Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    On CBS sportsline, Jerry Palm has 9 out of the 12 Big 10+2 teams making the NCAA tournament. 75% of the conference???

Over the past 10 yrs (I don't have the data in front of me), but it sure seems to me that the Big 10+2 gets way more love by the NCAA tournament selection committee than the ACC has. That is, despite the fact that the Big 10 has not won a title since 2000...and the ACC has won 5 of the last 11 tournaments.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    On CBS sportsline, Jerry Palm has 9 out of the 12 Big 10+2 teams making the NCAA tournament. 75% of the conference??
    I'm not sure what conference you're referring to (the B1g Ten I guess), but back in the eight-team era the ACC got six teams in (75%) on several occasions. I think the Big Eight did it a couple times too. So not unheard of. Also there are 38 at-large bids now. When NC State is seriously discussed as a tournament candidate you know there are LOTS of bids out there.

Regarding the #1 seeds, I don't think we're good enough to play our way into one, but it's not out of the question. Ky and the Cuse aren't moving off their perches, but the other two #1s are certainly up for grabs. Mizzou's gonna win out? Really? In 2010 we weren't a serious candidate for a #1 until the last week of the season, a stretch in which we dropped a game even. Weird stuff happens towards the ends of regular seasons; schedules tighten up and teams start dropping games. Duke has not been immune to this phenomenon (1997, 2008).

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Dingleberry View Post
    Washington would be a really, really scary opponent in the second round of the tourney for a lot of top seeds. I would want nothing to do with them.
    unc would probably be happy to see them again this year Greensboro, just like they did in (UN)Charlotte last year.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Earlier today, Wichita State won a major bracket buster game at Davidson.

Also today, UConn continues to play their way out of the NCAA field with a lackluster home loss to Marquette. The Huskies are now 16-10 overalll and 6-8 in the Big East. Two of their next three are on the road and the one home game coming up is against No. 2 Syracuse. They've lost six of their last eight.

But as of Thursday, Lunardi doesn't have them in trouble. He still has them as a No. 9 seed. Gotta say, they're season looks an awful lot like UNC's 2010 NIT season.
    I hope uconn doesn't make the tournament...I don't want to watch them play this year any more than i have to

downright terrible...their offense looks like a game of "redlight green light" with the light always red...
    1200. DDMF.

D uke in 1998?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Weird stuff happens towards the ends of regular seasons; schedules tighten up and teams start dropping games. Duke has not been immune to this phenomenon (1997, 2008).
    Well, 1998 is a bad example -- Duke won nine straight in February/March then dropped the ACC championship game to UNC that year, but still got a No. 1 seed.

1997 -- okay, I buy that one, Duke lost two of its last three regular season games, then fell to NC State in the first round of the ACC. After losing three of four leading into Selection Sunday, Duke got a No. 2 seed.

Duke got a No. 1 in 2001, despite losing to Maryland in the last week of the regular season and in 2002, despite losing to Virginia in the lastw eek of the regular season. Duke got a No. 1 in 2004 despite losing to Georgia Tech in the last week of the regular season and then losing to Maryland in the ACC title game.

The 2005 team got a surprise No. 1 after losing to UNC in the finale and finished third in the ACC regular season standings.

The 2006 team got a No. 1 after losing its last two regular season games.

The 2010 team got a No. 1 despite losing at Maryland in the last week of the season.

The 2011 team got a No. 1 despite losing to Virginia Tech, then to UNC in the regular season finale.

Of course, the common denominator in all those years (except 2004() was that Duke won the ACC Tournament. Do that and there's a good chance Duke gets a No. 1.

In fact, I'll go on record -- if Duke wins out, the Devils are a stone cold lock to be a No. 1 seed.

If they split with Florida State and UNC, then win the ACC Tournament, I think there's about an 80 percent chance that Duke gets a No. 1 seed (assuming no crazy loss at home to VPI or at Wake).

Anything less than that and Duke will be a No. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    In fact, I'll go on record -- if Duke wins out, the Devils are a stone cold lock to be a No. 1 seed.
    Well, of course. At the moment Duke has four wins against the top 11, all of them away from home. Of the four losses, three of them are to currently ranked teams, and the worst loss isn't that bad. Winning out would probably involve adding three more top 25 wins - one home, one neutral, one away. And Duke has head-to-head victories over two of the teams fighting for a 1 seed.

There are serious problems this team needs to fix, I think underestimated by some here. But the resume is amazing.

I'm not sure what conference you're referring to (the B1g Ten I guess), but back in the eight-team era the ACC got six teams in (75%) on several occasions. I think the Big Eight did it a couple times too. So not unheard of. Also there are 38 at-large bids now. When NC State is seriously discussed as a tournament candidate you know there are LOTS of bids out there.

Regarding the #1 seeds, I don't think we're good enough to play our way into one, but it's not out of the question. Ky and the Cuse aren't moving off their perches, but the other two #1s are certainly up for grabs. Mizzou's gonna win out? Really? In 2010 we weren't a serious candidate for a #1 until the last week of the season, a stretch in which we dropped a game even. Weird stuff happens towards the ends of regular seasons; schedules tighten up and teams start dropping games. Duke has not been immune to this phenomenon (1997, 2008).
    Yes, it is the conference formally known as the Big 10...and then the Big 10+1 and now the Big 10+2.

Northwestern is 6-8 in conference play with Illinois and Minnesota at 5-9. How many times have deserving ACC squads heard that the magical .500 in conference play standard is necessary. NC state and Miami's 7-5 conference records seem to be a bit more consistent with the justification that has been voiced in the past.

