Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MBB: Duke vs. Florida State Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I thought there might be a thread already on a game that has huge implications in so many ways. In a sense, this is the biggest game to date for Duke with the conference regular season at stake. This should be a barn burner for sure and I personally cannot wait for tip off in that this will be a brawl. The players seem ready for the challenge, especially Austin Rivers. Here is what he had to say yesterday - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/13266/ and then there is Ryan Kelly which this interview is pretty much the same one everybody else has - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/d...florida-state/

I was impressed with their win over NCS and the Noles are like 10-1 in there last 11 games, making them the ACC's hottest team.

Good stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I thought there might be a thread already on a game that has huge implications in so many ways. In a sense, this is the biggest game to date for Duke with the conference regular season at stake. This should be a barn burner for sure and I personally cannot wait for tip off in that this will be a brawl. The players seem ready for the challenge, especially Austin Rivers. Here is what he had to say yesterday - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/13266/ and then there is Ryan Kelly which this interview is pretty much the same one everybody else has - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/02/d...florida-state/

I was impressed with their win over NCS and the Noles are like 10-1 in there last 11 games, making them the ACC's hottest team.
    Really good interviews, with two thoughtfull, Intelligent, well spoken Dukies!
    Thank you
    Last edited by BluDvlsN1; 02-22-2012 at 10:58 AM.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Two really good interviews, with two thoughtfull, Intelligent, well spoken Dukies!
    Thank you
    Austin is the best interview to come down the pike since Shane Battier and that says a lot. And yes, Duke is so lucky to have such great character in their players and all of them are sharp as a tack. I will have another one coming with Tyler Thornton shortly. The Duke practice went an hour over the scheduled time yesterday and the players looked as if they'd absorbed a lot per body language and such.

Florida State is a very, very deep team. Against NC State, they had five players pick up two fouls in the first half and they never skipped a beat. Hamilton used 11 players in the first half and all 11 contributed.

Ian Miller might have been their best player against NCSU and he comes off the bench.

So, they don't worry all that much about fouls.

And these aren't cheap fouls. FSU is big and strong and they get their money's worth.

So, the key is to match that level of physicality without being thrown off what you do well. Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly and Hairston in particular need to strap on the hard hats and get ready to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Austin is the best interview to come down the pike since Shane Battier and that says a lot. And yes, Duke is so lucky to have such great character in their players and all of them are sharp as a tack. I will have another one coming with Tyler Thornton shortly. The Duke practice went an hour over the scheduled time yesterday and the players looked as if they'd absorbed a lot per body language and such.
    Were Rivers and Battier (and I assume Carawell) such great interviews because they skip cliches and provide thoughtful answers? Is it something else?

It struck me watching this interview how much Austin's accent sounds like Doc...I'd never noticed it before.

I have no doubt but that FSU is entering this game with a great deal of confidence.
    1. Their recent play has been solid, save the one inexplicable upset.
    2. They already beat Duke AT DUKE just a few weeks ago. And recall that it wasn't a "fluke", as Duke fought back in the last minute just to catch up.
    3. This game is at FSU, where they've historically played Duke well (and, of course, see point #2... If you can beat someone at THEIR place, shouldn't you expect to do it, then, at your own?).

I do expect Duke to be coming into this one really, really focused. Given that there's a real possibility of ending the season tied with these guys in the standings, a split of our match-ups would obviously impact the ACCT seeds. You could easily make the argument that this is the most important game that remains on our schedule.

Go Duke!!!

Needs

1. Duke really needs to get off to a solid start. It has been hard to understand how they have been so off at the start of recent games. I can't put my finger on what is happening to the team to cause this, but it just seems they have no focus until they get into the game after getting behind. Perhaps it is the structure of the starting lineup, but coach K has tried a lot of variations at the start of the games and hasn't really had much luck.

2. We know that FSU plays physical defense and won't allow a lot of space for our shooters outside nor give up much to our front court. Clearly we also need to play solid defense for the entire game. I have been happy with the progress of Seth, Andre and Austin on the defensive end. If we can hold FSU's scoring down and rebound reasonably well, It will come to who has the best offense. I think Duke can win that battle.

3. With the closeness of the guarding, Seth's ball handling is suspect. He had 6 TO's in the last game, something that we won't be able to afford against FSU. While we need Seth to score points, it may be necessary to pass the ball handling chores over to Quinn or Tyler. If Seth can tighten up his handle, we can then put our three best guards on the floor together.

4. I would like to see Andre build on his recent progress and move a lot more without the ball. If they tire of chasing him, he can be a very effective scorer.

5. Our inside game has not been solid when facing a big and physical front court. Our guys have got to try to compete equally in scoring, rebounding and defensive effort to give us our best chance. Mason needs to move it up a notch from his most recent efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    1. Duke really needs to get off to a solid start. It has been hard to understand how they have been so off at the start of recent games. I can't put my finger on what is happening to the team to cause this, but it just seems they have no focus until they get into the game after getting behind. Perhaps it is the structure of the starting lineup, but coach K has tried a lot of variations at the start of the games and hasn't really had much luck.

2. We know that FSU plays physical defense and won't allow a lot of space for our shooters outside nor give up much to our front court. Clearly we also need to play solid defense for the entire game. I have been happy with the progress of Seth, Andre and Austin on the defensive end. If we can hold FSU's scoring down and rebound reasonably well, It will come to who has the best offense. I think Duke can win that battle.

3. With the closeness of the guarding, Seth's ball handling is suspect. He had 6 TO's in the last game, something that we won't be able to afford against FSU. While we need Seth to score points, it may be necessary to pass the ball handling chores over to Quinn or Tyler. If Seth can tighten up his handle, we can then put our three best guards on the floor together.

