Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Survivor - One World

SPOILER ALERT

An interesting start to the season last night with a disappointing and unfortunate ending. I always feel bad for people who have to leave the game for medical reasons. And in this one, the injury happens in the very first challenge. It seems so unfair to be picked from thousands of applicants and finally make it on the show and be forced to leave without having really had a chance to play.

A few general thoughts:

I am glad they got rid of Redemption Island.

I think the Men vs. Women dynamic will prove very interesting. I hope they come up with some challenges that explore how well men and women work together.

I don't know if I like the idea of designated idols and forcing the finder to give it to someone on the other tribe. But it does raise a lot of interesting strategy questions and options. And I don't know why the women are so in love with Colton. He came across as rather annoying, and they should already see that he is not someone they should trust. I don't think Sabrina should have given him the idol so quickly. She should have waited to get a better sense of the dynamics and the alliances before giving it up. Perhaps she could have used Colton to find out if a man found the other idol and worked a trade with that person.

Could Matt be any more arrogant? I already can't see him winning. If the last few seasons prove anything, you need to be liked at the end.

I think Alicia might be crazy. I think either her or Christina is going to be the next to go for the sake of tribe harmony.

It has the potential to be a fun season.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

The instructions said Sabrina had to give the idol to someone on the other tribe prior to the next tribal council. Otherwise, there would be no incentive to ever give it to anyone (unless a trade for the other idol could be worked out). So, Sabrina had to give it to someone.

That said, I really did not like her strategy of giving it to the least popular person for the men. Her strategy should have been to us the idol to form an alliance with someone with power on the other side. Sure, by giving it to Colton she might help him to get rid of one of the other tribe's stronger players, but the men have a lot of strong players. Missing one of them won't be that big a deal. Instead, she should have used the idol to build allies. Poor choice on her part.

There do appear to be some very unlikeable characters on the show so far. The men seem cliquey and the women just seem eager for a catfight. It will hash itself out over the next few episodes.

I am not a fan of them sharing a beach though the quest for fire was sorta fun. I wish the show had not granted the women fire so quickly. It would have been interesting to see them struggle with it a bit longer. I loved the men stealing the women's supplies at the start. How did none of the women notice what was going on?!?!

-Jason "too early to read much into what is going on--we don't even know who the alliances are yet" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Does anyone feel sorry for Colton? Oh my... Personally, if I were the guys I'd let him switch teams. He's not much of a help around camp and doesn't seem to the "athletic" type that would benefit them in challenges.

What was up with Kat jumping into the water over and over again? I just thought the heat was getting to her...Just bizarre!

I bet we see a tribal shuffle in the next few episodes as the men beating down the women could start to get old. I also bet we get nothing but puzzles for challenges until we get a tribal shuffle. It is clear that anything remotely physical is to the advantage of the men.

-Jason "Colton does seem pathetic" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I bet we see a tribal shuffle in the next few episodes as the men beating down the women could start to get old. I also bet we get nothing but puzzles for challenges until we get a tribal shuffle. It is clear that anything remotely physical is to the advantage of the men.

-Jason "Colton does seem pathetic" Evans
    Interesting tag line, given how pathetic Matt looked. he reminded me of the Fraternity President in "Sorority Boys" - just completely out of touch with the fact that he was toast! The fact that he actually referred to those in power as the "Average Joes" made it even funnier. What a tool.

So what is tomorrow's "game changer" they are advertizing?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    So what is tomorrow's "game changer" they are advertizing?
    I am tempted to say a tribal shuffle, but that is common enough that it would not get the hype that they are talking about in promos. I have to wonder if the constant intermingling of the two tribes is not causing problems. Colton seems to want to live in the women's camp while the women seem to constantly be coming to the men's camp for food, shelter, and warmth. Perhaps the show does something to penalize that behavior...

...then again, it would seem they wanted that kind of conflict when they put the two camps side-by-side like this.

-Jason "another possibility -- the men find the women's immunity idol and give it to someone in a strategic move" Evans

I did not expect that to happen anyone else.sorry i didnt want to elaborate.in-case someone hasn't watched it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I did not expect that to happen anyone else.sorry i didnt want to elaborate.in-case someone hasn't watched it yet.
    Wow. Just wow. I'll put my money on one of the most shortsighted and dumbest moves in Survivor history.

Leaving aside the specifics of tonight's craziness, I'll just say that I'm having a hard time finding anything redeeming about Colton. He's arrogant, petulant, and spiteful. What's more, his behavior at tribal council tonight was over the top classist, made all the more irksome by his sense of entitlement. [sarcasm warning] In his defense, he successfully deflected accusations of racism by noting that he has a close relationship with his family's African-Amercian housekeeper. What a piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Wow. Just wow. I'll put my money on one of the most shortsighted and dumbest moves in Survivor history.

