Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    From my WSJ recap...

Kim’s plan is to put most of the votes toward Troy, but put two on Christina just in case Troy plays another hidden immunity idol. Sabrina does one of the most foolish things in Survivor history and actually tells Christina about this plan. She plays it off like she is trying to be honest with Christina, but she basically just told Christina that she is low-woman on the totem pole. The only question is if Christina has the desire or ability to do something about it. I doubt it.

Christina seems unsure of herself and barely protests at all about folks casting votes her way. She is a terrible player. She tries to feel out Troyzan to see if he will vote for Chelsea, but it seems so aimless and half-hearted, even he doesn’t want to go along with it.
    Christina is the kind of player I HATE to see on the show. I don't need everyone to be an "alpha" trying to control everything and dominate the game, but when people stare you in the face and tell you over-and-over again that they don't like you... well, I expect you to at least think about doing something to change up the game.

Christina may even make it to the end, but she cannot win. She has no respect from anyone. I can't believe she has been so passive and worthless. Early on, she was the odd-man-out among the women. Then, there was a shuffle and she was the target of spiteful scorn from Colton and Alicia. And now, after making the merge, she has again been the woman singled out as the outsider. AND SHE DID NOTHING. Lame, lame, lame!

-Jason "more later" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    From my WSJ recap...

Christina is the kind of player I HATE to see on the show. I don't need everyone to be an "alpha" trying to control everything and dominate the game, but when people stare you in the face and tell you over-and-over again that they don't like you... well, I expect you to at least think about doing something to change up the game.

Christina may even make it to the end, but she cannot win. She has no respect from anyone. I can't believe she has been so passive and worthless. Early on, she was the odd-man-out among the women. Then, there was a shuffle and she was the target of spiteful scorn from Colton and Alicia. And now, after making the merge, she has again been the woman singled out as the outsider. AND SHE DID NOTHING. Lame, lame, lame!

-Jason "more later" Evans
    I can't stand any of these people on the bottom, especially the ones who have no reason to think that they can make it to the top three or much less win. How does Tarzan think he's going to win this game? Who on that jury would vote for him? Does Kat think that any of the men will have any respect for the game she played by just following Chelsea and Kim? What has she done to earn any votes? Christina - you're really okay with them putting your name down as a back up in case Troyzan plays an idol? And your strategy is to go to Troyzan and say let's me and you vote Chelsea? Are you sure two votes for Chelsea will be enough? Do you know how many people are writing your name down?

This is the week when something would have to happen. The bottom four need to take out Kim then Chelsea then Sabrina. But it seems like Kim and Chelsea have convincd Alicia that she is in the top 3 even though I think it's Sabrina, Kim and Chelsea to the end. And I think Alicia is the only one who can rally the foursome.

I'm curious to see how long Chelsea and Kim can hold out. Chelsea has to know if she is in the finals with Kim, she'll probably lose. So when, if at all, does she make her big move? Will Kim know it and play her idol? There's still a lot of strategy potential left in the game, but there's no evidence yet that any of these players are aware of their options.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I'm curious to see how long Chelsea and Kim can hold out. Chelsea has to know if she is in the finals with Kim, she'll probably lose.
    Dissent. There may be a lot of resentment toward Kim as the person who led the alliance that voted everyone out. We often see the alliance-leader fail to win the jury vote while the strongest of the alliance-followers does. Chelsea is perfect in that role.

I do think there will be some respect given to the women who fared well in challenges and controlled the game. And while Kim may seem the obvious choice there, I think Chelsea will also get some love for her play so far.

-Jason "still a long way to go!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My biggest question remains, why didnt Kat, Christina and Sebrina join forces with Troy and Tarzan, especially after being bypassed by Kim after she won reward? Don't they see they have no chance against the Kim/Chelsea duo? Next to go is most lilkely Tarzan, but he could be spared since he's no threat to win and a minor threat at best in challenges. Kat could be headed for the door very soon after Troy gave her a pat on the shoulder. She needs to make a move and I really wonder if she's capable...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    My biggest question remains, why didnt Kat, Christina and Sebrina join forces with Troy and Tarzan, especially after being bypassed by Kim after she won reward?
    Because Hollywood Henderson could spot them all 3 letters and they'd still get the spelling wrong?
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Is Burnett Losing it?

The key things about Burnett's two biggest shows are:

1) In Survivor, the Machiavellian back-stabbing and strong wills eventually come to a head when there are 7 players left. The winner is usually (as suggested) the #2 player - or the last remaining player from the "other" tribe. But to get there requires smart people.

2) In Amazing Race, half the fun is watching the idiots not be able to get from Point A to Point B without getting lost 18 times. My brother and his fiancee (ex) auditioned for the show (they were the only 1 of the 24 finalist couples that submitted an audition tape, but that's for another thread some time). The fact that they could read and write really kept them off. Burnett likes to have stupid people on this show. The last few seasons have been fun, but there haven't been enough dumb people. Even Big Brother Girl this season isn't near as dumb as the ex Miss Teen South Carolina.

Has he lost touch with what makes the shows tick?

I always laughed at the "I deserve to be here longer than [Kat]" arguments, but after last week, I just feel completely empty watching the show now. Don't know if I'll even bother with the final 4 episodes.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    The key things about Burnett's two biggest shows are:

1) In Survivor, the Machiavellian back-stabbing and strong wills eventually come to a head when there are 7 players left. The winner is usually (as suggested) the #2 player - or the last remaining player from the "other" tribe. But to get there requires smart people.

2) In Amazing Race, half the fun is watching the idiots not be able to get from Point A to Point B without getting lost 18 times. My brother and his fiancee (ex) auditioned for the show (they were the only 1 of the 24 finalist couples that submitted an audition tape, but that's for another thread some time). The fact that they could read and write really kept them off. Burnett likes to have stupid people on this show. The last few seasons have been fun, but there haven't been enough dumb people. Even Big Brother Girl this season isn't near as dumb as the ex Miss Teen South Carolina.

Has he lost touch with what makes the shows tick?

I always laughed at the "I deserve to be here longer than [Kat]" arguments, but after last week, I just feel completely empty watching the show now. Don't know if I'll even bother with the final 4 episodes.
    Burnett isn't involved with the Amazing Race. He tried one summer with a similar program, but failed terribly.

His other big show is Celebrity Apprentice.

Here is my recap on the WSJ site.

Tribal council is fun… for everyone but Kat. First Kat gets bashed for picking the wrong people for the reward, then she gets bashed for being a selfish 22-year-old, and then folks seem upset at how she reacted to losing the immunity challenge. Jeff asks about blindsides and Kat says they are fun and exciting. She is looking forward to someone getting surprised. It is clear she has not even considered the possibility that she might be the one getting blind-sided! Like I said earlier, the Survivor gods love to punish this kind of thing.

The look on Kat’s face when Jeff reads her name over and over again is priceless. She was totally blind-sided and cries again as she walks off the show. Her post-vote-out confessional is more tears and she is totally embarrassed that she got voted out. She really does not get it at all. That same attitude that has her crying is the attitude that got her voted out. She will go down as one of the most immature players in Survivor history. Good riddance!
    It may be easy to lament that the show seems to be down to a lot of annoying characters, but I am choosing instead to enjoy the utter dominance of Kim. I was stunned last night that even as everyone was plotting against either Sabrina or Kat, they were running to Kim for final approval. No one dared to plan anything without Kim on board. She is completely in control and I cannot see how she does not make the finals. The only question is who she will have sitting next to her. Will she hurt some of her close friends -- especially Chelsea -- by taking undeserving players who are easier to beat? It seems that is her plan.

I think Kim will do everything she can to engineer Alicia sitting next to her as everyone hates Alicia. Ideally, for her, Christina or Tarzan is the other finalist. I think Sabrina or Chelsea would be a major threat in a final vote.

Sure, it may not be as dramatic as Russell backstabbing everyone but Kim's control of the game is fun to watch and worth sticking around to see it play out. At least that is my take.

-Jason "Kat seemed so intent on not looking bad, but she ended up playing the fool the entire time she was on the show" Evans

One other note worth touching on Kat, was I the only one who thought the relationship between Kat and her cousin was a little odd? Were they using words to interact with each other?

My prediction is that next week, one of the obvious ones will go (I'm betting Christina). The week after that the claws will come out.

Here is my recap on the WSJ site.

It may be easy to lament that the show seems to be down to a lot of annoying characters, but I am choosing instead to enjoy the utter dominance of Kim. I was stunned last night that even as everyone was plotting against either Sabrina or Kat, they were running to Kim for final approval. No one dared to plan anything without Kim on board. She is completely in control and I cannot see how she does not make the finals. -Jason "Kat seemed so intent on not looking bad, but she ended up playing the fool the entire time she was on the show" Evans
    I'm not so sure Kim is in total control here. Wasn't it Chelsea's idea to get rid of Kat and wasn't Kim against that move initally? I'd say it's about 50/50 now after that episode. As soon as Kat started spouting off on the blindsides and now much fun they are, I turned to Mrs. Doug.I.Am and said, "she's gone, no way do the Survivor Gods let her live another day." Poor kid, she should have listened to me and left that alliance 2 weeks ago.

I'm not so sure Kim is in total control here. Wasn't it Chelsea's idea to get rid of Kat and wasn't Kim against that move initally? I'd say it's about 50/50 now after that episode.
    I disagree. If you listened to Chelsea, she clearly said she would not do anything without consulting with and getting the approval of Kim first. Kim had already expressed some misgivings about Kat being tight and flirty with the men who will dominate the jury, so I don't think it took much to convince Kim to take Kat out instead of Sabrina. I also suspect Kim saw a tidal wave of folks upset at Kat and realized there was no reason to take a stand at this point for someone who might be a dangerous opponent later on anyway.

Poor kid, she should have listened to me and left that alliance 2 weeks ago.
    You know, one interesting phenomenon is how people don't realize where they stand in alliances the way we see it on TV. It happens like this every season and has happened a lot this season. Kat truly thought she was bullet proof. I don't know why, but she was convinced of this. Alicia seems to be the same way. I suspect Alicia is going to last a while, as she is detestable, though not because she is running the show as she seems to be convinced.

Christina is the one who truly baffles me. How can someone go on Survivor and be this clueless about how the show works and where she stands in the pecking order. Pathetic.

-Jason "if Chelsea makes it to the finals, I think she may be a unbeatable" Evans

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    If Kim truly were in control, that was an incredibly dumb move by her. There were 2 contestants that were pretty much guaranteed to get 0 jury votes(Kat and Alicia) and she just sent one of them home. She also sent home an alliance member who was a complete lap dog for her, who is now going to be quite bitter. For the jury to get in successive weeks Troy and then Kat in this state, I actually think Kim will be very hard pressed to win now. With a male dominated jury mostly ousted by Kim, Tarzan would get their votes over her, I think Sabrina would get votes over her, Chelsea would get votes over her, and I think Christina would have a really good chance of getting votes over her. That last may surprise some, but think about it. If she gets to the final 3 and just says "Hey, I came here to work my hardest, try to help everyone out and that's what I did. For whatever reason, I was never able to be in the in alliance, and people treated me pretty horribly, but I still kept working to make everyone as comfortable and happy as possible, I was a loyal member, even to folks who maybe weren't deserving of it(taking care of Colton etc), and I betrayed no one." I think she could get votes that way, especially from the male jury.
    Kat and Alicia were Kim's best shot at a cakewalk to the million dollars. Now you've got people feeling like they were or might be betrayed by someone they thought they could trust. Not a way to engender positive feelings. I think its analogous to Coach's decision to boot Brandon instead of Sophie towards the end of last season. Getting rid of a loyal sheep who was never going to get any votes can only come back to bite you in the rear.

