Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Here's a direct quote from Adam Gold's blog: "First, it should be known that Karl Hess is one of the best, if not the best, officials in the Atlantic Coast Conference -- if not all of college basketball."

Yeah, I know - it IS Adam Gold, after all.

Link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/10755429/
    Was this an early April Fool's Day post by Adam Gold? Or is his blog now being posted in the Onion.
    Windy City Devil

Here's a direct quote from Adam Gold's blog: "First, it should be known that Karl Hess is one of the best, if not the best, officials in the Atlantic Coast Conference -- if not all of college basketball."

"He keeps using that word. I do not believe it means what he thinks it means."

For everyone taking a shot at this man's officiating, perhaps you can explain why he gets so many games. He's an independent contractor desired by several conferences. What he did at the RBC Center is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    For everyone taking a shot at this man's officiating, perhaps you can explain why he gets so many games. He's an independent contractor desired by several conferences. What he did at the RBC Center is another matter.
    Low bidder?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Was this an early April Fool's Day post by Adam Gold? Or is his blog now being posted in the Onion.
    Maybe he was channeling his inner Tim Duncan?

Yeah, I know - it IS Adam Gold, after all.

Link: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/10755429/
    Clearly some other folks agree that he is a good official considering that Hess refereed the National Championship game just a few years ago:

box score

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt '04 View Post
    Clearly some other folks agree that he is a good official considering that Hess refereed the National Championship game just a few years ago:

box score
    I agree, what one personally thinks of Hess' officiating is neither here nor there. But since he's such a seasoned and brilliant official, he should have absolutely no problem clearly and succinctly elucidating what actions required ejecting two fans (VIPs at that) from their seats.

There were plenty of witnesses around, Hess will be fortunate in that there will be plenty of people to corroborate what he claims required such drastic action.

ACC Sanctions Hess

Still unsatisfying. Protocol wasn't followed. Fine.

But here's the thing. These are two members of NC State royalty. They're not exempt from the rules. They can be thrown out if warranted.

But they better be doing something pretty darn bad to get the boot. Something much worse than it would take for, say, me to be shown the exit.

Hard to imagine anything they could have said to Hess - in the presence of their preteen daughters - that would justify booting them. Hess almost certainly overreacted, and basically kicked an already-irate fan base in the teeth.

I do not care how good this ref is "in game", he bonered up bad enough that days later we are talking about a zebra's off court antics more than we are talking about Seth Curry from last night.

That's just wrong.

Hess is a mess, pick from the rest. There have got to be plenty of other good officials out there that can keep their panties out of a bunch long enough to call a game without going Ole Roy on homecourt legends.

As I said before, I long for the day when technology makes the zebras obsolete. I'm thinking it's in that truck that makes the yellow line that let's me know when I can get another beer...

Sanction would imply a fine, or losing games. I don't see that either happened, so I question that Hess was "sanctioned". And I would like to know what they did that warranted ejection. We know that chants of "**** Redick" are not enough to get fans ejected, and wearing shirts on the TV side that say "**** Duke" aren't enough to get one ejected. So what did they do that was worse than that?

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Someone pointed out that I linked an obsolete article. Oops. Here's one that mentions that explicitly mentions that Hess was reprimanded.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/acc-reprimands-hess-for-ejections-at-nc-state

I'll have to admit the playcallers well written defense of potential reasons for Hess's actions has me backing off my knee jerk reaction to skewer him.

It still seems like an overreaction, but Hess was in charge and I see situations all the time where people with responsibilities are easy targets for actually making the hard decisions, ones that have issues everyone else rarely sees.
    The front page article reminded me of that.

They only people never criticized are those who generally fail to do anything or accept some responsibility.

Playcaller has me giving him the benefit of the doubt ...this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    ... Playcaller has me giving him the benefit of the doubt ...this time.
    It's one thing to give Hess the benefit of the doubt on the need to remove G & C because they were interfering with the administration of the game. [Is there video of them going up to the scorer's table as Hess said? Others see that? Would be interesting to see what G & C did.]

That said, by not following procedure and by handling it the way he did (for which the conference publicly reprimanded him), Hess seemingly created a worse situation -- or at least a whole 'nother problem -- than the one he was trying to handle.

So, maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt that they needed to be removed, but he still handled it incorrectly.

Front page articles

W
    I'll have to admit the playcallers well written defense of potential reasons for Hess's actions has me backing off my knee jerk reaction to skewer him.

It still seems like an overreaction, but Hess was in charge and I see situations all the time where people with responsibilities are easy targets for actually making the hard decisions, ones that have issues everyone else rarely sees.
    The front page article reminded me of that.

They only people never criticized are those who generally fail to do anything or accept some responsibility.

Playcaller has me giving him the benefit of the doubt ...this time.
    While I agree the playmaker's front page article was well written, I like Al's article on the Wolfpack's dilema more. Al hits the nail on the head regarding unc Johnny Swofford's role as ACC commissoner. He is a joke and should be removed from his position. GoDuke!

I'd agree he still handled it incorrectly, even if his reasons for his actions were sound.

He should be held accountable for those actions, but we should all look to see that there is fairness and balance applied as well.

Hadn't noticed this point earlier

From Brett Friedlander:

" Considering that Hess was a member of the crew that affected the outcome of a game in Syracuse earlier this season by missing an obvious goaltending call, he might be advised to pay more attention to the action on the court than in the stands from here on out."

Interesting, it didn't have that effect on me at all. Although well written, the response does nothing to sway me in any way in Hess' favor. My current reaction is pretty much the same as my knee jerk reaction. Perhaps it would be different if it weren't an official who's known, not for being a good official, but for having a habit of trying to make the game about him.

article

Playcaller's take is an interesting perspective that none of the rest of us have. I can see the point he is getting at regarding potential distraction at/near the scorer's table. But there are two key questions unanswered:

1. If G&C were being distracting, was it in fact at/near the scorer's table and interfering with game operations?
    2. If anything they were doing was (or was becoming) a distraction to the point of interfering with the game, were they warned and told of the potential consequences of continuing that behavior? If not, why not? (This is the part that bugs me and I think a lot of us... that it seems from afar like a pure power trip and why didn't he take steps to address the problem - if there was one - in a more appropriate and stepwise fashion?)

The only scenario I can see justifying this line of thinking is if C&G were in fact purposely interfering with game operations, had been warned, and then proceeded to ignore the warning. Doesn't sound like what happened, but I wasn't there and unfortunately we may never know unless reliable sources sitting nearby are able to shed additional light since the ACC is clearly not going to provide any further details/explanation.

I tend to agree with Elvis14. The playcaller's argument for a fellow referee did not convince me. The key in these instances is to let the folks who are "excessive" know the consequences if they continue their behaviour. Apparently, Corchiani was never told that his behaviour could lead to an ejection.

gw67