SPOILER ALERT

An interesting start to the season last night with a disappointing and unfortunate ending. I always feel bad for people who have to leave the game for medical reasons. And in this one, the injury happens in the very first challenge. It seems so unfair to be picked from thousands of applicants and finally make it on the show and be forced to leave without having really had a chance to play.

A few general thoughts:

I am glad they got rid of Redemption Island.

I think the Men vs. Women dynamic will prove very interesting. I hope they come up with some challenges that explore how well men and women work together.

I don't know if I like the idea of designated idols and forcing the finder to give it to someone on the other tribe. But it does raise a lot of interesting strategy questions and options. And I don't know why the women are so in love with Colton. He came across as rather annoying, and they should already see that he is not someone they should trust. I don't think Sabrina should have given him the idol so quickly. She should have waited to get a better sense of the dynamics and the alliances before giving it up. Perhaps she could have used Colton to find out if a man found the other idol and worked a trade with that person.

Could Matt be any more arrogant? I already can't see him winning. If the last few seasons prove anything, you need to be liked at the end.

I think Alicia might be crazy. I think either her or Christina is going to be the next to go for the sake of tribe harmony.

It has the potential to be a fun season.