Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach Collins

Coach Collins

Has anyone else noticed Chris running the huddle several times during the last few games? I have observed Chris drawing up a play and barking out instructions during a few time-outs while Coach K watches without saying a word. I can't remember ever seeing someone else run the huddle other than Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed Chris running the huddle several times during the last few games? I have observed Chris drawing up a play and barking out instructions during a few time-outs while Coach K watches without saying a word. I can't remember ever seeing someone else run the huddle other than Coach K.
    I noticed it for the first time in the Miami game I think, when Chris drew up the final play. Not positive, but pretty sure it was the Miami game. What I definitely do remember is commenting to someone "wow, do you see collins drawing up the final play?"

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I noticed it for the first time in the Miami game I think, when Chris drew up the final play. Not positive, but pretty sure it was the Miami game. What I definitely do remember is commenting to someone "wow, do you see collins drawing up the final play?"
    Leadership 101: Train your subordinates to succeed you, whether they do or not.

On yesterday's ESPNU College Basketball Monday Podcast, the Katz/Gottlieb one, they were talking about two coaches who either may not hold their jobs or may quit after the season - Bruce Webber of Illinois and Bill Carmody of Northwestern. In both cases, they thought Collins would be a prime candidate. For Illinois, they thought Collins would be the only non-head coach to be considered. Obviously, it's all speculation.

Illinois would be a decent fit for Chris. Northwestern, no. If you're northwestern, what's the point of firing the guy you've got there anyway, if you're not gonna commit the other resources to caring? What, you think someone's going to come to Northwestern and win 25 games playing a Big Ten schedule with Northwestern players?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Illinois would be a decent fit for Chris. Northwestern, no. If you're northwestern, what's the point of firing the guy you've got there anyway, if you're not gonna commit the other resources to caring? What, you think someone's going to come to Northwestern and win 25 games playing a Big Ten schedule with Northwestern players?
    I should have been more specific...they thought Weber might get fired and Carmody might quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Leadership 101: Train your subordinates to succeed you, whether they do or not.
    Hopefully this is several years from now, but does anyone think that Coach K would announce a retirement date and his replacement a few years in advance? That would help with recruiting consistency.

Collins mentioned this when he spoke to the Blue Devil Club last week. He'd done the scouting for the game and told Coach K he had something that might work, so K told him to draw it up.

K delegates a tremendous amount of responsibilities to his staff - because they all three played for him and they have a LOT of experience coaching for him, plus Jeff is a former head coach himself. Our assistants have more responsibilities than just about any other assistants in the country. So said the man himself a few weeks ago. He's said many times he has the best staff in the country, and he lets them do their "stuff".
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Hopefully this is several years from now, but does anyone think that Coach K would announce a retirement date and his replacement a few years in advance? That would help with recruiting consistency.
    I seriously doubt K would ever announce a date when he will retire. Just like his substitution patter he goes by feel and he will retire when he feels like it is time to do it not sooner and he isn't the type to announce it, not his style. I'm just going to enjoy watching the greatest coach continue to coach as long as he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I seriously doubt K would ever announce a date when he will retire. Just like his substitution patter he goes by feel and he will retire when he feels like it is time to do it not sooner and he isn't the type to announce it, not his style. I'm just going to enjoy watching the greatest coach continue to coach as long as he wants.
    In the Duke Magazine article this month, K said that he would stop when he "did not want to pay the price to win" -- i.e. all of the work and passion it takes to win. Can't see that happening for awhile, but agree it will come when K feels it is time.

Nope. He's been clear and consistent that he will know when it is time to hang it up, and he will leave at that time. He has said that when he doesn't feel like he can put in the effort necessary to win, then he'll know it is time, but he can't predict when that will be.

There are precedents for announcing retirement in advance, but it is not clear that it is a good idea. It will be interesting to see how things play out at Louisville, where Pitino announced that he will retire when his current deal is up (without naming his successor), and at San Diego State, where the program already has announced Steve Fisher's replacement once he retires.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Can't imagine Carmody leaving. He's under no pressure from inside NU to win more.

Who is he, King Lear?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Regarding Chris Collins, I really like his coaching potential. He looks like a coach. He is firey which I rather like. Not as big on the completely passive coach that just sits there. I think he is ready to be a head coach but like Johnny Dawkins before him is waiting on the right opportunity at a program committed to winning. It is obvious K trust him a lot. He has been having he and Wojo (though I mostly see Collins) doing the half-time interview and that combined with drawing up plays shows the confidence he has in Collins. The best way to learn how to do something is by doing it and that is what Krzyzewski is doing. Good year to do it too with such a young team that needs a lot of coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Who is he, King Lear?
    Does this mean that Lindy or Debbie will be the next coach?

Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does this mean that Lindy or Debbie will be the next coach?
    Uh-oh. Nobody let Jamie take a trip to France.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Let's say hypothetically Chris Collins does get courted to Illinois which I also believe he would be a good fit. He has the ties to Chicago and has been a top assistant to the most consistent program in the country. Who would we bring in to replace Collins? Would we think about bringing Paulus on from OSU? Just a thought I have no clue, but definitely a possibility. Him or Carrawell

If it happens

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Let's say hypothetically Chris Collins does get courted to Illinois which I also believe he would be a good fit. He has the ties to Chicago and has been a top assistant to the most consistent program in the country. Who would we bring in to replace Collins? Would we think about bringing Paulus on from OSU? Just a thought I have no clue, but definitely a possibility. Him or Carrawell
    Expect lots of posts about how Duke should hire a tall coach for the post players. Abdul-Jabbar or Laettner or even Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Expect lots of posts about how Duke should hire a tall coach for the post players. Abdul-Jabbar or Laettner or even Shaq.
    We need a tall quarterback too.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine