Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Duke Football 2012 Spring Practice

Spring practice starts on Wednesday with Duke returning 44 lettermen and 17 starters. Here are links to the article at GoDuke and to the Spring prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Spring is approaching and optimism is in the air!
    Bob Green

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Spring practice starts on Wednesday with Duke returning 44 lettermen and 17 starters. Here are links to the article at GoDuke and to the Spring prospectus:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf8/8...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Spring is approaching and optimism is in the air!
    Line that football up and let me kick away, Lucy-- I'm ready! Getting ready to re-up my season tickets.

And seriously, Bob, thanks for the links.

For those of us basketball fans who inexplicably find ourselves following Duke football these days (damn you, Coach Cut! ), anyone care to give us the short version on what to expect and/or hope for? Offense could be better, right (not that it was bad last year)? Is the O-line going to get even better, hold, or take a step back? How about the defense-- any bright spots there? Or hope for collective improvement? Any coaching changes on either side of the ball?

Coach Cutcliffe will be speaking at a pre-spring practice press conference today at 12:30P. Check out live coverage on goduke.com.

In answer to one of your questions, alteran, we have a new OL coach, John Latina http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2011.

The current roster plus the incoming class give us a lot to look forward to next season. Spring Scrimmage will be March 31...

Any of the Spring practices open to the public?

Open practices will be announced on goduke.com.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Coach Cutcliffe will be speaking at a pre-spring practice press conference today at 12:30P. Check out live coverage on goduke.com.

In answer to one of your questions, alteran, we have a new OL coach, John Latina http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...&Q_SEASON=2011.

The current roster plus the incoming class give us a lot to look forward to next season. Spring Scrimmage will be March 31...
    Does anyone know how many of the incoming freshman enrolled early and thus will be participating in Spring Practice? To me that is a huge benefit for the freshman not expected to redshirt. Thanks in advance...

Thomas Sirk was the only freshman to enroll early this year.

Red face

Just got off the phone with Michael in ticket office. Mrs PDDuke85 and myself are now the proud parents of our first ever football season tickets. In Cut we trust!

Some notes.

Position changes.

Two biggees. Isaac Blakeney is now a tight end and Brandon Braxton is now a safety.

Lee Butler has moved from safety to corner, Joey Finison is a center and walk-on Robert Shofner has moved from OL to NG.

Cut suggested that Blakeney might still get a look on defense. But Duke lost Helfet and Parker after last season, while Braxton Deaver and Jack Farrell are out for the spring following surgery. So, Duke has no healthy, experienced TEs. Red-shirt freshman David Reeves is the starter, with Blakeney the back-up. Two freshmen TEs arrive in the fall but Duke hopes to redshirt both.

Braxton? Cut said the move was made because Braxton had more of a chance to win a game as a safety than as a receiver. Says Braxton is enthusiastic. Loves to hit.

The receiver corps is in a bit of shambles. Vernon and Crowder will be restricted in the spring because of lingering injuries. So, lots of reps for Tyree Watkins, Corey Gattis, Blair Holliday and Nick Hill. Cut suggested that one or more of the true freshmen should be in the mix come fall.

Other injuries? Dewalt-Ondijo-out for spring. Kelby Brown-Not 100 percent. August Gamble out for spring (shoulder surgery).

Kenny Anunike should be back by fall. Duke pursuing 6th year.

Josh Snead is healthy. Cut indicated that Snead needs to understand that rehab is fulltime and needs to address the underlying problems behind his injuries.

Duke looking to have more multiple position players. We might see Connette and Boone in the backfield at the same time, forcing the defense to guess as to who's on first.

Coming in for special praise? Jamal Bruce and Dezmond Johnson. Bruce "outstanding" off-season. Johnson up to 255 but might be Duke's fastest DL. Jamal Wallace up to 270, Sarmiento at 300. Sarmiento had minor knee surgery but ready to go.

Cut wants lot of competition for PT. "After a 3-9 record, you think there would be some jobs available."