4. I would like to see Andre build on his recent progress and move a lot more without the ball. If they tire of chasing him, he can be a very effective scorer.

5. Our inside game has not been solid when facing a big and physical front court. Our guys have got to try to compete equally in scoring, rebounding and defensive effort to give us our best chance. Mason needs to move it up a notch from his most recent efforts.
    One thing that K has mentioned is that this team's identity is so tied to how they play on offense. So, if the O starts off slow the D tends to start off slow. Tyler Thornton's presence in the starting 5 has a negative impact on the offensive effectiveness, particularly of Curry and Rivers. Therefore, it seems logical that K would want to not start Thornton, letting the team get some offensive flow going to stimulate effort on D. Tyler has a place on this team for sure, but i don't see how it's in the starting line-up.

Soem Questions

1. How will the big guys do? Duke's bigs had little success in January against a physical FSU team, rebounding OK, but totaling only 5 of 16 from within the arc. Miles and Mason had 7 and 6 respectively Ryan had ten, but six were from 3-pt. land.

2. Can Duke stand up physically for 40 minutes against the 'Noles? Last time, the big and deep FSU team was much stronger than Duke in the second half. Will K use a ten-man rotation (w/ Josh and Gbinije) this time?

3. Duke shot 40% from beyond the arc in the first game, but Seth struggled with his shot (4-16). Will Seth provide scoring and leadership this time?

4. Will this game turn on an emotional moment like the last one? I thought the Snaer fluke at the end of the first half propelled FSU in the second half.

sagegrouse

How We Beat FSU

1. Start strong, which is exactly what we did against UNC. We took shots with confidance
    2. Feed Mason early: Let him establish a low post presence even against their long front line
    3. Push their guards out: We have yet to do this consistently this year, but it would be nice to force their guards to set up their offense further out and away from their comfort zones. Andre and Tyler can help with this if we can stay in front of the dribble drive
    4. Limit Second Chance Points: I'll let FSU shoot all night save Snaer and Dulkys, but we have to get bodies on guys and Mason adn Miles may both need double digit boards tonight
    5. Play Loose: They are home, they are supposed to protect their court, let's play with energy and freedom
    6. Swagger: it's time to bring out the Duke swagger. We are freakin Duke and you're Not.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    And recall that it wasn't a "fluke", as Duke fought back in the last minute just to catch up.
    This isn't really correct. In the first game this season, Florida State led the game for a total of 1 minute and 41 seconds. The longest amount of contiguous time they held a lead was 47 seconds. And the only moment they had more than a 2 point lead was when the buzzer beater went through the net.

I'm not saying it was a "fluke." It was a hard fought game. But Florida State was playing catchup for practically the entire game, and Duke never got behind by more than one possession.

I think the key to the game is controlling Bernard James. In the first game, he seemed to be in a fog in the first half and we outplayed them. He woke up in the second half and they outplayed us. If we can get him in foul trouble, their lineup is much less effective without him. Alternatively, it would be nice if Mason or Miles steps up and gives Mr. James a frustrating evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think the key to the game is controlling Bernard James. In the first game, he seemed to be in a fog in the first half and we outplayed them. He woke up in the second half and they outplayed us. If we can get him in foul trouble, their lineup is much less effective without him. Alternatively, it would be nice if Mason or Miles steps up and gives Mr. James a frustrating evening.
    I agree with Kedsy on this one. James was just not into it the first half, but boy did he come alive in the 2nd half. If Miles can stay out of foul trouble, I believe James will play more like he did in the first half rather than the great 2nd half. Let's face it, FSU has a very good team, but so do we. I hope our 3s are falling early and we get them down double figures. I would hate to see that storming the court by the Nole fans. GoDuke!

Vegas has Duke as a one point favorite with the over/under set at 140.5:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...cfm/team/duke

71-70? I'll take it!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If Miles can stay out of foul trouble...
    Mason, too, and Ryan, for that matter.

Hard to find any fault in Duke's win over BC. About the only negative in what was otherwise a laugher: Mason's very ill-advised fouls. He ended with 4 fouls, of which I'd count 3 as un-smart, starting, early on, with a foul on a little used Fr C way out top. That fellow was no threat to do [much of] anything, so Mason's hack 25' out was un-smart.

In the first few minutes, it seemed clear that K's game plan included getting the ball to Mason down low. But because of Mason's foul troubles, that part of the game plan went out the window.

To no harm whatsoever, for that game. But BC just didn't have much of an inside game, whereas James, especially, but also Gibson and White can score.

This game has flown under the radar amongst the national analysts. I think it is mostly because the name "Florida State" in a big time basketball game doesn't seem right. But this is a monster game between 2 good teams. My only pre game thoughts:

Just win, baby

vegas just wants a lot of money laid off on this... BUT....man those cats know how to figure it out...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

IF Fsu wins this will be 3 straight wins over Duke. I cant see it though. I see Duke taking this one. I think Duke is a better team and they seem to play better oon the road for whatever reason. I could see Duke pulling away in this one.
    Last edited by dukeballboy88; 02-22-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    IF Fsu wins this will be 3 straight wins over Duke. I cant see it though. I see Duke taking this one. I think Duke is a better team and they seem to play better oon the road for whatever reason. I could see Duke pulling away in this one.
    I've got to agree with you. I don't know why, but I really can't see Duke losing this game. All week I've just had the feeling Duke is gonna take this one. Let's hope I'm right!

LET'S GO DUKE!

I was wondering... and after reading the posts above... when was the last time that Duke lost to the same ACC team twice in the same season (unc not withstanding)... (thanks guys/gals)