From my Survivor recap on the WSJ site --

Back at camp, Alicia and Christina are furious at Chelsea for picking Kim for her third reward in a row. They sit with Tarzan and the three of them all say they want to take Chelsea out next. Tarzan even smartly points out that if Kim resists the move against Chelsea, it means that Kim is secretly allied with Chelsea. He effectively puts Kim’s head on the chopping block too. After weeks of looking like a dolt, Tarzan is suddenly looking like a genius.

Wait… I spoke too soon. Kim seizes control again very quickly. Is anyone surprised? She and Alicia have a heart-to-heart and Kim convinces Alicia that Tarzan is working against her. Alicia, who seems to change her mind three times every episode, now sounds like she is against Tarzan.
    This moment is one where Kim shows why she is more than just a "really good player" and actually belongs in the pantheon of the greats in Survivor history. She is in so much control that even when someone appears to be making a winning move... a move that includes a protection against Kim re-seizing control... she is still able to bring the game back under her control. This whole season (once we got past the annoying, racist Colton storyline) has been about Kim's ability to control what everyone else is doing. It is a wonder to behold.

I have a hard time seeing how Kim is not a lock to be in the final 3. Her idol protects her from the next vote, but even more significantly than that, everyone still in the game trusts her and wants to be on her side. She can pick who she wants to sit next to at the end. Now that is true control! The only question left is if the jury hates her for controlling things. Lets not forget that Kim engineered Mike's ouster by fabricating a lie that he was plotting against the men. She then took out Jay who also thought he was in an alliance with her. Their downfall led to Troyzan's eventual demise. Kat most certainly feels that she was betrayed by Kim (and Kat is feeble-minded enough so that I am sure she holds a grudge). It is a safe bet that the next 2 people voted out will also feel Kim lied to them. She will have a lot of work to do rehabbing her image to the jury. I think it may be too tough a task.

That is why I think that either Sabrina or Chelsea will win it all if one of them makes it to the end. Kim's best chance, in my opinion, would seem to be a finals with spineless Christina and annoying/arrogant Alicia next to her. Even then, I think her hill to climb will be tough. If she is part of the effort to vote out Sabrina and Chelsea, they are both going to feel betrayed by her.

We'll see. It is hard to read the jury and know how angry it feels. Mike flipping off Tarzan last night was a sign that the jury is full of bitter people.

-Jason "on Sunday, another season will be done... number 24" Evans

What I can wrap my head around is this - once the top 3 left for their excursion on the boat, why, WHY couldn't the 3 left back at camp stand united in an effort to remove Kim, Chelsea or Sabrina? I mean, it's pretty common knowledge I'd think that the Tarzan, Christina and Alicia were next on the chopping block. The only way any of those would have any chance would be to get rid of Kim and Chelsea. So what to they do? They get rid of one of their own who had absolutely ZERO chance of winning this game. So what if he couldn't be trusted, it's the only chance you got. ARGH! In my eyes, this has a been a season of misfits.

I agree Jason - Kim is a very good player but she needs to blindside Chelsea to win it and that could have ripple effects. I don't see how anyone but Kim or Chelsea wins this.

For me, the only suspense in the final vote/reunion show was whether Colton could redeem himself. And he couldn't. The contempt he has for other people continues to show on his face. His mother is sweet, but she failed to raise a good person.
    No soup for you!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlBluRew View Post
    For me, the only suspense in the final vote/reunion show was whether Colton could redeem himself. And he couldn't. The contempt he has for other people continues to show on his face. His mother is sweet, but she failed to raise a good person.
    That was pretty pathetic and people seemed liked they actually liked the guy. Not a doubt in my mind he comes back to the show.