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Two biggees. Isaac Blakeney is now a tight end and Brandon Braxton is now a safety.
    Those are both really interesting moves. Blakeney is one of the best athletes on the team but it seems like he can't figure out how to fit in with the DL. I hope his athleticism is a huge factor in switching to TE, because his size and speed could put him in the Jimmy Graham/Rob Gronkowski mold of TEs (although he is a little smaller than those guys).

Braxton at safety is the bigger deal, I think. We lose Matt Daniels next year, who was far and away our best guy on that side of the ball, and replace him with what I think is a similar athlete. I imagine Cut sees this as filling Daniels's spot. As a now former WR, Braxton should be a little more ball-oriented than Daniels was, and this should help out Cockrell and the other CBs.

Both of these guys are big athletes, so their moves are really interesting to watch. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Josh Snead is healthy. Cut indicated that Snead needs to understand that rehab is fulltime and needs to address the underlying problems behind his injuries.
    Is this a conditioning issue?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    Is this a conditioning issue?
    Reading between the lines here. But it appears that Cut isn't completely happy with Snead's approach to rehab. My notes read "have to wipe out the defiencies that cause the injuries."

Some notes.

Position changes.

Two biggees. Brandon Braxton is now a safety.

Lee Butler has moved from safety to corner, Joey Finison is a center and walk-on Robert Shofner has moved from OL to NG.

Cut suggested that Blakeney might still get a look on defense. But Duke lost Helfet and Parker after last season, while Braxton Deaver and Jack Farrell are out for the spring following surgery. So, Duke has no healthy, experienced TEs. Red-shirt freshman David Reeves is the starter, with Blakeney the back-up. Two freshmen TEs arrive in the fall but Duke hopes to redshirt both.

Braxton? Cut said the move was made because Braxton had more of a chance to win a game as a safety than as a receiver. Says Braxton is enthusiastic. Loves to hit.

The receiver corps is in a bit of shambles. Vernon and Crowder will be restricted in the spring because of lingering injuries. So, lots of reps for Tyree Watkins, Corey Gattis, Blair Holliday and Nick Hill. Cut suggested that one or more of the true freshmen should be in the mix come fall.

Other injuries? Dewalt-Ondijo-out for spring. Kelby Brown-Not 100 percent. August Gamble out for spring (shoulder surgery).
    Oh yes, because our last WR to Defensive Back position transition worked well, huh Johnny Williams. I guess that was for a corner position but still...yuck.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Oh yes, because our last WR to Defensive Back position transition worked well, huh Johnny Williams. I guess that was for a corner position but still...yuck.
    Actually, Tony Foster and Josh Trezvant came later than Williams. Like Braxton, Foster and Trezvant were pretty good on special teams.

So, maybe fourth time is the charm.

Recall that Duke lost Varner to graduation. And I don't think it's unfair to suggest that Watkins and Gattis are complementary receivers at best.

So this only works if several of Holliday, Crowder, Hill, Nash and/or McCaffrey step up in a big way.

Sounds like a pile of injuries going into Spring practice...but as bummed as I was about last season I'm already getting excited about football again, can't wait to read the reports on this years practices!

Reading between the lines here. But it appears that Cut isn't completely happy with Snead's approach to rehab. My notes read "have to wipe out the defiencies that cause the injuries."
    I thought Snead had turf toe - Kyrie's injury, but not as bad. How does conditioning affect turf toe? Someone who knows - please educate us!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I'm psyched. Thanks for the updates Jim. I am shocked at the Blakeny move to offense. Before he got hurt, he was looking like a bnig time play maker on D, which we sorely need.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Thanks for the updates! Those of us away from Durham do not get the good info -- please keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks for the updates! Those of us away from Durham do not get the good info -- please keep it coming!
    Don't worry. I'm looking after your interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Don't worry. I'm looking after your interests.
    "DiBD -- accept no substitutes"