Leaving aside the specifics of tonight's craziness, I'll just say that I'm having a hard time finding anything redeeming about Colton. He's arrogant, petulant, and spiteful. What's more, his behavior at tribal council tonight was over the top classist, made all the more irksome by his sense of entitlement. [sarcasm warning] In his defense, he successfully deflected accusations of racism by noting that he has a close relationship with his family's African-Amercian housekeeper. What a piece of work.
    I wanted to vote for Colton.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post

A tool, a complete tool. Can someone please get rid of this guy? It's nauseating watching his antics. I don't know if he's ever watched surivor before - but here's a quick lesson for Mr. Crumbie - you cannot win this game being this abrasive and leaving this trail of destruction behind. Maybe he should talk to Russell and ask how that worked out for him.

The next time he rolls his head I'm going to jump thru my screen...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    A tool, a complete tool. Can someone please get rid of this guy? It's nauseating watching his antics. I don't know if he's ever watched surivor before - but here's a quick lesson for Mr. Crumbie - you cannot win this game being this abrasive and leaving this trail of destruction behind. Maybe he should talk to Russell and ask how that worked out for him.

The next time he rolls his head I'm going to jump thru my screen...
    My wife was practically throwing stuff at the TV every time they showed the Colton head roll. He is far and away the most repulsive character in the history of the show... well, maybe Jerri Manthey came close back in season 2.

The men choosing to go to tribal was the stupidest move in Survivor history. It was way worse than the folks who got voted out with an idol in their pocket or anything like that. There is no way that Leif or Bill were so distasteful that the men had to go to tribal right away to get rid of them. It is mind-boggling that anyone would do that. They even talked about needing to have numbers at the merge but they went ahead of just reduced their numbers by 1. REALLY?!?!! Is basic math impossible for you to grasp? You were leading the women 8-7. You just voluntarily made it 7-7 instead of 8-6. Are you insane?!?!?! This was even worse than throwing a challenge to vote someone out. Absolutely mind-boggling.

It was clear that everyone went along with it because they all fear Colton. Jonah and Jay seemed to be baffled by it, but they never even considered going against Colton. Tarzan is utterly crazy with no filter between his brain (if he has one) and his mouth, so I get why he went with it. But, what about Troyzan, Jonah, and Jay? Why would they want to do this? They seem to think that if any one of them stands up to Colton at all, he will organize their ouster. Ummm, so just go to Bill, Leif, and/or Mike and get them to join you in voting out crazy Colton and Tarzan? One person only has power if you give it to them. These guys can take the power away from Colton if they want... but they are all too afraid to do it. Crazy... just crazy.

This is shaping up as a horrible season of Survivor. There are few characters to root for as all the men are cowards or Colton and the women hardly seem deserving because they keep on getting their butts kicked in challenges. I was really looking forward to the women voting out crazy Alicia, but it did not happen. Ahh well, maybe next week.

Speaking of next week, the previews sure seem to imply we are getting the long-awaited tribal shuffle. Maybe that will shake up the dynamic in such a way as to give us some characters worth rooting for... though I sorta doubt it.

Oh, and one major thing that last night's tribal revealed was that everyone knows Colton was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He openly talks about owning slaves... I mean employing housekeepers... and belonging to fancy country clubs. There is no way anyone votes to give him the million knowing that he is already rich. So, even if we are forced to endure him lasting a long time in the game (I hope not!!) rest assured that he cannot win the final vote.

-Jason "if Jonah, Sabrina, Jay, Troyzan, Kat, and Kim could be shuffled onto the same team, then I would have someone to root for!" Evans

Thumbs down Never thought that I'd miss Hanz...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    My wife was practically throwing stuff at the TV every time they showed the Colton head roll. He is far and away the most repulsive character in the history of the show... well, maybe Jerri Manthey came close back in season 2.
    I was amazed at Bill's composure. Not that violence is ever a solution, but I fear that I might have fed Colton my torch on the way out if he treated me that way. What an entitled richard. If he stays around much longer, I might have to stop watching the show - I don't want to "enable" this sort of "entertainment". I have kids...

Regarding the preview, my wife and I thought that it might be a Colton-focused move. In fact, my wife suggested that Jeff P might have decided to do something about Colton himself.

Also, I'm sure that the Republican party is proud to have Colton's continued support.

Wow.

My two least favorite castmembers on this season are Colton (who is just astonishingly unpleasant, even by the high standard of Survivor) and Alicia, so this was a particularly unsatisfying episode. Certainly hoping they get theirs eventually.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by brumby041 View Post
    I was amazed at Bill's composure. Not that violence is ever a solution, but I fear that I might have fed Colton my torch on the way out if he treated me that way. What an entitled richard. If he stays around much longer, I might have to stop watching the show - I don't want to "enable" this sort of "entertainment". I have kids...