I got a kick out of Alicia who thought she played a great game. Not seeing she was in the bottom 3 of the remaining 6 is not what I'd refer to as good game play. She did mention last night that she had Tarzan and Christina in her hip pocket. Well, if you did, don't you think you had a better chance of beating those 2 than Kim, Chelsea or Sabrina? And what was Christina thinking when she basically gave up after learning she was on the chopping block. Really??? My goodness, do something girl. Lie, cheat, deceive...Play the game!

I didn't see the entire voting but the biggest surprise to me was Sabrina getting 2 votes to Chelea's zero. I didn't quite understand that. Sabrina didn't do a damn thing in the challenges. This was Kim's game and she deserved it.

Didn't hear, where is the next game?

First of all, here is my recap on the WSJ site...

As for why Sabrina got 2 votes... here is what I wrote during the final Tribal Council as the three ladies gave their opening statements:

Sabrina is third. She admits to being lousy in the challenges. The most important thing she says is that she just got laid off from her job as a teacher. She essentially makes an economic appeal. I need the money! This is a smart move.
    I think that folks who did not want to vote for Kim went for the woman who had the economic need. Though I agree that it was surprising Chelsea did not get any support. I think the show did not show how cold she was to everyone. She was not well-liked.

I do want to point out something that I thought was a brilliant move on Kim's part. Here is what I wrote just before we learned whether Kim would be taking out Christina or Sabrina--

I actually think at this point that Kim should keep Sabrina around and get rid of Christina. Christina is such a lousy player that she will get no votes. So, if the final is Kim plus a strong player plus Christina then the jury will really only have a choice between Kim and the other strong player. By getting rid of Christina, Kim may be dividing the “anti-Kim vote” among Chelsea and Sabrina.

I am not sure if Kim agrees or if she has just decided to stay loyal to her alliance, but the trio of strong players stick together and take out Christina. It means the jury will be deciding among three very smart, strong, competitive players. Kim has been the leader, but Sabrina and Chelsea have both been very deserving. It is one of the strongest final trios in Survivor history!
    It was a tremendously smart move by Kim to sit next to Chelsea and Sabrina versus Alicia and Christina... but not for the reason I cited. I think having the trio that had dominated all along up there at the end gave the jury no easy way out if they wanted to vote against the folks who had engineered their demise. If Christina had been there, even though she was totally undeserving, the jury would have had a non-threatening option. By eliminating her, Kim took away one of then jury's options. I also think the jury gained respect for Kim when she chose to go to the end with 2 strong, long-time allies as opposed to being a backstabber to the end and taking evil Alicia and undeserving Christina.

Lastly, someone asked about the end edition of the show. They said it will be based in the Philippines and they really highlighted the danger. Then they said there would be 3 tribes, each one led by a former contestant who was eliminated from the show for medical reasons. I immediately said, "YES!! Michael Skupin!!" For those of you who have not been watching all along, Michael Skupin was a great player in season 2, Australian Outback. He was the guy who fashioned his own spear and actually killed a wild boar with his bare hands. STUD!! But, he was warming himself over the fire and passed out due to smoke inhalation and fell into the fire, suffering severe burns on his hands and arms. Michael had been at the core of an alliance that was dominating the game, but his medical evac hurt their numbers and led to the downfall of his tribe. At the end of the game, most of the other players said they were convinced Michael would have won had he not gotten hurt.

I have been doing a little digging and it does appear that Michael will be one of the 3 medical evac returnees. I am sure people will speculate about Colton being one of them too, but I think his horrid job of rehabbing his image last night makes that impossible. That was just painful to watch as even his mother went on live national TV and essentially indicated her child said some really hateful things.

Anyway, back on point, the interwebs are saying that the other 2, in addition to Skupin, returnees will be Jonathan Penner and Russell Swann. Penner, you may recall, was originally on Cook Islands where he was known for flip-flopping back and forth between alliances. He was a great character and made it pretty far in the game. He then came back for Fans vs. Favorites and was medical evac'd with a knee injury fairly early in the season... though he had been playing very well up until then. Russell Swan was the guy with the dredlocks on Samoa who was the leader of the dominating alliance but who got dehydrated an kept on fainting. It is likely that his evacuation helped open the door for Russell Hanz to seize control of the game.

