WBB: Maryland 63, Duke 61

I may be wrong, but I'm virtually certain Haley Peters' shot was a three and that we should be up 60-58, not 59-58. Her foot was clearly on the men's three arc, but it looked behind the women's three arc.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I may be wrong, but I'm virtually certain Haley Peters' shot was a three and that we should be up 60-58, not 59-58. Her foot was clearly on the men's three arc, but it looked behind the women's three arc.
    Same distance. Rule changed this year.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    The line's the same for both this year. Maryland hasn't removed the old line yet.

Tough loss today. Took control early, then let Maryland back late in the first half, then close throughout. A lot of tough playing in the paint that went Maryland's way, including foul trouble.

With essentially a six person rotation (Kathleen and KJ don't play many minutes) we'll have to see if adjustments to the defensive scheme can help keep them on the floor. I liked that we played more patiently in the second half to shorten the game, still adjusting to not having Richa out there. Could have used her offensive play making that we've seen the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Same distance. Rule changed this year.
    OIC.

Then why on earth didn't they remove the closer line at Comcast?

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

OIC.

couple possibilities:

they have high school games or some other leagues that play there that use the short line
    they only redo the court every couple years, and the other line isn't hurting anything
    1200. DDMF.

Nineteen offensive rebounds for Maryland. Game decided right there.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Nineteen offensive rebounds for Maryland. Game decided right there.
    Not a terrible game for Duke. We played a fellow-top-10 opponent well in their house. It came down to the final minute and could have easily gone erither way. MD seemed to get a lot more than 50% of the "up for grabs" balls, scrapping for loose ones, coming away with contested rebounds in a crowd, and diving on the floor for 'em. Not a bad showing for our ladies though. We're still in first place and I think are locked into a top-2 seed for the ACCT. Though a couple more tough match-ups this week.

Next play!

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Not a terrible game for Duke. We played a fellow-top-10 opponent well in their house. It came down to the final minute and could have easily gone erither way. MD seemed to get a lot more than 50% of the "up for grabs" balls, scrapping for loose ones, coming away with contested rebounds in a crowd, and diving on the floor for 'em. Not a bad showing for our ladies though. We're still in first place and I think are locked into a top-2 seed for the ACCT. Though a couple more tough match-ups this week.

Next play!

Next Friday's home game is winner take all. Winner is the number one seed in the ACC tourney.

OIC.

Because their athletic department doesn't even have enough money to remove the line.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Because their athletic department doesn't even have enough money to remove the line.
    They could just cover it up with thrown water bottles.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

They could just cover it up with thrown water bottles.
    Or collect the spare change they have thrown at our bench/families over the years and have it removed.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Next Friday's home game is winner take all. Winner is the number one seed in the ACC tourney.
    I will be there. Will be a great game. Miami head coach and Duke alum, Katie Meier has done a terrific job at Miami. Love her...but GO DUKE on Friday!!

DU82 - you're probably right, and I hate to pick nits, but both teams actually have TWO ACC games remaining in the regular season. And while Miami is pretty unlikely to lose to last-place BC at home on Sunday, anything's possible. And I think we would overlook UNC @ Chapel Hill at our own peril... After a lousy early-Feb., UNC may be considered on the bubble (or not too far from it), and NOTHING would make their season more of a "success" than beating Duke on the final day of the regular season in Carmichael... Anybody know how a tie would be resolved if we finished with the same record and split the regular season with MIA?

But that Fri night match-up for us with Miami is clearly HUGE. Should be a good one. I hope we get a great crowd there!

Go Duke!!!

DU82 - you're probably right, and I hate to pick nits, but both teams actually have TWO ACC games remaining in the regular season. And while Miami is pretty unlikely to lose to last-place BC at home on Sunday, anything's possible. And I think we would overlook UNC @ Chapel Hill at our own peril... After a lousy early-Feb., UNC may be considered on the bubble (or not too far from it), and NOTHING would make their season more of a "success" than beating Duke on the final day of the regular season in Carmichael... Anybody know how a tie would be resolved if we finished with the same record and split the regular season with MIA?

But that Fri night match-up for us with Miami is clearly HUGE. Should be a good one. I hope we get a great crowd there!

Go Duke!!!
    The two teams have the same record. The winner goes up by one game. If the winner happens to lose their last game and the loser wins theirs, they wind up with the same record again, however the winner of Friday's game has the tie breaker,vwhich is head to head. Therefore the winner of Friday's game will be the first seed.

Note I said first seed, not regular season champs. In case of a tie, both teams would be able to hang a banner.

The two teams have the same record. The winner goes up by one game. If the winner happens to lose their last game and the loser wins theirs, they wind up with the same record again, however the winner of Friday's game has the tie breaker,vwhich is head to head. Therefore the winner of Friday's game will be the first seed.

Note I said first seed, not regular season champs. In case of a tie, both teams would be able to hang a banner.
    You're right. Damn unbalanced schedule -- I was assuming this was their second meeting of the season... Ugh!

Still, I sure would hate it if we beat MIA and then lost to NC@CH...
    Almost begs the question, "If you had to choose, which game would you rather win?"

You're right. Damn unbalanced schedule -- I was assuming this was their second meeting of the season... Ugh!

Still, I sure would hate it if we beat MIA and then lost to NC@CH...
    Almost begs the question, "If you had to choose, which game would you rather win?"
    If the team had to lose one of the two, the RPI would be better losing to the higher rated team.

Ah, the heck with rationalizing, always choose to beat the hell out of the heels!