Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach Collins

Turnover and Pecking Order

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Let's say hypothetically Chris Collins does get courted to Illinois which I also believe he would be a good fit. He has the ties to Chicago and has been a top assistant to the most consistent program in the country. Who would we bring in to replace Collins? Would we think about bringing Paulus on from OSU? Just a thought I have no clue, but definitely a possibility. Him or Carrawell
    There's a pecking order: Nate James, Carrawell, Spatola, all of whom who are or have been recently connected to the program. But realistically, I expect two of the three -- Collins, Wojo, Capel -- to be gone in the next 2-3 years.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers
    Expect lots of posts about how Duke should hire a tall coach for the post players. Abdul-Jabbar or Laettner or even Shaq.
    If we can't get somebody in basketball, what about hiring the Space Needle? I wonder if Seattle is very attached to that. It would look extremely intimidating standing on the sideline and, at 184 meters tall, it would be over 600 feet bigger than Wojo. That would surely help to at least quiet his strongest critics, who, nothing short of Coach K hiring King Kong, are never going to be fully happy with our big man coach anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    We need a tall quarterback too.
    We could use some taller posters on this board, too. What's the average height around here anyway, 5'9? Pathetic. If we really want a community of basketball scholars, we need to eliminate everyone under 6'4. Let's start by assigning pitchforks based on height.

I'm 6' 2"...Can I have another pitchfork? I only have one right now.

GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    We could use some taller posters on this board, too. What's the average height around here anyway, 5'9? Pathetic. If we really want a community of basketball scholars, we need to eliminate everyone under 6'4. Let's start by assigning pitchforks based on height.
    Can this height be adjusted for female posters? Although at 5'4" I'm probably doomed either way.

I heard an interview with Doug Collins (Chris's father) a couple years ago where he talked about Chris. Said that Chris had been approached by other schools with head coaching offers, but he was waiting for the right opportunity. He doesn't want to go to a small school, which I interpreted to mean not in a major conference. He also didn't see him succeeding Coach K due to the pressures of following a legend. At the time there was speculation that Jim Calhoun might be stepping down, but Doug didn't foresee Chris being interested in that for the same reason. Based on this, a school like Illinois seems like it would be a good fit.

He went on to say that Coach K is really grooming Collins and Wojo to be head coaches. Coach K acts as the "CEO" of the company, meaning he delegates a large amount of responsibility to his assistants. It's an ideal situation for those guys to learn from the best.

So it sounds like Collins is ready to be a head coach (and Wojo too, for that matter) but is in no hurry and is willing to wait for the right opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Lavabe needs to post more. He's like '6-7".

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

29 was not a Halftime Score for Coach Doh's Team

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Holy cow! It's not just that Doherty and SMU are on the bottom of Conference USA, but it's also that the Mustangs scored only 29 points in losing to UAB. Twenty-nine? As in B-29? Bombs away!!

sage

Postscript: it was only 28 points. I gave SMU and Doh too much credit. Do you think it was an attempt to make it look like a football score?

sage
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 02-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Holy cow! It's not just that Doherty and SMU are on the bottom of Conference USA, but it's also that the Mustangs scored only 29 points in losing to UAB. Twenty-nine? As in B-29? Bombs away!!

sage
    I would joke about that being a football score, but June Jones would never want to settle for just four touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed Chris running the huddle several times during the last few games? ...
    Anybody notice during (I think) the last or next to last timeout last night (maybe when the refs were putting time back on the clock), K was running the huddle but Collins seemed to yell/talk right over him and gesture emphatically, and it looked like K told him to back off/hush ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Anybody notice during (I think) the last or next to last timeout last night (maybe when the refs were putting time back on the clock), K was running the huddle but Collins seemed to yell/talk right over him and gesture emphatically, and it looked like K told him to back off/hush ...
    I noticed that, it was pretty funny. Collins was fired up and K seemed like he was saying, "I've got this, thanks. I'll let you know when you get draw up a game-winning shot again."

Nebraska 80 Illinois 57

Weber's days have to be numbered. This was a bad loss to a Nebraska team that is 4-10 in the conference.

Coach Collins, be prepared for a call; gotta think he'll be a leading candidate.

How about ...

hiring Bobby Hurley away from his brother? Not that he is necessarily a better fit that James, Carrawell, Spatola, etc.

Rumors swirling in Big Ten country are that Buzz Williams of Marquette and Shaka Smart of VCU will be the two main targets for Illinois early on.

Unless Coach K handpicks Collins as the heir to the basketball empire in Durham, it is inevitable that Chris will, at least temporarily anyway, part ways with the program. I have always fretted this day and will be brokenhearted when it arrives. He bleeds for this school and, as Coach K once stated, was its bridge to greatness during the fragilely important period after 1995. Chris obviously needs to do what his best for him and his career, but it will be very painful to see his absence from the sideline in Cameron. His, and Wojo's, impassioned spirit and love for the game is uncannily similar to Coach, which actually isn't all that unusual considering they've been together for 20 years, and that's the type of leader I can only hope will follow in K's footsteps.

If he does leave, I hope he returns home soon.

Friday a week ago I asked Chris what his aspirations are? He said someday he'd like his own program, but that he's in absolutely no hurry to leave. His words, first hand.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

So, OZZIE, based on your personal conversation with Chris, what are your thoughts on him ever leading the Duke program? I'm pretty disappointed to hear that that might not be his ultimate dream. Although, I certainly understand the leviathan task of replacing an icon. In just the last 15 years, look at Craig Esherick at Georgetown, Mike Davis at Indiana and even the Bill Gutheridge/Matt Doherty combo in Chapel Hill. It's a tough situation.

I would love Chris at the helm here, though. At least a chance to see it play out. My feeling are the same with Wojo as well. These guys are absolute mirrors of K and his personality and compulsion to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    So, OZZIE, based on your personal conversation with Chris, what are your thoughts on him ever leading the Duke program? I'm pretty disappointed to hear that that might not be his ultimate dream. Although, I certainly understand the leviathan task of replacing an icon. In just the last 15 years, look at Craig Esherick at Georgetown, Mike Davis at Indiana and even the Bill Gutheridge/Matt Doherty combo in Chapel Hill. It's a tough situation.

I would love Chris at the helm here, though. At least a chance to see it play out. My feeling are the same with Wojo as well. These guys are absolute mirrors of K and his personality and compulsion to win.
    My "personal" conversation with Chris was a question asked in a semipublic forum, and he answered diplomatically. He and Wojo have the best assistant coaching positions in the country, and are probably (I am guessing here) better paid than some mid-level head coaches. Life is good, and comfortable, why rock the boat? They will both probably move on to HC positions at some point, I have no clue when. As for either replacing K when the time comes, I'd say they both have a 1 in 5 chance - I expect K's successor will be chosen from among Collins, Wojo, Dawkins, Capel and Amaker.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thanks for the insight, OZZIE. That's the circle of names from which I also would expect our next coach to be chosen, and, when the time arrives, the process leading to that decision and the years immediately following will be fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If he does leave, I hope he returns home soon.
    Me too.