I'd be down with Michael, Russell, and Jonathan returning to the game. Each was in a good position when illness forced them to withdraw.

-Jason "it will be interesting to see if this internet intel is correct" Evans

I got a kick out of Alicia who thought she played a great game. Not seeing she was in the bottom 3 of the remaining 6 is not what I'd refer to as good game play. She did mention last night that she had Tarzan and Christina in her hip pocket. Well, if you did, don't you think you had a better chance of beating those 2 than Kim, Chelsea or Sabrina? And what was Christina thinking when she basically gave up after learning she was on the chopping block. Really??? My goodness, do something girl. Lie, cheat, deceive...Play the game!

I didn't see the entire voting but the biggest surprise to me was Sabrina getting 2 votes to Chelea's zero. I didn't quite understand that. Sabrina didn't do a damn thing in the challenges. This was Kim's game and she deserved it.
    I also thought it was laughable that Alicia thought she was a kingpin in the game. It was shown just how thoroughly she was outmatched when Kim convinced her that Tarzan was out to get her. Also, maybe I am remembering incorrectly, but I thought that Alicia was going to be the one the women would have voted out if not for the men giving up their immunity. She was never firmly in control of anything.

As for Sabrina, she didn't do anything in challenges, but she always seemed like a quiet overlord to me. She was always in the power voting positions, but she wasn't an outward backstabber like Kim was. My wife and I both thought she had a chance, whereas Chelsea came across as Kim's second fiddle. Chelsea burned all of the same bridges that Kim did, but Kim was viewed as the one who made the decisions.

In the end, the right person won. I have a hard time viewing Kim as one of the best ever, though, but maybe just because she didn't project the same confidence that the all-time greats did (Hatch, Boston Rob, Yul, Parvati, etc.). She always seemed like she was keeping too many back-up plans in play at the same time, and it all could have too easily unraveled if someone was wise enough to catch her.

First of all, here is my recap on the WSJ site...

It was a tremendously smart move by Kim to sit next to Chelsea and Sabrina versus Alicia and Christina... but not for the reason I cited. I think having the trio that had dominated all along up there at the end gave the jury no easy way out if they wanted to vote against the folks who had engineered their demise. If Christina had been there, even though she was totally undeserving, the jury would have had a non-threatening option. By eliminating her, Kim took away one of then jury's options. I also think the jury gained respect for Kim when she chose to go to the end with 2 strong, long-time allies as opposed to being a backstabber to the end and taking evil Alicia and undeserving Christina.
    Jason, I think that's 20/20 hindsight. Colby did the same thing in one of the earlier seasons and took Tina to the final Tribal Council instead of a weaker player, only to have her beat him. I think the best strategy is to take the weakest players because the vast majority of the time the jury votes out of respect, not revenge. I thought Kim made a mistake not taking Christina and Alicia, but she got away with it.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Jason, I think that's 20/20 hindsight. Colby did the same thing in one of the earlier seasons and took Tina to the final Tribal Council instead of a weaker player, only to have her beat him. I think the best strategy is to take the weakest players because the vast majority of the time the jury votes out of respect, not revenge. I thought Kim made a mistake not taking Christina and Alicia, but she got away with it.
    Jurys are different. Sometimes they vote out of respect (Boston Rob and Kim) and sometimes they vote out of spite (like when Rob lost to Alicia or when Russell lost to Nathalie). It is hard to say. My point was that I thought Kim effectively defused the spite vote by taking deserving people with her. It showed respect for the game and a confidence in what she had done. It also showed she was not just some cutthroat villain who would stab anyone in the back to win the game.

--Jason "you are right tho, it could have been risky" Evans