Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coach Collins

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    We could use some taller posters on this board, too. What's the average height around here anyway, 5'9? Pathetic. If we really want a community of basketball scholars, we need to eliminate everyone under 6'4. Let's start by assigning pitchforks based on height.
    All for it since I'm 6'6"

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    We could use some taller posters on this board, too. What's the average height around here anyway, 5'9? Pathetic. If we really want a community of basketball scholars, we need to eliminate everyone under 6'4. Let's start by assigning pitchforks based on height.
    I'm 6'8" and played in the post!! That should be worthy of another pitchfork! But wait, that means I know nothing about guard play so I guess that cancels it out...

Having been around Chris and Wojo during coaches clinics and various other events and such, I can tell you that both want to be head coaches, but as has been said, they're waiting for the right job. For instance Dayton flirted with Wojo last season and this kind of thing hs gone on for a while. I know for a fact through top notch sources that Collins is on a list of prospective coaches at Illinois and or his name is being tossed about by major boosters. Collins is a fantastic X's and O's guy and has boundless energy and is a top notch recruiter. He has the total package and who wouldn't look into the Illini job should they come knocking. Those X's and O's skills would be missed at Duke for sure too. Capel has been in more of an observer role thus far, but he too, will be courted. And Wojo? He is a film master. During the Duke win over West Virginia, I could hear him yelling out instructions to the defense on where to be and what was about to happen in the WVU sets. He was all over it and to say it was impressive would be an understatement. Duke has a fantastic coaching staff and they all have major strengths but they are all too, waiting for a good opportunity for all are happy being beside Coach K at Duke.

Inasmuch as Krzyzewski has long had great success recruiting in his home state and inasmuch as Duke is pursuing a number of very attractive prepsters in Illinois, Collins heading the Illini program could get most interesting.

The problem with Chris and Wo always looking for the "right fit"

Chris is getting a little bit of play for Illinois it seems, at least in the media.

Problem is, it's going to be really, really tough to get a job a program like Illinois -- which is a top 20 job at the worst -- with no head coaching experience. You have to be perfect to beat out guys that have actually had success running a program, like Gregg Marshall, let alone guys like Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart when Chris (or Wo) can't point to tournament success or a Final Four banner of their own. And whether it's fair or not, Quin and Tommy struggling as they did (and the jury still being out on Johnny) doesn't help much at all either. Quin went straight to Mizzou, and that didn't end well at all. Tommy went straight to Seton Hall, left it in bad shape when he went to Michigan, and struggled there terribly.

I would be very, very surprised if Illinois hires Chris.

Mike Thomas has hired four coaches as a BCS AD, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones and Mick Cronin at Cincy and Tim Beckman at Illinois. All had prior head coaching experience. Chris doesn't. There are too many good candidates who are head coaches to think Chris is going to overcome that hole in his resume.

Chris and Wo have been assistants for a long, long time, and if they do aspire to be BCS level head coaches, let alone the head coach at Duke, they probably need to get some experience. That might mean a step they didn't envision like a high quality A-10 job like Dayton or an MVC job like Wichita State or the like, but realistically, they need to prove that they can run the show themselves. Absent that, I guess they are waiting for a job like Utah or Rutgers to open -- and I'd note both of those schools hired HCs from other schools as well.
    Last edited by Chicago 1995; 02-22-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typos

I would agree that the Utah basketball program isn't your typical "mid-major" and that it might be difficult for Collins to get a serious look there without any previous head coaching experience. Kentucky it may be not, but Utah has a storied basketball tradition that dates back to the '40s, when the Runnin' Utes won their first and only national championship. They've also been to 26 NCAA Tournaments, the fifth most of any school all-time, and we all know the heights the program reached under Rick Majerus in the 1990s behind Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller and Michael Doleac. That '97 team, which lost in the regional finals to Kentucky, was actually better than the team Utah sent to the national finals a year later. That trio of Van Horn, Miller and Doleac was something to watch.

Then again, Utah's string of coaches since Majerus has been Ray Giacoletti, Jim Boylen and Larry Krystkowiak and they've all been terrible. So perhaps bringing a bigger name like Collins to Salt Lake would help rejuvenate a fallen power. Tradition-rich history, loyal fanbase, Cameron-like home-court advantage and an attractive city to sell to recruits. Plus, you have the recent success of so many recent NBA draft picks. Van Horn, Miller, Doleac, Bogut, etc. There would be a lot to work with.

I also just set a record for most times mentioning Keith Van Horn in one post.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke's history of HC's...
    I agree with those that think having HC experience at another school is a bonus to landing one of the big jobs, but if you look at Duke's current crop of K's tree, only one really went that route; Mike Brey started at Delaware.
    Amaker, Dawkins and Quin Snyder went from assistants on Duke's bench to rather big league jobs out of the gate. Amaker to Seton Hall, Dawkins to Stanford and Snyder to Missouri, so there is plenty of precedent for jumping from K's hip to steering a big ship.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

With the usual disclaimer that I hope not to have to deal with this for a number of years, I think my vote would be for Amaker, who seems to really be hitting his stride. I think Collins would be a good coach, but I get gun-shy when thinking about his father. Doug is pretty close to unparalleled with X's and O's, but he's super-intense and universally wears out his welcome when he runs out of buttons to push. I realize Chris is his own man, and it's a lot different dynamic coaching in college than the pros, but I'd still have trouble getting past that. (Call me crazy -- no really, do that!) That said, Chris knows the game and has as much experience learning under a true master than anyone.

I have a great feeling about Wojo; I don't think he necessarily needs head coaching experience after being so close to the top for so many years at Duke. I like Capel as well, though those last few years at Oklahoma were pretty rough.