Regarding the preview, my wife and I thought that it might be a Colton-focused move. In fact, my wife suggested that Jeff P might have decided to do something about Colton himself.

Also, I'm sure that the Republican party is proud to have Colton's continued support.

Wow.
    When Colton said, essentially, "I have lots of black friends... my maid for example," I wanted to strangle him myself. I am a bit stunned the rest of the guys in his tribe did not turn on him at that moment. That was a 1950s definition of what it means to be tolerant of other races. Wow, one of the most disgusting displays of racism I have seen in quite some time.

-Jason "I need to look around and see if columnists/bloggers are ripping Colton for that" Evans

By far the dumbest move ever made on Survivor. So dumb that it makes me wonder, big time, if it was something scripted by the Producers. There is almost no other excuse for it otherwise.

But, assuming that it was legit...are you kidding me!!!!! As so many others have said - why, why, why? You have the numbers. Wait until the next loss and take him out. Or lose the next challenge when you outnumber the women 8-6. Now you've made it tied. One more loss and they have the numbers going forward. Just inane.

As for Colton. He's the worst kind of human being. A member of an underrepresented and discriminated against group (the Gay/Bi crowd) who is a racist, classist, sexist jerk. I loved Bill's last comment after the credits when he said, "he looks down on me because of my differences, and I accept him because of his" So well said.

Of course, he's a great villain, which is what Survivor wants. But he's a terrible human being, at least at this point in his life.

And I agree with his head rolling as beyond infuriating. "Oh, you're trying to say something important? Let me completely dismiss that as unimportant." Spoiled, immature, pampered, sophomoric. You name it. He's it. And why the group doesn't turn on him is beyond me.

Here's hoping he doesn't go much further. Probst clearly doesn't like him...so maybe the twist will come to shake him out, since it seems everyone pretty much thinks he's a waste.

Oh, and the last thing....the whole "we're going to Tribal Council so we can vote out the guy who lied to us" was such a farce. Leif did some of the worst acting since Ozzie last year. It was obvious that they were going there to get rid of Bill, because Colton didn't like him, and the group did not want a fight in their camp.

I will say, however, that the brief image of Leif climbing into the wooden box was hysterical. Size can have its advantage!
    Last edited by JBDuke; 03-12-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: edited out PPB content

Remember that Colton has an immunity idol. He'll need to be blindsided!

9F 9F 9F

The WSJ has me blogging Survivor recaps. Here is the one I did for tonight. These are just a basic summary of what happened in the episode. At some point, I may start to put opinion in them, but I don't want to rock the boat just yet

-Jason "I think Colton is long, long, long for this game... sadly" Evans

Not a fan of last night's reshuffle at all. I don't think it was necessary as the women had recently become fairly competitive in challenges and the men were voting off strength, but more importantly it doesn't make the men have to deal with the consequences of one of the stupidest things ever done in the game.

Was interesting at least to see Colton go to work immediately and take command of the "weak" tribe. He's done a good job of blindsiding people, and orchestrating the as everyone is saying "as long as it's not me, I'm ok with who you want." I think he can last long in the game, but has ZERO chance of getting any jury votes the way he is playing. I do think that if he had ended up on the other tribe with stronger alliances they might have voted him off sooner, but think he's quickly accumulated power on his current tribe so we'll be seeing him a lot until at least the merge.

Is Tarzan putting on an act (for what purpose I have no idea), or is he that loony?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Not a fan of last night's reshuffle at all. I don't think it was necessary as the women had recently become fairly competitive in challenges and the men were voting off strength, but more importantly it doesn't make the men have to deal with the consequences of one of the stupidest things ever done in the game.

Was interesting at least to see Colton go to work immediately and take command of the "weak" tribe. He's done a good job of blindsiding people, and orchestrating the as everyone is saying "as long as it's not me, I'm ok with who you want." I think he can last long in the game, but has ZERO chance of getting any jury votes the way he is playing. I do think that if he had ended up on the other tribe with stronger alliances they might have voted him off sooner, but think he's quickly accumulated power on his current tribe so we'll be seeing him a lot until at least the merge.

Is Tarzan putting on an act (for what purpose I have no idea), or is he that loony?
    That's a good point about the men not having to face the music after choosing to go to tribal. Here's the problem now, Colton seems to have convinced Alicia into getting rid of the women in the new tribe. At first she wasn't so keen on the idea then all of a sudden it's a go? Doesn't she realize her neck is on the chopping block once all the pawns are gone? ARGH! I despise this guy to no end but man, ya gotta hand it to him for playing these people.

Colton has 0 redeeming value, yet continues to manage the tribes he's in. Can someone enligten me on how he achieves this? Heck, he just voted off the strongest player in a very weak tribe. I just don't get it.

Looks like someone got hurt pretty bad in the upcoming episode. I don't want to wish ill will on anyone...but...