Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    State zoned for most of the first half hoping that we'd be in better shape without CJL and Howell in foul trouble and Carolina can't hit all their threes.

Carolina is just too talented to give any of their guys an opening. Pick your poison. First game we let them maul us on the inside. This one we let them bomb away.

Until we get more talent and depth, there isn't much we can do when we get their A+ effort every game. I swear they don't play this hard against Duke.

Marshall will never have another game like that. But they have help on the way.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    But you guys don't understand, UNC doesn't shoot that many 3's while the other teams settle for 3's against them. Oh wait, they shot 18 3's to NC State's 13 3's yet they still were called for 7 less fouls. Next, you'll tell me they are good at drawing fouls on their 3 point attempts?
    Sadly there were several questionable calls against the Red and White tonight which will continue to fuel the fire. UNC shot the ball way better than normal, which stinks. Some of the off the ball foul calls on State were like "what the heck"?

I thought State played with good energy the entire night and never quit. They are just one or two players short of being able to compete against the top teams. Howell and Leslie have to stay out of foul trouble for State to have any chance against a UNC that is playing that well. State played well offensively but just could not get enough stops. They also missed a ton of free throws. They held their own against Henson and Zeller inside, but the UNC 3 Ball killed them. Offensively, I thought UNC maxed out and played about as well as they can play. Certainly shot the ball from 3 far better than they have all season long. Figures it would happen against State.

Hopefully this games strong shooting gives the team some confidence from outside that's been lacking. It's been their weakness all season. It's a bummer Pj Hairston is still mired in his freshman shooting slump, if his outside shots start falling, look out, everybody will feel it.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Hopefully this games strong shooting gives the team some confidence from outside that's been lacking. It's been their weakness all season. It's a bummer Pj Hairston is still mired in his freshman shooting slump, if his outside shots start falling, look out, everybody will feel it.
    The thing with Hairston is he takes bad shots. His shot selection has been horrible of late. Which is why his PT has dropped. He took 2 bad shots tonight that led to State runouts and easy scores. Roy yanked him after the 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I swear they don't play this hard against Duke.
    That's what Duke folk say about UNC versus State. I say this with love, as I have three degrees from Duke and State.

I swear Kendall Marshall can't suddenly shoot like Steve Kerr when they play us in Durham?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

It's karma

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Marshall will never have another game like that. But they have help on the way.
    One of the reasons State had such a big lead on Duke was that Alex Johnson hit his first three 3-point attempts against Duke. He was 4-of-21 against ACC competition before the Duke game.

Sometimes that happens ... on the other hand, Kenny Kadji's 4-for-5 on 3's against Duke is just a mild abberation. He is hitting 47.8 percent on 46 3-point attempts this season. It was his best 3-point game, but not by much.

Johnson's night was a lot like Marshall's tonight -- completely out of character (the 3-point shooting, not the assists -- that's what he does).

What OF said. Sample size.

State dared Marshall to shoot. He did. Inexplicably, his makes clustered in this game. With his normal percentage, this game is bout even.

Gary did this to Duhon in 2002. Up there, it didn't work. He copied Calhoun (1999) and dropped a guard into or near the lane. Chris coulda made them pay, didn't.

Interesting how this stuff works out. Poor State. This reminds me of Michael Lewis' article on Shane about three years ago. A lot of games turn on <5 possessions. Somebody like Kendall goes off like he did? That moves the dial.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I fully expect Marshall to stop using his right hand for the rest of the game, just to give State a little bit of a chance.
    "There's something... <gasp> ...I have to tell you."
    Last edited by shoutingncu; 02-22-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: I know you, of all people, should get the reference...

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post
    "There's something... <gasp> ...I have to tell you."
    Hope you're not too deep in the iocane powder about now.