That being said, the dilution of quality teams due to the increased # of bids will make the bubble teams even less worthwhile than historically.
    Windy City Devil

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    On CBS sportsline, Jerry Palm has 9 out of the 12 Big 10+2 teams making the NCAA tournament. 75% of the conference???

Over the past 10 yrs (I don't have the data in front of me), but it sure seems to me that the Big 10+2 gets way more love by the NCAA tournament selection committee than the ACC has. That is, despite the fact that the Big 10 has not won a title since 2000...and the ACC has won 5 of the last 11 tournaments.
    I recall in the past that committee members do not take conference affiliation into account when evaluating resumes. Yes, it's certainly hard for that many teams from one conference to make it when they play each other so much, but if the non-con resumes are good enough, its not inconceivable.

How many championships a conference wins is irrelevant, because the committee determines your placement based on your play this year. As much as fans want to take all of these 'other' factors into account, they simply aren't in play. UNC winning a championship in 2005 has nothing at all to do with resumes of Illinois and Miami this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I recall in the past that committee members do not take conference affiliation into account when evaluating resumes. Yes, it's certainly hard for that many teams from one conference to make it when they play each other so much, but if the non-con resumes are good enough, its not inconceivable.

How many championships a conference wins is irrelevant, because the committee determines your placement based on your play this year. As much as fans want to take all of these 'other' factors into account, they simply aren't in play. UNC winning a championship in 2005 has nothing at all to do with resumes of Illinois and Miami this year.
    I just don't understand this hypocrisy of the committee. Its like a good midmajor has to win the conference tournament to get it but a team in the big 12 or big east can finish under .500 in their conference and get an at-large bid. Why is it that for some teams you look at the overall resume, but for others you check to see if they one a single game! Its frankly absurd. Nothing made me more furious than watching all those mediocre big east teams get in the tournament last year. It was very rewarding to watch them get crushed while almost every ACC team won at least one game.

good mid-major?

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I just don't understand this hypocrisy of the committee. Its like a good midmajor has to win the conference tournament to get it but a team in the big 12 or big east can finish under .500 in their conference and get an at-large bid. Why is it that for some teams you look at the overall resume, but for others you check to see if they one a single game! Its frankly absurd. Nothing made me more furious than watching all those mediocre big east teams get in the tournament last year. It was very rewarding to watch them get crushed while almost every ACC team won at least one game.
    I think you are overstating the case.

Quite a few teams from the good mid-majors get in as at large bids (example, VCU last year).

The battle between second andthird mid-major teams and fifth and sixth BCS conference teams has been debated for years.

I believe that for every team they do look at the total resume -- divorced of conference standing. But they will always favor a team with 3-4 top 50 wins and 6-7 top 10 wins over a team with a better overall record compiled against plus-100 teams.

I haven't checked the committee this season, but for the last four years, the MAJORITY of the committee members come from non-major conferences. I don't believe any mid-majors are getting screwed. I also don't think the Big 10 will get eight teams in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Well, of course. At the moment Duke has four wins against the top 11, all of them away from home. Of the four losses, three of them are to currently ranked teams, and the worst loss isn't that bad. Winning out would probably involve adding three more top 25 wins - one home, one neutral, one away. And Duke has head-to-head victories over two of the teams fighting for a 1 seed.

There are serious problems this team needs to fix, I think underestimated by some here. But the resume is amazing.
    Just wanted to note that Duke actually has 3 wins over the other possible #1 seeds and all away from Cameron; KU, MSU, UNC.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    Why is it that for some teams you look at the overall resume, but for others you check to see if they one a single game!
    ESPN makes it seem that way with BracketBuster weekend, but the committee is not made up of Gottlieb, Katz, and Brennan. The committee is supposed to factor in an entire season's worth of resume, while also putting a little extra weight on the end of the season to account for changes in personnel that might have occurred (injuries, transfers).

I give the committee credit for trying to sift through a ton of data and make some difficult decisions. It is indeed a bad system, and I agree with Bilas that the auto-bid system hurts good teams from lesser conferences.

Regarding the #1 seeds, I don't think we're good enough to play our way into one, but it's not out of the question. Ky and the Cuse aren't moving off their perches, but the other two #1s are certainly up for grabs. Mizzou's gonna win out? Really?
    Your skepticism was spot on. Missouri(#3) just lost at home to unranked Kansas State 78-68. And Georgetown (#8) lost to Seton Hall 73-55.
    Bob Green

I'm pessimistic that we'll do two of three of these feats (1) sweep UNC, (2) win at Tallahassee, (3) Win ACCT.

As such, I am rooting for Duke to be #2 in the Midwest. For obvious reasons. And we've already measured up with Michigan State this year. And we won the whole hoedown in 1991 as MW #2.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I would like to win Thursday night. Quite frankly, nothing else is important now.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    I would like to win Thursday night. Quite frankly, nothing else is important now.
    i mean...beating carolina a week from saturday on senior night in cameron would be nice.... :P
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i mean...beating carolina a week from saturday on senior night in cameron would be nice.... :P
    Yeah, but we can deal with that after the Wake game.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Your skepticism was spot on. Missouri(#3) just lost at home to unranked Kansas State 78-68. And Georgetown (#8) lost to Seton Hall 73-55.
    I don't think Mizzou is done losing, either. The Big XII strikes me as rather competitive this year, and anyway their next game is in Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I'm pessimistic that we'll do two of three of these feats (1) sweep UNC, (2) win at Tallahassee, (3) Win ACCT.
    Reminder: Roy doesn't give a crap about the ACC Tournament. Assuming #1 means only beating them in Cameron, I think doing two of those things is very likely, and all three is quite possible.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    One down, two to go!
    Bob Green