Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

State vs. Florida State

Karl Hess just tossed Tom Gugliotta. What is this guys major malfunction? How is he still allowed to be a ref?

Who was the second former player tossed out by Karl Hess?
    Bob Green

Chris Corchiani was the other.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Chris Corchiani was the other.
    Thanks!

Richard Howell was very demonstrative when called for his 5th foul. I'm a bit surprised he wasn't T'd up.
    Bob Green

Hess is clearly a man with issues. It seems like every game is about Hess proving that, as Hans Gruber said, "Make no mistake...we are in charge."

Wait, Hess tossed out former players? For what?

I'm tired of seeing coaches and officials take control of the stands. If it doesn't affect the play of the game (throwing stuff on the court) then they shouldn't get involved. If security sees something and deems it worthy of an ejection, let them handle it. Undoubtedly Hess heard something that he didn't like, probably about himself. But he's a ref, get over it. Same with Roy. Obviously this is a biased opinion currently because I loath Roy and Hess, but this is just getting ridiculous. Much worse things are said up in the bleeds, my comments during the game, aren't exactly nice.

Tom Gugliotta for the T-wolves was always my go to guy in NBA Live 95.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I'm tired of seeing coaches and officials take control of the stands. If it doesn't affect the play of the game (throwing stuff on the court) then they shouldn't get involved. If security sees something and deems it worthy of an ejection, let them handle it. Undoubtedly Hess heard something that he didn't like, probably about himself. But he's a ref, get over it. Same with Roy. Obviously this is a biased opinion currently because I loath Roy and Hess, but this is just getting ridiculous. Much worse things are said up in the bleeds, my comments during the game, aren't exactly nice.

Tom Gugliotta for the T-wolves was always my go to guy in NBA Live 95.
    Maybe Hess thought they were rowdy Presbyterian fans?

This should really light up the State boards, after the statistics on fouls that were posted previously. One would think that foul differential would tend to cluster around the mean. When one team consistently has a better foul differential than all the others, it is not surprising that some people would ask questions. And when the day after those stats are posted, two ACC legends are tossed from the stands by one of those officials, one could reasonably question whether there is some underlying problem. And when the conference commissioner is a graduate of the school that "gets all the calls" there is even more reason for question.

I have long thought that Hess is a tool. If as is reported there was no profanity, and the league takes no action, it will lend credence to reports that there is some favoritism in the officiating. And no league can long tolerate that.

Just wondering out loud. How long would it take to clear out all the Crazies?

Seriously, he has now brought attention to himself and as a result, I suspect that even games outside the ACC will result in lots and lots of verbal taunts being directed his way.

the refs bias

The NC State fans have it in their minds that they are always getting screwed by the refs. They see every game that way. The Duke loss was all about the refs -- even though State was called for just three more fouls than Duke. They are going nuts during the FSU loss even though they end up shooting 10 more free throws than the Noles. But point that out and they say, well against Duke they got our starters in foul trouble (never mind that they play a seven man rotation) and even with the favorable FT stats against FSU, I'm sure the average Wolfpack reaction is that they should have shot 20 more free throws than the Noles, not 10.

All that said, it's ridiculous that Hess would have two fans who weren't throwing things and weren't threatening anybody ejected. It's right up there with Roy having the Presbyterian fan tossed in Chapel Hill. RABBIT EARS!!!!

Still, I hate that it will reinforce the myth that the refs and ACC are out to get the Pack

BRW: Awesome finish in the meaningless Georgia Tech at Clemson game -- Udofia puts GT up 2 in OT afer an amazing shot with 5.3 seconds left, but the Hokies win on a buzzer-beaating 3.

Hess never does any games at Comcast Center...?

what they said

Take this for what it's worth, but a fan who claimed to be sitting two rows behind Gugliotta and Corchiani reported at Pack Pride:

I know there is already multiple threads talking about this, but I didn't want the actual facts to get lost in them.

I was sitting two rows behind Chris & Tom. If you watch the video I am in the second row of SWPC members. I heard everything, including when another ref called out a student near me for saying "Quit looking at the dance team." The cop came over and just laughed at the comment and said, you are fine you can stay.

Chris and Tom were harmlessly complaining about the ref. No profanity. They had two very young daughters with them and I doubt they would ever cuss with them there. I never saw anything other than just average complaining.

Karl walked over and pointed at them and said, "Get them out of here." He then found a cop and said, "I want you to get them out of here. Those two right there."

If you listen closely to the video you can hear him say the 'those two' comment.

And that was pretty much that. I was right there. I saw it first-hand thats exactly what happened almost word for word.

I was in shock. Someone next to me asked, "why are you so upset? who are those guys?" I responded by pointing to the rafters at their two jerseys. Debbie Yow needs to seriously do something about this.

And from another post:

From a friend's twitter who was sitting on the front row:

"The guys in front of me got kicked out of the game for saying "that's a bad call ref". How can you get kicked out for that. "

"The dudes little daughters had to sit by themselves the rest of the game."

Again, these are message board posts ... don't take them as gospel. Still, it will be interesting to see the feedback on this.

I can't think of a better way for the ACC to fan State's paranoia than to have Karl Hess throw these guys out of the arena. Tuesday night should be very interesting. What is the over/under on a riot when Kerlina gets all the calls?

And does Debbie Yow have a conversation with John Clougherty and John Swofford?

I find it extremely difficult to believe that nothing was said to Hess. I know that we said some pretty ridiculous stuff to him in particular, which I know he heard, because you'd get that look from him, and he never booted any of us. I'm gonna go out on alimb and guess that someone in the vicinity was dropping f bombs. Wether or not it was Googs an Corchinni, that may be up for debate.

Huh

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    BRW: Awesome finish in the meaningless Georgia Tech at Clemson game -- Udofia puts GT up 2 in OT afer an amazing shot with 5.3 seconds left, but the Hokies win on a buzzer-beaating 3.
    How could the Hokies win a game between GT and Clemson? Seems like maybe the refs should look at the monitor to see which teams were playing.
    Last edited by MChambers; 02-18-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of "refs"

Amazing footage, Bob! There's gotta be some fallout from that move.

Googs and Corchiani are 2 of my top 10 favorite State Players. I can't believe Hess would pull that, especially at State.

From the looks of it, I bet both those guys would've wanted to punch him in the face.

Whether or not it was justified, I think Hess will have some explaining to do.

Karl Hess and Jamie Luckie

It is amazing to me how the ACC has two of the worst refs I have ever seen, Karl Hess and Jamie Luckie
    This compares the two: http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/co...=blowout#chart

They both average about 35 fouls called a game, but interesting enough they do not seem to favor the home or away team when it comes to foul difference.

Something else that is interesting, in close games Hess calls a lot more fouls than he does in blowouts. As compared to Luckie who calls about 35 no matter what the score.

Quote Originally Posted by cameroncrazy3104 View Post
    It is amazing to me how the ACC has two of the worst refs I have ever seen, Karl Hess and Jamie Luckie
    This compares the two: http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/co...=blowout#chart

They both average about 35 fouls called a game, but interesting enough they do not seem to favor the home or away team when it comes to foul difference.

Something else that is interesting, in close games Hess calls a lot more fouls than he does in blowouts. As compared to Luckie who calls about 35 no matter what the score.
    There's already plenty of live ammo lying around for you to fire at Hess. No need to dig up innocuous-but-useless stats, and then to twist them into something objectively false. Neither Hess nor Luckie calls 35 fouls a game. Honestly. Thirty-five is the average number of fouls--total--called in their respective games.