the ratio of people not cheering for Duke was eight to one (this, of course, was before I began watching games by myself, in complete seclusion) and I'll never forget what I said after Duhon's final shot went in: "Count it! Count it!"

In the middle of a full-on delusion, one of my friends then politely interrupted me and said, "You still need one more point."

That was a rough night.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    [/B]

This drives me crazy as well but I see it happen more with Rivers than our bigs. At least 3 times a game, Rivers will go to the rack and draw 2 or 3 defenders and Andre will be wide open in the corner or wing but Rivers attempts a tough layup. Now in Rivers defense, he usualy gets hacked and doesnt get the call but still Id like to see Andre get more shots. Once Rivers figures this part of his game out as he seems to be, Duke will be hard to guard because no team can keep Rivers out of the lane.
    I just told a fellow devil this morning that if Austin dishes just 2 of those to Dre, just 2, that's 6 pts vs 0.

I think the key for us tonight is the play of Kelly. If Kelly plays well we will win. In the 4 games we have lost, Kelly has a total of 23 pts.
    Let's Go Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    I think the key for us tonight is the play of Kelly. If Kelly plays well we will win. In the 4 games we have lost, Kelly has a total of 23 pts.
    Let's Go Kelly.
    In our 4 losses this year, Dawkins has 17 points.

Let's Go Kelly.
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    In our 4 losses this year, Dawkins has 17 points.
    Got you both beat. Zafirovski has 0.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Will I be able to watch this on ESPN3 after it's over? I have a conflict.
    That is my plan. The game is on ESPN3, and games that are on ESPN3 are usually available for replay about 1 hour after the game, and is available up to 30 days. GO DUKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Got you both beat. Zafirovski has 0.
    If Zafirovski gets 10 points, we'll win. Bank on it.

-jk

There was a game against Wake in Cameron during his sophomore season that I'll never forget in which Duhon came down the court and just nonchalantly let one fly from almost midway in-between the arc and half-court. It was at the bare minimum a 35-footer.
    Hate to be "that guy" but this has always been a pet peeve of mine with announcers exaggerating the distance of a shot attempt. The college line in Duhon's day was 19'9" from the center of the basket. The half court line is 41'9" from the center of the basket (at center court). So the midpoint would range from about 30 feet (straight on) to about 34 feet (toward the either wing). So unless he was beyond the midpoint, I'm guessing he was nowhere near 35 feet. I do remember several shots he took in the 25-30 foot range. But I don't remember any that I recall being even clearly 30+ feet, let alone 35 feet.

Okay, dorkiness/nitpickiness over from me. I agree with the rest. Just couldn't let that slide. Sorry.

Live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=10583

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hate to be "that guy" but this has always been a pet peeve of mine with announcers exaggerating the distance of a shot attempt. The college line in Duhon's day was 19'9" from the center of the basket. The half court line is 41'9" from the center of the basket (at center court). So the midpoint would range from about 30 feet (straight on) to about 34 feet (toward the either wing). So unless he was beyond the midpoint, I'm guessing he was nowhere near 35 feet. I do remember several shots he took in the 25-30 foot range. But I don't remember any that I recall being even clearly 30+ feet, let alone 35 feet.

Okay, dorkiness/nitpickiness over from me. I agree with the rest. Just couldn't let that slide. Sorry.
    Haha, your being "that guy" is precisely why I went back right after pushing publish and edited my post to say 30 feet instead of 35 feet. I'm just not sure how you ended up replying to the original, unedited post. I'm with you on being irked when people exaggerate the distance of shots, but, as an extreme enthusiast of the Reggie Miller game, I always seem to do it nonetheless. When retelling this anecdote in 10 years, it will probably turn out that Chris banked the shot in off of Grant Hill's jersey.

Truth be told, Duhon's shot against Wake was probably somewhere between 26 and 30 feet deep. I watch that game pretty frequently to this day -- it's one of my favorites because both Chris and Jason had multiple in-the-gym-range type of plays -- and it was beyond even J.J. land. Chris had a knack for those types of crowd-erupting plays and, early on in his career, could shoot with the best of them.

I told my girlfriend of a couple of months I could not hang out tonight because of this game. She gave me a small guilt trip but this is a big game. C'mon Devils!

Where to watch in Dallas, TX?

I'm here on business & staying in the Uptown area - does anybody have a good suggestions for where I might find a Duke crowd?

Great start. Playing smart not forcing anything and going after boards.

Miles' second foul

Watching the replay, all I could think was that if using your backside to create room is a foul, why didn't Hansbro foul out more?

I spoke too soon. When FSU started to score we got sloppy. Gotta come out strong the guys spoke about it this week now go do it.

Haha, your being "that guy" is precisely why I went back right after pushing publish and edited my post to say 30 feet instead of 35 feet. I'm just not sure how you ended up replying to the original, unedited post. I'm with you on being irked when people exaggerate the distance of shots, but, as an extreme enthusiast of the Reggie Miller game, I always seem to do it nonetheless. When retelling this anecdote in 10 years, it will probably turn out that Chris banked the shot in off of Grant Hill's jersey.

Truth be told, Duhon's shot against Wake was probably somewhere between 26 and 30 feet deep. I watch that game pretty frequently to this day -- it's one of my favorites because both Chris and Jason had multiple in-the-gym-range type of plays -- and it was beyond even J.J. land. Chris had a knack for those types of crowd-erupting plays and, early on in his career, could shoot with the best of them.
    Doh! Serves me right for starting a post, pausing, then coming back later.

I was at Duke when Duhon was there. Saw him in pickup games just raining 3s. Ridiculous. He was a better shooter than his results would have suggested.

I just told a fellow devil this morning that if Austin dishes just 2 of those to Dre, just 2, that's 6 pts vs 0.
    austin just dished for a 3 from dre

and another 3 from Dre

They just called a blocking foul on Miles....WOW